1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

M5R2 vs T5

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 03:44 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I could go on and on about it all day and all night, I am very passionate about racing, it is our family thing, we don't go on vacation, the beach, the lake or out to dinner, we go to the race track ... I have been racing a long long time, ~50 years, The last 20 or so have been in circles and I had a boat load of trophies in various classes and types of racing ... Unfortunately like everything else they were destroyed in our house fire!

I have raced both trees, I personally very much dislike bracket racing.
Heads up on a pro tree or go home!
But, bracket racing is affordable for the masses and it keeps tracks open ... So it's all good!
I don't knock bracket racers, they are racers too.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 07-24-2016, 04:18 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by ctubutis
I searched summit's site for this but couldn't find it; can you find al ink for it, please? Might make a good birthday/Christmas/whatever present.

This is another thing she went on & on about, what time to declare. She's apparently at least halfway decent at this stuff, has lots of trophies & awards in her house, she even won overall first place in her class a few years ago.

Myself, I have never been on a drag strip.
Sorry a little late but I think this is it from what a read but the cover is different than mine, then again mine got to be close to 25 years old.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g5155/overview/
Dave ----

Old 07-24-2016, 04:40 PM
FuzzFace2
Fleet Owner
Received 2,086 Likes on 1,779 Posts
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
I could go on and on about it all day and all night, I am very passionate about racing, it is our family thing, we don't go on vacation, the beach, the lake or out to dinner, we go to the race track ... I have been racing a long long time, ~50 years, The last 20 or so have been in circles and I had a boat load of trophies in various classes and types of racing ... Unfortunately like everything else they were destroyed in our house fire!

I have raced both trees, I personally very much dislike bracket racing.
Heads up on a pro tree or go home!
But, bracket racing is affordable for the masses and it keeps tracks open ... So it's all good!
I don't knock bracket racers, they are racers too.

-Enjoy
There is just no way I would have the money it would take to run heads up as that is what it takes - who ever has the most money to put into the car wins!

I am a foot brake racer - none of this delay box and throttle stop crap for me. I am there to "drive" the car not just to sit in the seat a steer.

But that is me and what I like to race at the drag strip and why they have all the classes for other to run what they want.

I have also raced 4x4's off road - sand drags, Hill climbs, and the one I like the most 10 trucks at a time on a moto-x track for 10 laps.
Also did auto Cross with a Datsun 510 I built for road racing.
Was pit crew for a season on a 2 car stock car team - 1/8 mile asphalt track.
Dave ----

Old 07-25-2016, 02:49 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Originally Posted by FuzzFace2
There is just no way I would have the money it would take to run heads up as that is what it takes - who ever has the most money to put into the car wins!

I am a foot brake racer - none of this delay box and throttle stop crap for me. I am there to "drive" the car not just to sit in the seat a steer.

But that is me and what I like to race at the drag strip and why they have all the classes for other to run what they want.

I have also raced 4x4's off road - sand drags, Hill climbs, and the one I like the most 10 trucks at a time on a moto-x track for 10 laps.
Dave ----
I agree, heads up is all about money these days!

Without bracket racers many more tracks would of closed a long time ago, a lot did and found ways to reopen with help from funding from programs to get street racers off the streets.

That's why I moved to circle track, the race lasts longer and it's not all about money, don't get me wrong, money helps get ya there especially if some jack*** wrecks ya ... But it really doesn't help much on the track. I've seen some real low buck racers with hand me down junk kick butt.
The only real thing I hate about circle track, you are very much at the mercy of other drivers poor decisions that cost you money or worse.
I'm also just 13 minutes loaded from Beechridge Motor Speedway ...

Sand drags is something I have never done nor hill climbs in/on 4 wheels, two wheels yes.

My biggest problem has always been pride ... My cars/bikes gotta be spic and span show room ready as well as race ready. Or I don't go!
Yup, Snooty sounding, I'm really not though.

-Enjoy

Old 07-25-2016, 08:15 AM
Jumpdummy
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Thanks for the link. Good information.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:28 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Dave ----
This is funny.

Since we're contributing "I also do" stuff, here's another opportunity to brag about my sister... she also races her Ford Ranger on a frozen lake in the mountains in the wintertime (ice racing) and she won first place in her class last February (and I think the year before, too).

2016 Point Championships

Sorry if my bragging annoys you, I'm just proud of her.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:31 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
Do they run studs or anything on the tires?

Old 07-25-2016, 06:26 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Here in Maine they basically have 4 classes depending where you go, plain, chained, studded and picked. They also have age groups and ones for the ladies that don't race with the guys.

I have been on the ice ... It is a boat load of fun!

-Enjoy

Old 07-25-2016, 07:33 PM
ctubutis
I asked my sister in the Facebook chat thing, this is what she said:

Other folks do use studs or bolts
Expensive classes
I am street stock, ordinary tires. There is also an ice tire, I.e. blizzak class

Old 07-25-2016, 09:12 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Interesting. She grew up in Chicago and learned how to drive on ice and snow there?

Old 07-25-2016, 09:40 PM
ctubutis
No, she started driving here in Colorado; what brought on all this racing stuff, I have no idea.

Old 09-25-2016, 09:27 PM
ctubutis
Still need to be first at the finish line but not be faster than 15.75 so you back off or hit the brakes before the finish line. Being a slower car helps as I was the slower car most of the time.
Sorry to wake up an old thread but this is where we were talking about this before, I guess we can end it here, too.

This is apparently what she does, posts an ET that's slower than what he car will actually run.

Today wast he end-of-season finals at Bandimere... my sister made it into the semi-finals and was already guaranteed second place (something about points, I think). And she had an opportunity to get first, and get the big-*** cup at the banquet in December.

But she beat her ET by .003, didn't hit the brake hard or soon enough. *sigh*

Oh, well, I'm still proud of her, and will still go to the banquet in December.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:44 AM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Cool!