1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

Tire fell off while driving - Update

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 03:28 PM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
Tire fell off while driving - Update

Went to Lowes today and on the way home I felt the rear of the truck lift up, like the whole rear axle was being ripped off, and looked back to see the spare tire rolling across the road. Happily I was just leaving the parking lot but it was a jarring experience. The stationary bolt let go:

You can see where there was apparently a crack as there is only a sliver of silver metal. The rack was dragging behind the truck by the end that normally drops down, held on by a padlock.

I picked up what hardware I could find. The tire sheared off two of the bolts holding the bumper on when it lifted the truck up:

Just a bit of scratched paint where the bumper was wrenched up:

All I can say is I must be living right because this would have been much more serious at freeway speeds. I'll go ahead and take the bumper off, repaint it and, before I reattach it, secure the spare with new bolts AND a cable.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:46 PM
ultraranger
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
At least the wheel on the rear end didn't come off the truck --been there, done that while I was slowing down from 60 MPH to about 45. When the left rear wheel came off, it rolled the left rear quarter panel wheel opening on my '68 Mustang. After that incident, the wheel opening on my Mustang had more of the appearance of a '57 Chevy.

Get some grade-8 bolts, washers and nuts for the bumper --maybe even for the spare tire rack as well and anti-seize the threads before you torque them down.

Old 07-21-2016, 03:54 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Had the left rear tire come off a 53 Chevy 1 ton I was working on. Took it out of the shop and down the street. Tire fell off half way down the block and rolled up to a neighbors front porch.

All 8 lug nuts had spun off. I picked them up 1 by 1 down the street. Luckily it did no damage to the bed or fender. Just dropped down on the drum.

Still don't know how all those nuts got loose....

Old 07-21-2016, 05:08 PM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by ultraranger
--been there, done that while I was slowing down from 60 MPH to about 45. When the left rear wheel came off, it rolled the left rear quarter panel wheel opening on my '68 Mustang. After that incident, the wheel opening on my Mustang had more of the appearance of a '57 Chevy.
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
Had the left rear tire come off a 53 Chevy 1 ton I was working on. Took it out of the shop and down the street. Tire fell off half way down the block and rolled up to a neighbors front porch.
While I was in Belize for a few months back in '89, the resort I was working at had an old Jeep Cherokee - '75 or so. A couple of us went on an errand in it, hammering up and down an unpaved mountain road in it, for a good hour or so. Coming up the drive to the resort we heard a rubbing sound so we stopped and got out. The rear passenger axle had spun out from the truck a good 18 inches or so. Apparently a retainer had failed.

Again, it could have happened while we were up on that mountain and cast us down the side. Guess I'm lucky.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:46 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
I'm "glad" it was the spare and at low speed.

..Every year quite a few unfortunate folks get killed by errant tires.

So.. check your (lug) nuts!!!

Old 07-21-2016, 07:40 PM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
So.. check your (lug) nuts!!!
It felt like this, so I can tell you that EVERY part of me was rattled loose.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:54 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
I don't recall the member's name but he bought a relative clean bumpside which had been sitting a while. On the way home the left rear wheel and tire departed due to loose lug nuts.... and ruined the bed side.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:12 AM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
^^I recall that post.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:19 AM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks to me like the bolt was twisted almost off for a while. Good thing you were going slow. I could have been worse.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Brian1971f100
Looks to me like the bolt was twisted almost off for a while. Good thing you were going slow. I could have been worse.
Yeah. Here's the thing: I think this is my fault. The spare was hanging a little loose from that bolt. It wasn't tightened up to the frame and it was shifting and rattling, so I tightened it. This is the forward bolt, the opposite of the one you twist to drop the spare.

Anyway, I think that, because the bolt was fixed rigidly to the frame, the spare fatigued it by the natural rocking back and forth that happened when I drove the truck. In other words, I think that bolt was loose for a reason: so it could give a little and 'hold on loosely', as 38 Special put it.

What do you all think? How are the bolts done on your trucks, tight or loose?

Old 07-22-2016, 09:01 AM
Brian1971f100
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Countless times I have tweaked a bolt just to have it twist off and skin my knuckles. I hate when that happens.

Old 07-22-2016, 09:58 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Coastal68
Yeah. Here's the thing: I think this is my fault. The spare was hanging a little loose from that bolt. It wasn't tightened up to the frame and it was shifting and rattling, so I tightened it. This is the forward bolt, the opposite of the one you twist to drop the spare.

Anyway, I think that, because the bolt was fixed rigidly to the frame, the spare fatigued it by the natural rocking back and forth that happened when I drove the truck. In other words, I think that bolt was loose for a reason: so it could give a little and 'hold on loosely', as 38 Special put it.

What do you all think? How are the bolts done on your trucks, tight or loose?
Hardware that is supposed to be torqued are torqued. Bumper bracket nuts n bolts are tight... other non-structural hardware is snug, but not gorilla tight.

Every once in a while (usually while killing time) I'll do a bumper to bumper hardware check.. a preflight if you will. Vehicles that ride "hard" tend to loosen up like my former street-legal autocrosser... the suspension was really stiff like these trucks and hardware always loosened up and needed attention.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:35 AM
Coastal68
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Brian1971f100
Countless times I have tweaked a bolt just to have it twist off and skin my knuckles.
Hey, that's why they pay us the big bucks, right?

Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Every once in a while (usually while killing time) I'll do a bumper to bumper hardware check.. a preflight if you will. Vehicles that ride "hard" tend to loosen up like my former street-legal autocrosser... the suspension was really stiff like these trucks and hardware always loosened up and needed attention.
True, I'm always finding loose nuts and bolts when I work on various things on the truck. I'll snug up the new hanger and try to stabilize the spare.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:33 PM
kenny nunez
Fleet Mechanic
Received 166 Likes on 128 Posts
Tire , brake drum& axle

In 1965 I was towing a 56 F 100 with our wrecker when the everything came out. At least it did not hit anything or anyone.
I had to balance the tire on an angle and wrap a rag around the axle so I could roll it about a block. Then heave it into the back of the truck bed. Then go against traffic with the wrecker to pick up the rear of the truck.
I miss those days. NOT!

Old 07-23-2016, 02:42 AM
GaryKip
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Glad everyone is OK. Sure could have been worse.

Quick Reply: Tire fell off while driving - Update