2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

9th injector?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 03:45 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
9th injector?

So we know that Ford added a new HPFP and bigger injectors but what about a 9th injector in the exhaust? The current set up of using the 8th injector is an issue for some including having to have the valves replaced.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:01 PM
troverman
Hotshot
Received 534 Likes on 258 Posts
Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
So we know that Ford added a new HPFP and bigger injectors but what about a 9th injector in the exhaust? The current set up of using the 8th injector is an issue for some including having to have the valves replaced.
How do we know there is a new HPFP and bigger injectors?

The current setup uses more than just the 8th injector.

I'd be willing to bet there is no 9th injector.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:00 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
troverman - I don't think there will be either. And it isn't like the 9th injector route has not had issues either.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:42 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by troverman
How do we know there is a new HPFP and bigger injectors?

The current setup uses more than just the 8th injector.

I'd be willing to bet there is no 9th injector.
I was under the impression that it just used the number 8 injector. Was that the old 7.3?
I see that the 6.7 uses one bank of injectors but now the latest reflash uses both banks.

The new HPFP and injectors comes from the Built Ford Tough Participant guide that I obtained.

See this post: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ant-guide.html

Old 07-20-2016, 09:14 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Received 432 Likes on 138 Posts
I was under the impression that it just used the number 8 injector. Was that the old 7.3?
I see that the 6.7 uses one bank of injectors but now the latest reflash uses both banks.

The new HPFP and injectors comes from the Built Ford Tough Participant guide that I obtained.

See this post: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...ant-guide.html
The old 7.3 never had the need since it didn't have a DPF.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:22 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fordmantpw
The old 7.3 never had the need since it didn't have a DPF.
Dang, that's right. The good old days.
Now even my newest 66 hp "Little Deere" John Deere has one as does my 2105 hp Deere. Heck pretty soon even the smallest 23 hp diesels will have them I guess

Old 07-20-2016, 09:34 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Dang, that's right. The good old days.
Now even my newest 66 hp "Little Deere" John Deere has one as does my 2105 hp Deere. Heck pretty soon even the smallest 23 hp diesels will have them I guess
I've got a JD 2720 that I bought pre-emissions. The replacement 2032R does not have it but my guess is it is coming.

I looked at a small cab Kubota earlier this year and the 3350 has a DPF. They've apparently had a lot of issues with it.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:40 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
I've got a JD 2720 that I bought pre-emissions. The replacement 2032R does not have it but my guess is it is coming.

I looked at a small cab Kubota earlier this year and the 3350 has a DPF. They've apparently had a lot of issues with it.
I meant to say 6105R 105 hp above. I had a '13 326 skid steer that did not have DPF but traded it for a '15 compact track loader which does.

At least the Deere's let me do a manual regen if necessary. On my previous diesel I had to get a SCT device to give me that option and will probably do the same on the new one. Not sure why Ford can't give all of us that option, not just the work trucks.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:18 PM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
I meant to say 6105R 105 hp above. I had a '13 326 skid steer that did not have DPF but traded it for a '15 compact track loader which does.

At least the Deere's let me do a manual regen if necessary. On my previous diesel I had to get a SCT device to give me that option and will probably do the same on the new one. Not sure why Ford can't give all of us that option, not just the work trucks.
I don't understand that either...why don't upper-level trucks have the option to do a manual regen? I mean, they have it on the lower models, and it's not costing more to add it, so why not? There are many times I'd like to do a manual regen in mine due to the type of trips I'm planning to make, and how my truck will be used over the next several days.

I'm just hoping my new truck (whenever I do get one) won't need to regen quite as much as my '08 does.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:53 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
On my previous 6.7 I used the Edge Insight CTS. I could do a manual regen and monitor all of the PIDs. Since its not a tuner it wouldn't void my warranty. I actually measured fuel used on a manual regen of .9 gallons. The truck roared like a freight train with the fans at high speed. It took about 45 minutes and when it was done soot was not at 0 grams but close. I still have this device and hope they will update it for use on my '17.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:59 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
On my previous 6.7 I used the Edge Insight CTS. I could do a manual regen and monitor all of the PIDs. Since its not a tuner it wouldn't void my warranty. I actually measured fuel used on a manual regen of .9 gallons. The truck roared like a freight train with the fans at high speed. It took about 45 minutes and when it was done soot was not at 0 grams but close. I still have this device and hope they will update it for use on my '17.
I'm assuming the truck was parked during this? I could definitely see the need to do manual regens for a farmer, whose truck may not see 35 MPH for long periods of time.

Old 07-21-2016, 08:08 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Yes parked with the hood up. Me and the cows like Lariats and King Ranch's so I had to find a way to do a manual regen

Old 07-21-2016, 08:14 AM
fordmantpw
Cargo Master
Yes parked with the hood up. Me and the cows like Lariats and King Ranch's so I had to find a way to do a manual regen
Do the cows like to stay close to their ancestors...at least their hides?

Old 07-21-2016, 08:30 AM
Rasalas
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Do the cows like to stay close to their ancestors...at least their hides?
A friend in the diesel business calls the DEF "Cow Pee" because of the urea and is term I have stolen. Just hope the cows don't get "wind" of it and attack your truck.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:36 AM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Rasalas
A friend in the diesel business calls the DEF "Cow Pee" because of the urea and is term I have stolen. Just hope the cows don't get "wind" of it and attack your truck.
Cows prefer the KR leather because the thin wrinkly Lariat leather gives them a bad name.

Yep, cow pee, or human pee or urea fertilizer mixed in a precise combination with water would probably work. Get that percentage off and the trucks will misbehave. My nephew is a Peterbilt mechanic and he gets trucks all of the time that got bad DEF at the truck stops. He has to pull and drain the tank and charges them $$.

Quick Reply: 9th injector?