1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Any Creative Ideas for LEGALLY Disposing of Old Diesel Fuel...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 03:50 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
It is the unknown that bothers me. I would drop the tank at least to inspect its insides to make sure that there are no surprises inside. That will give you the opportunity to clip the ends of the filler tube and breather tube and inspect the pickup screen. The plastic on the pickup has been known to crack. An air filter mask would be more than enough to filter that fuel. There are different types of Bio-fuel. One is sold at the pumps and wont jell or separate. But it isn't cheap. The discoloration of your fuel could be from an additive I guess. Go on "youtube" to research the engine and fuel tank modifications mentioned.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:23 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Don. Will Do!

Old 07-20-2016, 04:31 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe you are in a situation of needing peace of mind.
For your peace of mind, here is my suggestion.
Drain as much fuel out as you can, then fill the tank with fresh fuel.
Drive it as a DD for about a month, then begin pouring about a gallon of the old fuel back into the tank before each fill-up (this will keep it diluted).
Within 30 fill-ups, the old fuel will be gone (consumed).

However, if it were me, and I am a gutsy rascal (read my signature ).
I would install a new fuel filter now and drive it until the weather begins to cool, then change the fuel filter again and place the truck on scheduled maintenance going forward.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:00 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree with everyone saying to just burn it; whether a little at a time mixed with fresh, or by itself.

However, if you decide you'd rather dispose of it, then just mix it with whatever waste motor oil you have, and dispose of it as oil.

Old 07-20-2016, 11:51 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Algae does not grow in diesel fuel, algae needs light, water, and carbon dioxide to survive and reproduce...it is fungi and bacteria growing on the interface between water and diesel.
Well OK. You're right of course. It's "microbial growth" or some kinda critters, anyway. And it's bad! We don't want it.

Adding a biocide, can even make things worse. I didn't know that.

http://criticalfueltech.com/faq.html

Old 07-21-2016, 12:21 AM
268Fords
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you know anyone in construction that may have a kerosene/diesel burner that's used to speed Sheetrock mud/paint drying time? We use one at work in the winter time since neither want to dry that fast. Those burners don't care what the quality of fuel is that there using. Or anyone that may have an old tractor that runs on diesel? Just some ideas.

Old 07-21-2016, 12:50 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
This afternoon I had a few minutes so I siphoned 20 gallons of fuel out of the tank. I took a few samples and it looked nice and clear through all 20 gallons. Think I'm going to change the filter and throw in some fresh in and start it up. This stuff is clean enough to put back in and use.

Old 07-21-2016, 01:43 AM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A dead giveaway if it has fungus is smell. If it is contaminated it will smell like rotton eggs. No rotton egg smell, good to go!!

The samples you posted looked good to me. I'd run it.

I think it's time to start a pool.

I got money on you throwing in batteries, hitting the starter and it starting on the SECOND attempt.

There will be some weird smells and sounds but she will smooth out and the dust will burn off.

I'm getting impatient man, start that dang thing!!........after you change the oil.

Old 07-21-2016, 10:37 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Sorry Clem, still have to run a business and take care of prior commitments. This thing just fell into my lap unexpected. I wish I could just do it! To be honest I shouldn't even be on here this much right now, but I'm here! It's all about priorities right?

Old 07-21-2016, 05:21 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
So my dodge 3500 just dumped the trans on me and I just topped off the tank before she let me down so I'm transferring good fuel into the F350 today. Im not going to drop the tank as after seeing the condition of what is coming out there is no need. I will replace the filter and see what happens like so many here have suggested. If the new filter clogs quickly I will drop the tank then and go through all the steps to sanitize everything. This truck is too clean to even worry about it.

Old 07-21-2016, 05:58 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,320 Likes on 1,741 Posts
Be sure and allow a few minutes for the fuel bowl to completely fill after you install the new filter, bevel seal, and cap.

This is done by simply turning the key on Run, so that power goes to the fuel pump, and waiting for a minute or two until you hear all the whirring and buzzing stop.

Do this with good batteries , as three loads will be drawn simultaneously during this recommended prolonged Key On, Engine Off:

1. Glow plugs will turn on, drawing tons of current, running for 120 seconds (even though the Wait to Start light turns off much sooner than the glow plugs actually turn off.)

2. Vacuum pump will turn on, pumping until the vacuum reservoir reaches a pre set state of vacuum to operate the HVAC and hubs. That will be the sound heard under the hood.

3. Fuel pump will turn on, which will be the sound under the driver's floorboard. You'll want to wait until this sound stops before turning the key to start, so as to fill the fuel bowl up entirely, to the point where the excess fuel pushes the regulator spring and spills fuel (and more importantly, expells the air from when you drained the bowl) back into the return lines to the tank. The fuel pump will stop automatically.

If you wanted to get crazy detailed, you could pull the cap to the top of the high pressure oil reservoir and pour some new oil in there, but once you start it, the low pressure pump will refill the reservoir soon enough.

But I would definitely allow the key to be on for a minute or two before starting to at least get the fuel bowl refilled electrically.

Old 07-21-2016, 06:10 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Be sure and allow a few minutes for the fuel bowl to completely fill after you install the new filter, bevel seal, and cap.

This is done by simply turning the key on Run, so that power goes to the fuel pump, and waiting for a minute or two until you hear all the whirring and buzzing stop.

Do this with good batteries , as three loads will be drawn simultaneously during this recommended prolonged Key On, Engine Off:

1. Glow plugs will turn on, drawing tons of current, running for 120 seconds (even though the Wait to Start light turns off much sooner than the glow plugs actually turn off.)

2. Vacuum pump will turn on, pumping until the vacuum reservoir reaches a pre set state of vacuum to operate the HVAC and hubs. That will be the sound heard under the hood.

3. Fuel pump will turn on, which will be the sound under the driver's floorboard. You'll want to wait until this sound stops before turning the key to start, so as to fill the fuel bowl up entirely, to the point where the excess fuel pushes the regulator spring and spills fuel (and more importantly, expells the air from when you drained the bowl) back into the return lines to the tank. The fuel pump will stop automatically.

If you wanted to get crazy detailed, you could pull the cap to the top of the high pressure oil reservoir and pour some new oil in there, but once you start it, the low pressure pump will refill the reservoir soon enough.

But I would definitely allow the key to be on for a minute or two before starting to at least get the fuel bowl refilled electrically.
Perfect, thanks for the details on what to expect as I'm going to be on edge till it fires off I'm sure. Already getting anxious.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:13 AM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
Or install the new filter and add auto trans fluid in the fuel bowl so there's less chance off air getting into the system.

Old 07-22-2016, 10:27 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
So why tranny fluid and not diesel? Sounds kinda strange...

Old 07-22-2016, 11:37 AM
Y2KW57
Received 3,320 Likes on 1,741 Posts
There is no reason whatsoever to put transmission fluid in the fuel filter bowl. That is a "creative idea", but not recommended. STRONGLY not recommended.

Quick Reply: Any Creative Ideas for LEGALLY Disposing of Old Diesel Fuel...