6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Help in S Texas

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 05:09 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Help in S Texas

San Antonio area.

My truck got wrecked and the shops are FULL UP on our last Hail storm, lot of EASY money in Hail Damage. Shop where its at Boerne Collision Center just told me today to come get it and take it someplace else, they are too busy with Hail work to mess with it...Its been 2 weeks and I don't even have an appraisal!!!!

I may need to rent a truck, I need a dependable truck that either has a 5th wheel hitich or is set up where I can just drop mine in. My 5th weighs 8,250 lbs and I need to travel as far N as Georgetown, Austin and down to the coast, Rockport area for my business, I sleep in my 5th wheel.

I only need the truck Thurs - Mon.

Does anyone know where I can rent a truck til mine gets fixed, which could be a few weeks to a few months, until I get an appraisal I have no idea.

My Ins company is looking HARD to find a shop that can take it.

I would need this starting in late Sept if worst comes to worst.

MY truck:

Pulled in and parked in front of house, got out, went in house changed clothes, did a few things and came outside, wife came over from the shop and we were standing there talking when she said: 'the truck moved'

WTH???

Its going faster

Truck rolled down hil 150 feet ran over a rock wall around a culvert that goes under my road to my pond. Front axle not sitting straight, truck bed torqued and into cab so possible frame damage???????

Truck was in Park and keys in the house with me. GO FIGURE and how after about 20 min it just started moving on its own!

Any leads on renting a truck, 5th wheel setup, w/AC, prefer crew cab w/8' bed, pull a Jayco 27.5 5th wheel.

Thanks...

Old 07-20-2016, 06:28 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,325 Likes on 1,742 Posts
Sorry to read of your misfortune. What month was your 2015 truck built?

Old 07-20-2016, 06:30 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Geez Don. I can't believe it. I wonder if the insurance company would total it out because of the frame and other damage?

I have never been able to find a rental truck with a 5th wheel hitch, much less a decent super duty at all. Best is a 1/2 ton rated truck without a 5th wheel.

Having said that as as a thought - Ryder rents big trucks for business purposes - can you drive a Class 5 truck (CDL?) with a bob tail converted to handle your 5th wheel?

Old 07-20-2016, 08:06 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Sorry to read of your misfortune. What month was your 2015 truck built?
Not sure exact, but I ordered it and took delievery 24 Dec. I am thining Oct-Nov???

Originally Posted by Dakster
Geez Don. I can't believe it. I wonder if the insurance company would total it out because of the frame and other damage?

I have never been able to find a rental truck with a 5th wheel hitch, much less a decent super duty at all. Best is a 1/2 ton rated truck without a 5th wheel.

Having said that as as a thought - Ryder rents big trucks for business purposes - can you drive a Class 5 truck (CDL?) with a bob tail converted to handle your 5th wheel?
Dunno, its on its way (if they can find a shop) to its 3rd shop and I still don't have an appraisal yet!

I don't have a CDL, so that would not work not guessing.

We use our 5th for living as we travel with our 5 dogs which is just not motel friendly at all, LOL.

Yea I have looked everywhere and did find some F240/350 setups, but they were out of business (oil field) and did find one place still in business I think up in the Dakota's still supporting the oil fields but he wasn't doing any business down here.

No pics of the front axle as you cannot tell that its pushed back unless you can compared both sides, drivers side is pushed back about 2 in.

Funny think did NOT hear that typical ratcheting that you often hear when putting in park and the truck moves a little bit. As the crow flies the truck only rolled about 150 ft or so, but it is down hill...

Old 07-20-2016, 08:52 PM
Y2KW57
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
Not sure exact, but I ordered it and took delievery 24 Dec. I am thining Oct-Nov???

Funny think did NOT hear that typical ratcheting that you often hear when putting in park and the truck moves a little bit.

Sorry to ask again, but what specific date, including year?

You don't need to answer for me... but you might want to look into this for your own benefit, for two reasons:

1. You estimated your build date as between Oct-Nov, which is interesting... because Ford had a recall on the transmission shift indication between Park and Drive on 3,973 model year 2015 trucks reportedly built between September 2013 and March 2014. I'm not sure that I understand these dates correctly, as I thought Job 1 for 2015 started after March of 2014, but every reference indicates that the affected Model Year is reported to be 2015.

2. You said you didn't "feel" the engagement into Park, even though you went through the motions of putting the shift lever into Park, and presumably the shift indicator also confirmed that you put the shifter into park. And this is EXACLTY the problem. Ford reportedly discovered, internally, that there could be up to a 1.5 second delay between the transmission indicator stating it is in position X, before the transmission itself actually engages into X.

So, if you pulled in at home, threw the shifter in Park, and shut the truck off right away because say, you had to use the bathroom in a hurry, or whatever... the vehicle could have lost power to shift before the actual shifter engaged. Even though the indicator instantly reported that you had placed the lever in Park, if you didn't count "one one thousand two" before shutting the truck down, then in the scenario of trucks effected by this recall, it is possible that your transmission delayed shifting into Park.

