ST tires upgraded to LTs, your experiences and comments please.

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 02:26 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
I am glad we was all able to,help.

Old 07-23-2016, 10:38 AM
Magnolia Tom
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Everything I've read about them has been good, unfortunately my 6 lug hubs are limiting me to 80PSI tires for this upgrade.
Tom

Check the inflation charts for the g614 or Sailun s637. I think that even if you only inflate to 80 psi, you will be around the same load capacity as your LR E tires. I think g614 at 80 lbs has a 3050 lb load capacity. I think that's about the same as load range E at max inflation.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:44 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 822 Likes on 568 Posts
Originally Posted by Magnolia Tom
Tom

Check the inflation charts for the g614 or Sailun s637. I think that even if you only inflate to 80 psi, you will be around the same load capacity as your LR E tires. I think g614 at 80 lbs has a 3050 lb load capacity. I think that's about the same as load range E at max inflation.

Thanks Tom, that's more of the great info I was looking for that I had not thought of myself! I will look at the charts, so much to consider.....good thing I'm not under the gun on this project and have plenty of time to figure it out.

Old 07-23-2016, 12:48 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WE3ZS.....just a thought, I bought my Sailuns from a long time vendor on ebay that goes by "rustybore". I spoke with him on the phone twice before making my purchace, seems like a straight up, no BS, very knowledgeable guy.

His shop is in Perkionville, PA, I don't know how far that is from you but he has a chitload of different tires and I think would be a good guy to talk with regarding your application. His number is (800) 427-5558. Like I said, just a thought, couldn't hurt to run it by him.

Old 07-24-2016, 05:09 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
.....good thing I'm not under the gun on this project and have plenty of time to figure it out.
That's always a good thing.

Name:  thumbs-up-smiley-face_zpsig9vgqml.jpg
Views: 187
Size:  40.4 KB

Stewart

Old 07-25-2016, 08:30 AM
89LX306
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you see/feel similar positive ride mileage results as others have reported with the switch to LTs?
The Michelin XPS Ribs and LTX M/S2s are both on my list, I really like the ribs.
I have Michelin XPS Ribs on my 5th wheel and just drove it 23 hours over the last 2 days from Colorado to Houston (44 hours round trip). I couldn't be happier with them.

I hadn't thought about the mileage on them, but....I was routinely putting 4-5 less gallons of fuel in my truck than my buddy at fuel stops. We have trucks that are almost identical (6.7 F350 crew cab long bed...I have 37x13.5 tires and he has 35x12.50 tires...both Toyo RT). 5th wheel trailers are very similar in height, length and weight. He has 15" ST tires and I have the Michelin XPS Ribs. It could have been anything, but we were scratching our heads every time we filled up as to why I was getting nearly 13% better fuel mileage. Like I said...I could be anything, but our setups are very similar.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:43 AM
ExxWhy
Logistics Pro
Received 2,098 Likes on 560 Posts
How about switching to 8 lug hubs? Not sure what size the brakes are on the trailer currently.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hub...9-4UC3-EZ.html

Old 07-25-2016, 01:38 PM
Stewart_H
Super Moderator
Received 86 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by 89LX306
...but we were scratching our heads every time we filled up as to why I was getting nearly 13% better fuel mileage.
Too bad you guys didn't switch trailers to see if the mileage followed the trailers.

Stewart

Old 07-25-2016, 05:05 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Maybe I've just been lucky but I'm now on my second set of Carlisle ST's with no problems at all. I just replaced my spare today. Never touched the ground but after ten years the bead line started showing cracks. The main tires I changed at seven years just for safety.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:15 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by 69cj
Maybe I've just been lucky but I'm now on my second set of Carlisle ST's with no problems at all. I just replaced my spare today. Never touched the ground but after ten years the bead line started showing cracks. The main tires I changed at seven years just for safety.

It may be possible that those 7 year old tires (how long ago did they turn 7, three years ago?) were some of the last generation of American made ST tires. The quality back then sure seems to have been superior to the current crop of Chinese junk we have now.
I am guilty of exceeding the 65 MPH speed rating of my ST tires occasionally, with some runs up to 72/73 at the base of highway grades to allow for better climbs as it bleeds some of that speed off. So I am accepting at least some of the blame for my situation, I'm also trying to resolve that problem with higher speed rated LTs (or possibly heavier STs). I do tend to keep it around 65-ish when cruising, I just run it up some to handle the hills better. We also frequently travel up to 650+/- miles in day, do tires used on shorter hauls all the time hold up any better or longer?

Old 07-25-2016, 07:25 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Originally Posted by ExxWhy
How about switching to 8 lug hubs? Not sure what size the brakes are on the trailer currently.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hub...9-4UC3-EZ.html

Eric, you Sir are evil........
I checked, and those will slide right onto my spindles, I just have to verify which of the two different sized inner seals I need. That will add $400 to this project but it opens the door to the heavier G rated ST and truck tires.
You guys are loading me up with some very good ideas here, keep it coming I do appreciate it. It's making the decisions more complicated, but I do have time on my side for once!

Old 07-25-2016, 07:41 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It may be possible that those 7 year old tires (how long ago did they turn 7, three years ago?) were some of the last generation of American made ST tires. The quality back then sure seems to have been superior to the current crop of Chinese junk we have now.
I am guilty of exceeding the 65 MPH speed rating of my ST tires occasionally, with some runs up to 72/73 at the base of highway grades to allow for better climbs as it bleeds some of that speed off. So I am accepting at least some of the blame for my situation, I'm also trying to resolve that problem with higher speed rated LTs (or possibly heavier STs). I do tend to keep it around 65-ish when cruising, I just run it up some to handle the hills better. We also frequently travel up to 650+/- miles in day, do tires used on shorter hauls all the time hold up any better or longer?
Since I'm in Ca. I usually set the CC at 60 mph. I will occasionally hit 80 getting around a big rig on the 395. All I can say is the last set has been on 3 years and zero problems. I happen to know the Americas tire local manager and he claims they have not had any problems with them out of the ordinary.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:57 PM
Excurvelle
Cargo Master
Received 214 Likes on 144 Posts
Tom, I am following your threads closely but I am going to stay with a 15" tire, I am thinking the Maxxis M8008 Load E 225/75/15 but I am not opposed to LT tires if they will work properly. I am really learning a lot from these discussions. Time is on my side too, I have not had any problems with my current tires.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:33 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Today I did get my spare (never been on the ground) remounted to the aluminum wheel for the trailer and I had them mount a very low mile (but 5 year old) ST LRD I had in the shed onto the steel spare wheel. Hopefully this should get us through the rest of the season, as our long trips are done for the year. This spare should be good enough to get us to a tire shop if needed.
My plan is to digest all of the info offered here and make my choices and purchases to have the new tires/rims/(hubs maybe....) on and ready to roll for the Spring.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:47 PM
bigredtruckmi
Lead Driver
Received 218 Likes on 50 Posts
Just let us know what you decide with pics.

Quick Reply: ST tires upgraded to LTs, your experiences and comments please.