1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Check Engine Light- constant on

Old 08-22-2016, 05:41 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
I was referring to the bridge on the GPR.

Before Ford started using the GPCM, the Cali emissions prepped E99 trucks (E = "Early") came with GPR's that had a bridge on them, like was referred to earlier in this thread.

Pete (we have several Pete's, the one I'm referring to goes by @duck fan here) was telling me about an E99 truck he was working on that belongs to Andy (aka Fat Diesel) and he had a similar problem, if not the same problem (foggy memory, sorry) and it came down to the bridge on the GPR not being there for Andy's California truck.

Do like Pik stated and replace the bridge that he identified as missing when referencing one of the pictures you posted.

Stewart

PS - Whether your Ex came off the line that way, or someone changed it, there is a way to fix it. I'm thinking based on the info you've posted, treat your rig like an E99 F250 with a California emissions prep, and get it back to that standard to see if it fixes the DTC.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:23 PM
Gidg
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by bridge? Is that something to do with something in one of the pics I posted?

Old 08-22-2016, 08:00 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Gidg
Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by bridge? Is that something to do with something in one of the pics I posted?
That's what Pete called it. I just went back to the post by Pik and he actually called it a shunt. Might be two different things.

I tagged Pete, so hopefully he'll drop in and post.

Stewart

Old 08-23-2016, 01:08 PM
Gidg
Mountain Pass
Ok thanks I'll wait for that.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:42 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
I guess it's possible too, and I gotta wonder if for the first units off the line, Ford made Excursions with an E99 GPR California emissions F-series setup because the GPCM's weren't available immediately.

With a build date of October 1999, you have the earliest Excursion I've ever seen on the forum.

I still think someone changed out your engine, harness, and PCM tho.

Can you get a Carfax on it and see the cause for the salvage title is listed? I'm curious if there was fire or flood damage that necessitated their replacement.

Stewart

Old 08-23-2016, 02:15 PM
Gidg
Mountain Pass
I'm pretty sure the guy that salvaged it and rebuilt it said it rolled on it's side.

Old 08-24-2016, 06:10 PM
Gidg
Mountain Pass
I ran a carfax and it doesn't show any details about what may have happened. It shows no structural damage nor airbag deployment. I remember the guy I bought it from, who was the one who restored it, said it rolled onto the driver's side. I have found residual glass over the years but I don't believe the engine was replaced.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:35 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 781 Likes on 571 Posts
Looking at this pic, I'm thinking the GPR is OE Ford, untouched since install in Kentucky. Nothing about that harness says a GPCM used to live there.

I'd start with ohming out the driver side glow plugs by the method Pikachu suggested. The pins on the UVCH are small so it can be a pain to get the probe on there. To make it easy you could get a pigtail like THIS and read off the exposed wires.

That's probably it, but if they check out next I'd want to see the PCM code to see if that was swapped.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:49 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Nothing about that harness says a GPCM used to live there.
The harness wouldn't.

If someone decided to remove the GPCM and replace it with a GPR, or if someone transplanted a replacement 7.3 into the Ex and the replacement engine had a GPR, then the engine harness would have to be changed to accommodate the GPR because IIRC, Joe (who has done this mod) said the harness couldn't be modified to accept the GPR.

Honestly tho I still can't help but wonder if the first few Excursions off the line didn't somehow have the California style GPR because the module wasn't quite yet ready.

Stewart

Old 08-27-2016, 05:46 PM
Gidg
Mountain Pass
OK, hubby tested the driver side glow plug resistance and all of them but one read 1.2ohms. The front most one (closest to the bumper) was 3.8 so it appears we have our culprit.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:00 PM
Gidg
Mountain Pass
Hi guys. I know it's been awhile. I had that one glow plug changed a few weeks ago and the code was cleared. The problem is the SES light came right back on and now I have three fault codes:
P1391 Glow plug circuit low input, bank #1 (right) Open/short/miswired circuit, faulty relay, glow plugs.
P1395 Glow plug monitor fault, bank #1 One or more glow plugs failed or circuit fault.
P1396 Glow plug monitor fault, bank #2 One or more glow plugs failed or circuit fault.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm still trying to get this darned thing smogged in So Cal so I can get it registered/insured here.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:27 PM
carbon coupe
Fleet Mechanic
Received 199 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by Gidg
Hi guys. I know it's been awhile. I had that one glow plug changed a few weeks ago and the code was cleared. The problem is the SES light came right back on and now I have three fault codes:
P1391 Glow plug circuit low input, bank #1 (right) Open/short/miswired circuit, faulty relay, glow plugs.
P1395 Glow plug monitor fault, bank #1 One or more glow plugs failed or circuit fault.
P1396 Glow plug monitor fault, bank #2 One or more glow plugs failed or circuit fault.

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm still trying to get this darned thing smogged in So Cal so I can get it registered/insured here.
Sounds like the gasket may have an issue.

Old 09-24-2016, 04:51 PM
Gidg
Mountain Pass
CC, do you mean the valve cover gasket? If so which one? The only one they opened to change the GP was the driver side bank.

Old 09-27-2016, 06:33 PM
Gidg
Mountain Pass
carbon coupe? Do you mean the valve cover gasket? If so which one? The only one they opened to change the GP was the driver side bank.

Old 09-28-2016, 01:02 AM
retiredsparky
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The more likely culprit is the "42 pin" connector. The reason for this conclusion is that both sides of the engine are now showing a trouble. The cable that connects to this has to be removed to remove the valve cover. I suggest disconnecting the cable again and inspecting both sides of the connector for corrosion, clean with alcohol (you may also drink some while doing this). When tightening the bolt that holds the connector in place, apply a small amount of engine or other oil to the bolt thread to ensure complete installation.

I have had this same problem on several trucks over the years.

It is possible that the connections at the valve cover gasket (which has wires incorporated in it) that could also have a similar problem, but check that 42 pin first.

Good luck, Larry

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check Engine Light- constant on