It may have taken a bit of time for gravity to overcome the internal resistance of the engaged gears, but once that resistance was overcome, the momentum built while you watched in horror.

Obviously, I have no way of determining what happened in your case from where I sit. However, this recall is what immediately came to mind from reading what you described, which is why I asked when your truck is built. If I were you, I would certainly look into it, as you may have a legitimate claim to the manufacturer for the resolution of this defect, if applicable, as well as for the consequential repair or replacement costs stemming from this defect.

The fix is simply a software calibration, nothing mechanical. I suppose the transmission is shift by "wire"? In any event, you are lucky that no one was hurt. An actor was recently killed when his Jeep rolled back and crushed him. If more Ford trucks have the potential for this problem, then what happened to you might be a catalyst to either ensure that all the trucks identified as part of the recall are actually fixed, and, expand the recall to encompass similarly built trucks if what happened in your case was the first actualization of a lurking potential problem.

Here's the details:

Ford Recall Number 14C04

NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: 14V204000

Summary:

"Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2015 F-250, F-350, F-450, and F-550 Super Duty trucks manufactured September 13, 2013, through March 28, 2014, and equipped with 6.2L gasoline or 6.7L diesel engines and 6R140 transmissions. An error with the transmission control software may be such that while shifting from "Park" to "Drive" the vehicle may display "Drive" but possibly engage "Reverse" for 1.5 seconds before engaging "Drive." Therefore, the vehicles do not conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 102, "Transmission Shift Lever Sequence, Starter Interlock, and Transmission Braking Effect.""

"Ford is recalling 3,973 2015 Ford F-250, F-350, F-450 and F-550 Super Duty trucks to fix a transmission calibration problem, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The affected trucks are equipped with the 6.2-liter gasoline or 6.7-liter diesel engines and 6R140 transmissions.
"An error with the transmission control software may be such that while shifting from 'Park' to 'Drive' the vehicle may display 'Drive' but possibly engage 'Reverse' for 1.5 seconds before engaging 'Drive,'" said NHTSA in its summary of the problem. "If the vehicle is in 'Reverse' while the gear selection shows 'Drive,' unexpected movement could occur, increasing the risk of a crash."
The affected trucks were built from September 13, 2013 through March 28, 2014.
Ford told federal safety regulators that it is not aware of any field reports related to this condition. The problem was discovered internally. As of April 4, 2014, there were no known reports of accidents or injuries attributed to this condition."

"Vehicles Affected: Approximately 4,000 2015 Ford F-250, F-350, F-450 and F-550 Super Duty pickup trucks built between Sept. 13, 2013, and March 31, 2014, at the Kentucky Truck Plant. All Super Dutys with the six-speed transmission are at risk (includes both engine options: the 6.2-liter gas V-8 and 6.7-liter Power Stroke turbo-diesel V-8)."

"The Problem: A software error could cause the transmission to have a significant delay with the proper indicator light when shifting from Reverse to Drive."

"What Owners Should Do: For more information, owners can call Ford at 866-436-7332, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s vehicle safety hotline at 888-327-4236 or visit Ford's recall page.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:06 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Sorry to ask again, but what specific date, including year?

You don't need to answer for me... but you might want to look into this for your own benefit, for two reasons:

1. You estimated your build date as between Oct-Nov, which is interesting... because Ford had a recall on the transmission shift indication between Park and Drive on 3,973 model year 2015 trucks reportedly built between September 2013 and March 2014. I'm not sure that I understand these dates correctly, as I thought Job 1 for 2015 started after March of 2014, but every reference indicates that the affected Model Year is reported to be 2015.

2. You said you didn't "feel" the engagement into Park, even though you went through the motions of putting the shift lever into Park, and presumably the shift indicator also confirmed that you put the shifter into park. And this is EXACLTY the problem. Ford reportedly discovered, internally, that there could be up to a 1.5 second delay between the transmission indicator stating it is in position X, before the transmission itself actually engages into X.

So, if you pulled in at home, threw the shifter in Park, and shut the truck off right away because say, you had to use the bathroom in a hurry, or whatever... the vehicle could have lost power to shift before the actual shifter engaged. Even though the indicator instantly reported that you had placed the lever in Park, if you didn't count "one one thousand two" before shutting the truck down, then in the scenario of trucks effected by this recall, it is possible that your transmission delayed shifting into Park.

It may have taken a bit of time for gravity to overcome the internal resistance of the engaged gears, but once that resistance was overcome, the momentum built while you watched in horror.

Obviously, I have no way of determining what happened in your case from where I sit. However, this recall is what immediately came to mind from reading what you described, which is why I asked when your truck is built. If I were you, I would certainly look into it, as you may have a legitimate claim to the manufacturer for the resolution of this defect, if applicable, as well as for the consequential repair or replacement costs stemming from this defect.

