1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Any Creative Ideas for LEGALLY Disposing of Old Diesel Fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 05:56 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I have mis-timed this post.
The next time you change the fuel filter, remove the fuel bowl heater from the bottom of the fuel
bowl (and throw it away).
The heater and fuel pump are on the same fuse, so if the heater goes bad, the truck shuts down.
Sorry I did not remember this sooner.

Old 07-26-2016, 08:50 AM
Syncrowave
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Give it to someone who has a waste-oil furnace.

2. Give it to a farmer to mix with his week killer (some herbicides are mixed with kero or diesel fuel before being applied).

Old 07-26-2016, 09:05 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
i do not consider 6 year old fuel "old" i am running 20+ year old fuel in my trucks for the past 2 years, almost done with it. got 5,000 gallons for free.
i would just mix it with new fuel 50-50 and burn it.

Old 07-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i do not consider 6 year old fuel "old" i am running 20+ year old fuel in my trucks for the past 2 years, almost done with it. got 5,000 gallons for free.
i would just mix it with new fuel 50-50 and burn it.
I found out that the truck has been sitting closer to 8 years. After seeing this fuel and the condition of everything else I would have to agree with you. I think the fear of the unknown kinda takes over. The fear of doing damage to an engine one is not familiar with. This experience does make me wonder if anyone here has actually experienced Diesel gone bad, and what the heck would actually cause it?

Old 07-26-2016, 11:49 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,101 Likes on 2,163 Posts
in some of the warmer more humid states there is the opportunity for algae to grow in the fuel. i have seen it in north carolina in the summer. i don't know how long the fuel sat though.

the 20 +year old fuel i am using is finally starting to get a little dark in color. it may be dirt in the bottom of the tank getting stirred up, or it may just finally be getting old. either way i have not had any problems with it in either of my trucks.

Old 07-26-2016, 11:52 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by z31freakify
Holy crap 20 years, that's something to think about.
I run ATF but if you pull my bank transactions you can see all i ever get diesel from is shell or speed way...I keep all my fuel transactions just incase momma government wants to pull some stupid crap like this...

Old 07-26-2016, 05:00 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Thanks guys

Old 07-26-2016, 10:41 PM
oldboots1950
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Metal twister
Wow, I would never thought of tackling it that way... Im going to have to think that one over. Pull the bed to get to the fuel tank... sounds kinda weird. But it does make since. I hate to admit it but my head is spinning with working and the research on this truck. Is the Hutch thing just to get all the fuel out of the truck? I just havent had time to look over the link you sent me on that yet, Im wondering if I should just get the thing running first an then look into the Hutch thing? I was thinking about dropping the tank anyway and pressure
washing it out?
I pulled my bed, I found that much easier than trying to drain the tank, dropping the tank, and then trying to connect the dots getting it back under the truck.
Unplugged the wire Harnes, removed 8 bolts, removed hose clamps on fill tube and two of us set it back far enough to set partially on the rear tires and the back bumper.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:14 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by oldboots1950
I pulled my bed, I found that much easier than trying to drain the tank, dropping the tank, and then trying to connect the dots getting it back under the truck.
Unplugged the wire Harnes, removed 8 bolts, removed hose clamps on fill tube and two of us set it back far enough to set partially on the rear tires and the back bumper.
Exactly where is that wiring harness plug located? I like that idea.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:10 AM
JoeF250
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I've had the diesel go bad on me. It was with my 89 idi, burnt through 7 fuel filters on the darn thing on two tanks of fuel before I learned of the microbial growth. It was really expensive, for a 17 year old. Then a few years ago at a previous employer the microbe struck again in the bulk tank we filled all our diesel tractors and mowers out of. Difference there was with the higher, relative to an idi, pressure off the lift pumps in the equipment and the company always demanding the cheapest in filtration technology. The microbes made it past the filters. Replaced a couple (4) injection pumps, some injectors. It cost about$14,000. All becaus the company refused to buy a$25 bottle of biocide and pre filter the fuel after the first one went down.

The moral of the story is the microbe doesn't go bang, it should never make it through your filter. But if it does I'm not sure it will pass through the injectors. It didn't on the cummins 4bts and Japanese diesels in the equipment. at work. I personally run a maintenance dose of biocide in all of my own diesels.

FWIW, live, and have always lived in the great snowy white north tundra of Minnesota. It's not just heat and humidity that causes the problem, it's temperature swing causing condensation to form on the inside of your tank walls. That will give you enough moisture to cause problems. Then all you need is one contaminated tank of fuel. Best thing to do is kill it and filter it out. And if it's going to sit make sure the tank is full, full tanks have less area surface area for water to condense.

P's your fuel looks good. I would run it.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:27 AM
oldboots1950
Senior User
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
In my case there are two because of towing package.
They are located on drivers side rear just in front of the rear bumper.

Plugs for rear tail lights and towing package.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:41 AM
oldboots1950
Senior User
This would be a fun way

This would be a quick way to get rid of if. You just need a battleship.
It's not your imagination, yes that is two 16" projectiles headed for Nam fired at the same time..

Old 07-27-2016, 10:48 AM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
You can also just take out all except the back 2 bolts, which you just loosen, and jack the front of the bed in the air. Then no disconnecting or lifting required. I was by myself so this worked well. using 2 by's of different lengths on your floor jack and blocks to set on the frame as safety stops to keep the bed from falling it was doable alone.

Only problem will be if the clip nuts for the bed bolts spin or break. Heating them will usually break them free but if the one above the tank is a problem then your back to dropping the tank anyway. This is what happened to me. They all came out except the 2 front ones. I ended up dropping the tank then welding the nuts to the frame cause the clips broke.

Put anti seize on the bolts going back in so maybe next time won't be so bad.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:43 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
You can also just take out all except the back 2 bolts, which you just loosen, and jack the front of the bed in the air. Then no disconnecting or lifting required. I was by myself so this worked well. using 2 by's of different lengths on your floor jack and blocks to set on the frame as safety stops to keep the bed from falling it was doable alone.

Only problem will be if the clip nuts for the bed bolts spin or break. Heating them will usually break them free but if the one above the tank is a problem then your back to dropping the tank anyway. This is what happened to me. They all came out except the 2 front ones. I ended up dropping the tank then welding the nuts to the frame cause the clips broke.

Put anti seize on the bolts going back in so maybe next time won't be so bad.
Another interesting idea, but couldn't you have ground the heads off of the bolts that wouldn't let go?

Old 07-27-2016, 12:11 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Lots of ways to skin those cats guys. All great info and ideas. So I have the old Dodge 3500 diesel up for sale. I ended up taking all the fresh fuel out of the Dodge to replace the old fuel in the Ford leaving Dodge dry!!! I gotta fire it off to show folks that the dodge runs. So in goes the eight year old diesel into the Dodge... Fired right up, sounds great, and stinks just like it always has! I'm going to miss this old Pig!

Oh Wow, Just noticed Ive been here for 2 weeks and Im a "Senior User" already! Guess I had better slow down on this stuff.

Quick Reply: Any Creative Ideas for LEGALLY Disposing of Old Diesel Fuel...