Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford-trucks forum culture

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 01:20 PM
DrZoom
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford-trucks forum culture

Just wanted to remind everybody that this forum exists to help each other, and bring ford truck owners together - not tear each other down in an attempt to make ourselves feel better. I've noticed a lot of threads lately that go along the lines of:

"I want to find some E-rated tires"
"Get your head out of your *** and buy an f-350, jackass!"

"I am trying to help a farmer friend sell his truck"
"Tell your farmer truck friend to get his head out of his ***, jackass!"

"I want to swap out one drivetrain for another in my donor truck"
"Let me tell you why it is impossible for your donor truck to have that combination from the factory, based on my erudite knowledge of ford part numbers and not actually answer your question. Then let me recommend you pull your head out of your ***, jackass!"

There are a ton of people on here who have been very helpful, who are a wealth of knowledge and are generally very friendly. Let's try to keep it friendly, keep it civil, and most of all have some fun!

Old 07-20-2016, 01:26 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Amen!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 07-20-2016, 01:38 PM
White 97 xlt
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What Jackass though this up????

Just kidding, I agree 110% with what you are saying....

Old 07-20-2016, 02:16 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
For habitual offenders like that there is always the Ignore button. It works like a charm.

Old 07-20-2016, 02:24 PM
The_Drew
Senior User
I like the ones that insistently say one thing is better than another when a) no one cares b) they have no facts.

I love this site and there is so much good info!

Old 07-20-2016, 02:27 PM
Big_Al59
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
This site is really mellow compared to a lot of them.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:06 PM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Big_Al59
This site is really mellow compared to a lot of them.
This. I ain't been on here in several weeks so unless something's changed between then and now, I have to agree with this statement.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:38 PM
Encho
The Southernmost Mod
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Since no one have been reporting anything I haven't seen any of this. I know it happens on occasion, but please report it so me or any of the guys at the mod team can take care of any improper behavior.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:25 AM
DrZoom
Elder User
I'm not saying people are out of line and need to be reported or anything. 90% of the folks here are super nice, super helpful, and entertaining to boot. There have just been a few times when I cringed reading posts by people who are new to the site and have no clue what they're doing, and got an earful from some know-it-all who thinks it's necessary to set everybody straight. We were all newbies at one point.

Again, just a general comment, not calling anybody specific out or anything.

Stay classy folks!

Old 07-21-2016, 07:37 AM
Scndsin
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 760 Likes on 542 Posts
I try to be civil. I pretty much get along with anyone that wants to get along. But there are some folk I just **** off by breathing & nothing I do is going to be right, so they can go pound sand. Life is too short.

There are some threads I won't touch with the proverbial 10 ft pole cause' there's just no way the box of rocks mentality displayed is going to end well & someone else might have a better route to assistance of the individual.

I try sometimes to inject levity without being harmful or mean although it might be interpreted as such & if so I'm sorry to the individual offended.

I'm human & recognize that about myself as well as others & try and put myself in some one else's shoes in almost all situations.

I came to FTE for the Ford Tech & stayed and participate for the fellowship.

But that's just me.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:39 AM
xTHANATOPSISx
Junior User
I would suggest that those offended by other's comments to a third party should NOT report posts provided they are not blatantly abusive, vulgar, or otherwise in violation of the forums guidelines.

Taking up offence for others is typically frowned upon in life. Just because you find an answer to be gruff or abrasive doesn't mean the OP won't find it to be the desired information provided in a blunt fashion.

I haven't seen any of the threads you must be describing but I have no doubt they can happen. That said, when someone wants to hear what they want to hear, you regularly find everyone resorting to the most blunt and simplistic "It won't work, stupid," kind of answers. That's what needs to be said. Just because it seems a little rude doesn't mean it's not done in a specific attempt to save someone's money, time, or life from being wasted.

Also, understand that there are going to be generational differences in how people discuss things, and sometimes what is perfectly acceptable to one group seems to be unacceptable to another. Both groups should probably meet in the middle.

And let's be honest here, if you need E range tires, tires capable of carrying 3500lbs each, you had damn well better have a truck that can carry the load. Drastically overloading a vehicle is a saftey issue and I don't really care if someone call others out on it. Context can change the situation after the fact, but if someone asks for E range tires for their 1/2 ton truck, everyone's first question should be "Why?"

Old 07-21-2016, 09:19 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Scndsin
...I came to FTE for the Ford Tech & stayed and participate for the fellowship.
X2 There are some abrasive people on here, but so far the tech has been solid. Plus the local chapter offer's monthly BBQ dinners.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:50 AM
DrZoom
Elder User
All fair and valid points. I agree, there is no justification to report somebody who is gruff with some other user - I have never reported anybody for anything. This is a great community, just wanted to share my two cents and try to keep folks coming back.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:59 AM
DrZoom
Elder User
Originally Posted by xTHANATOPSISx

I haven't seen any of the threads you must be describing but I have no doubt they can happen. That said, when someone wants to hear what they want to hear, you regularly find everyone resorting to the most blunt and simplistic "It won't work, stupid," kind of answers. That's what needs to be said. Just because it seems a little rude doesn't mean it's not done in a specific attempt to save someone's money, time, or life from being wasted.?"

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lumbus-oh.html

One example.....

Old 07-21-2016, 10:35 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 317 Likes on 287 Posts
IMO, no one needs to be talked down to, for any reason, Some of you are calling it being treated or talked to gruff, I call it ill mannered and ignorant. Do you talk to your mothers, wives, or children in this manner if they do not comprehend what you're trying to tell them, I wouldn't think so, I would think, that you would sit back in your chair and try to think of a way to Re-explain your answer to these people in a simpler layman form that they may very well be able to understand. Remember, most of the people on this forum are looking for answers to their problems, not to be insulted because they don't understand what you're telling them. I bet 50% of the people here don't have much more than a few hand tools and don't even own a decent DVM. I've been talked to rudely a few times on this site, I chalk it up to, maybe the poster is having a bad day and let it roll on by, but as my mom always told me, "if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all."

Quick Reply: Ford-trucks forum culture