The fix is simply a software calibration, nothing mechanical. I suppose the transmission is shift by "wire"? In any event, you are lucky that no one was hurt. An actor was recently killed when his Jeep rolled back and crushed him. If more Ford trucks have the potential for this problem, then what happened to you might be a catalyst to either ensure that all the trucks identified as part of the recall are actually fixed, and, expand the recall to encompass similarly built trucks if what happened in your case was the first actualization of a lurking potential problem.

Here's the details:

Ford Recall Number 14C04

NHTSA Recall Campaign Number: 14V204000

Summary:

"Ford Motor Company (Ford) is recalling certain model year 2015 F-250, F-350, F-450, and F-550 Super Duty trucks manufactured September 13, 2013, through March 28, 2014, and equipped with 6.2L gasoline or 6.7L diesel engines and 6R140 transmissions. An error with the transmission control software may be such that while shifting from "Park" to "Drive" the vehicle may display "Drive" but possibly engage "Reverse" for 1.5 seconds before engaging "Drive." Therefore, the vehicles do not conform to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) number 102, "Transmission Shift Lever Sequence, Starter Interlock, and Transmission Braking Effect.""

"Ford is recalling 3,973 2015 Ford F-250, F-350, F-450 and F-550 Super Duty trucks to fix a transmission calibration problem, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
The affected trucks are equipped with the 6.2-liter gasoline or 6.7-liter diesel engines and 6R140 transmissions.
"An error with the transmission control software may be such that while shifting from 'Park' to 'Drive' the vehicle may display 'Drive' but possibly engage 'Reverse' for 1.5 seconds before engaging 'Drive,'" said NHTSA in its summary of the problem. "If the vehicle is in 'Reverse' while the gear selection shows 'Drive,' unexpected movement could occur, increasing the risk of a crash."
The affected trucks were built from September 13, 2013 through March 28, 2014.
Ford told federal safety regulators that it is not aware of any field reports related to this condition. The problem was discovered internally. As of April 4, 2014, there were no known reports of accidents or injuries attributed to this condition."

"Vehicles Affected: Approximately 4,000 2015 Ford F-250, F-350, F-450 and F-550 Super Duty pickup trucks built between Sept. 13, 2013, and March 31, 2014, at the Kentucky Truck Plant. All Super Dutys with the six-speed transmission are at risk (includes both engine options: the 6.2-liter gas V-8 and 6.7-liter Power Stroke turbo-diesel V-8)."

"The Problem: A software error could cause the transmission to have a significant delay with the proper indicator light when shifting from Reverse to Drive."

"What Owners Should Do: For more information, owners can call Ford at 866-436-7332, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s vehicle safety hotline at 888-327-4236 or visit Ford's recall page.
WOW, but like you I don't understand the 2015 trucks built in 2013???..

I took delivery 24 Dec 2014 and I am sure it was built around the later half of Oct '14 as I was following the status , but that has been a while....

I will look into this.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:12 PM
Y2KW57
Don't just look into it with Ford. Report exactly what happened to NHTSA, and reference NHTSA's previous recall in your correspondence. It often happens that a recall starts with a very narrow group of effected vehicles, but later expands to encompass a larger pool of similarly effected vehicles once more information and operational experience is gathered. Oftentimes, this experience is only noticed when looked for, and there first must be an awareness of the potential for the problem in order to look out for it.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:11 AM
2horses
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may not be the most convenient location, but the diesel tech at Griffith Ford in San Marcos did an amazing job of putting a new engine in my 2011 after the original one grenaded. So I highly recommend their service department (I realize it's not the body shop, but....). Plus, we haven't had the hail damage up here that SA did, so they might not be as busy.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:33 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
mechanical failure...covered by a powertrain warranty?

Old 07-21-2016, 09:35 AM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,969 Likes on 2,190 Posts
Wow...considering you had the keys, that truck should have been in Park to get them out of the ignition. THAT TRUCK SHOULD NOT HAVE MOVED. That stinks...I hope you find a shop soon and Ford figures out what happened to your truck to cause that to begin with!

Old 07-21-2016, 11:38 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the support. Just got off the fone with Ins company and what we are going to TRY and do if get the truck driveable and then when all the local shops get past the hail damage we put it in the shop to be fixed.

All this assumes there is not frame damage in the front.

I did get under it finally to give a look see and noted that the tie rod is BENT back on the drivers side, this could account for the shifting of the axle maybe???? I looked at the rather large control arm and it did not appear to be bent, but may have further back (truck was not on a rack).

Will get some pics and post...

Old 07-21-2016, 12:34 PM
92F350CC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Somebody's struttin around topless when they're taking pictures of a shiny object, lol.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:56 PM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 92F350CC
Somebody's struttin around topless when they're taking pictures of a shiny object, lol.
LOL, HOT day...

Old 07-22-2016, 06:34 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Don, Corpus has an Enterprise truck rental that has F250/350s available

http://www.enterprisetrucks.com/cont...sevehicle.html

Old 07-22-2016, 06:39 PM
BIGTRUCKBIGRV
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 92F350CC
Someone looking really closely huh

Quick Reply: Help in S Texas