6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Lower fuel filter housing

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 08:34 PM
garmford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower fuel filter housing

I really got myself in a bind this time. Just turned 30000 on my 2012 f350 drw that I've owned since new and decided tonight was the night to change the oil and fuel filters. I put

my 32 mm socket on the lower fuel filter housing. I applied pressure and snap bam boom, the housing broke of with the socket. I tried using various tools along with a cheap strap wrench and cannot get that thing to budge. I have a friend stopping by tomorrow with his strap wrenches to give it a shot.
Does anybody have any other suggestions?
I'm glad this isn't my daily driver which could be why that housing is seized in its location. Filter changes are spread much further apart. Good thing I still have my trusty 6.0 to get me to work tomorrow! Lol
Thanks for the help!!

Old 07-19-2016, 08:50 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts
A decent strap wrench is all I use, but even then it can be stubborn. Many guys (myself included) keep an extra lower bowl for just that sort of emergency. Many carry them in the truck in case of roadside repairs, but mine stays in the garage on the shelf. When installing the new stuff, be sure to lube the new O-Ring with oil and roll it into its slot before putting on the new housing, and then snug the housing up ONLY until it hits the stop, but make sure it actually hits the stop.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:08 PM
garmford
Senior User
Getting another housing is my next obstacle. I went to the dealer right away and the closest one he could find was roughly 5 hrs away. So their going to emergency order one straight from Detroit tomorrow and I should get it Thursday. Of course we're going camping Friday so I hope it shows up.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:12 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Yes, best to order one BEFORE you need it. Enjoy camping!

Old 07-19-2016, 09:25 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
I carry a complete lower housing assembly with me. It includes a new filter, o-ring, water sensor and drain plug in a plastic zip-lock baggie.

BTW, 1 1/4" socket works also.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:13 PM
Michael53
Senior User
Where in Wisconsin are you?

Originally Posted by garmford
Getting another housing is my next obstacle. I went to the dealer right away and the closest one he could find was roughly 5 hrs away. So their going to emergency order one straight from Detroit tomorrow and I should get it Thursday. Of course we're going camping Friday so I hope it shows up.
Garmford, where are you located in WI? I'm in Wisconsin and have and star lower fuel filter housing. I'm in Fox Lake, near Beaver Dam. Feel free to PM me if you are close.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:50 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I hate seeing these things happen - I need to do mine soon too.

Might call and make sure there is a lower fuel filter housing available at my local dealer before I attempt it...

Old 07-20-2016, 02:41 AM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Dak, I know shipping is different for you for ordering, but here's where I got my spare - along with my first set of replacement filters.
https://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/...t_fd_4615.html

Old 07-20-2016, 03:20 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 81 Likes on 16 Posts
When I change mine, I use a socket and a strap to break it loose. I use them together. That way more force it applied, but not all to the built in nut on the housing. I know, a little late in warning you, but like Doug and others have said, I keep a full replacement with me at all times.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:22 AM
HouseMouse
Elder User
Wow! Being that I'm returning to Ford after many years away... The Cummins fuel cap is prone to breaking also. A metal one is available in the aftermarket world. Back to what is going on here.... Doing a little research to keep up... Yes, I agree to keep spare backup lower housing with filter at a minimum. Just to be clear, I never had a problem with my Cummins filter. Just kept the O-Ring lubed and cap just snug to housing. Learning about Ford is quite and experience here.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:52 AM
garmford
Senior User
Originally Posted by Michael53
Garmford, where are you located in WI? I'm in Wisconsin and have and star lower fuel filter housing. I'm in Fox Lake, near Beaver Dam. Feel free to PM me if you are close.
We live in Rubicon near Hartford. We're almost neighbors! I'll be driving thru Fox Lake Friday if I get the housing on time. We're camping just south of Montello this weekend. I appreciate the offer Michael!

I am surely going to lube the new housing extra good before re-installing it! After this I'm not sure if I'd attemp a roadside filter change. It breaking in my garage at home isn't the worst thing in the world, 100+ miles from home, that would suck!

Old 07-20-2016, 08:42 AM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I hate to say it but this kind of a right of passage if you are a 6.7l owner. I becoming more and more convinced it's not a if question, but a when question.

Mine was such a mangled mess as I was in a hurry and didn't let mine warm up during one winter day that I broke the cap as well as the dfcm housing.

Fortunately I was able to replace the dfcm and cap on my own with only being down one week.

Lesson learned now I carry a extra fuel filter cap and fuel filter. I also change my filters before winter now as well.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Each brand has their short comings and tricky issues. And there is always a learning curve. Sometimes you can learn ahead of time by reading forums and sometimes it's by doing it...

Overall, the scorpion 6.7 is a great motor and with all the computers and exhaust processing/treatment plant going on, it's a decent reliable motor. Hoping that Ford updated and tweaked some of the issues with the 2017.

You are giving me an idea with the metal fuel filter assembly... wondering if someone makes a stronger one out of metal than the plastic one.

Thanks for the link Doug, it is trickier getting things up here in AK. Either they don't ship or the shipping is cost prohibitive. I usually try and get stuff like that when I go to the L48 -- or in this case I may have it shipped to a family member that is coming up to visit...

Old 07-20-2016, 06:16 PM
garmford
Senior User
With help from a friend and two separate tools in the remainder of the fuel bowl, we were able to get it off. Whew!!
Then by chance I got a call from the dealer that the new one arrived a day sooner that expected. I went to pick it up only to find out that he ordered the bracket not the bowl. Turns out he had one on the shelf. I guess it helps to know what you're looking for!! Lol
Now I'm off to reinstall the new one. I'll be sure to add some extra lube.
Thanks for all of the good replies!!

Matt

Old 07-20-2016, 06:19 PM
EO2SeaBee
Hotshot
Make sure to tighten until it hits the stops! Otherwise, you will suck air and get a low pressure warning. Be sure to purge until you hear no more gurgling in the fuel system return lines. It MAY take more than the 6-8 times considered normal.

Quick Reply: Lower fuel filter housing