1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you lease a Super Duty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 09:22 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Can you lease a Super Duty?

As title says, can you lease one, namely for personal/non-commercial use? I'd love to eventually run an F-250 diesel, but the amount of issues these modern diesels have, especially for un-worked daily drivers, seems to be astounding, and I'd rather keep those costs on the dealer/Ford and out of my pocket.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:36 PM
cyncwby
Elder User
Call your local Ford dealer and ask them........ and the amount of issues that some of these trucks have had is very small in comparison as to how many are on the road with no problems. You get 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty, and then 5yr./100k on the diesel drivetrain...... these things are mechanical so anything can happen.

Old 07-18-2016, 09:41 PM
DallasSuperCrew
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 07-18-2016, 11:46 PM
Pocketlint
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can lease a super duty, how much you pay for the lease and how many miles kilometers etc you are allowed will be detailed in the lease. Just be aware that you will have to have full insurance coverage including glass on it.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:21 AM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 317 Likes on 287 Posts
Old 07-19-2016, 01:02 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
You can lease them, but Ford generally does not run very good programs for them. If you work with your Ford dealer they can put a pretty good maintenance and warranty package that truly does keep cost down for a purchase out to 8 years and 125k. Then trade it in with a little equity. Fuel, tires, and rotors are effectively the only "unknown" cost if you package it right.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:23 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by cyncwby
Call your local Ford dealer and ask them........ and the amount of issues that some of these trucks have had is very small in comparison as to how many are on the road with no problems. You get 3yr/36k bumper to bumper warranty, and then 5yr./100k on the diesel drivetrain...... these things are mechanical so anything can happen.
Thanks, this is probably 2 years out, maybe a little less. I have a current lease (in a long line of leases), and by that time all debt should be paid, in a house, savings where I want them ect, I was just getting an idea if it's possible. What I don't want is to get the truck, lose valves or have a major repair at 10K miles, and not be able to get rid of the vehicle in a few years for the next toy. I trade every 2 years or so.

Originally Posted by DallasSuperCrew
Couldn't get anything out of that site, "no programs available".

Originally Posted by Pocketlint
You can lease a super duty, how much you pay for the lease and how many miles kilometers etc you are allowed will be detailed in the lease. Just be aware that you will have to have full insurance coverage including glass on it.
I'm used to full insurance, even when I outright owned my Ford Expedition, I had full coverage because I knew I couldn't afford to replace it if it was totaled (and I'm glad I did, because a semi totaled it).

Originally Posted by Mike1
Says no lease programs available.

Originally Posted by Frantz
You can lease them, but Ford generally does not run very good programs for them. If you work with your Ford dealer they can put a pretty good maintenance and warranty package that truly does keep cost down for a purchase out to 8 years and 125k. Then trade it in with a little equity. Fuel, tires, and rotors are effectively the only "unknown" cost if you package it right.
I was hoping you'd reply . It seems that that sort of deal lines up with a commercial lease, but I might be reading it wrong. I just was asking the question because it seems that with gas low, everyone is buying big trucks and SUV's for road toys, so I figured why not me too! But I tend to trade often, and do 0 down, so I generally lead towards leasing, as most finances want money down. When I'm out on the road, money down is money I don't recover if the truck gets totaled.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:39 PM
Frantz
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Def don't put money down on a lease, you get nothing in return but a lower payment. You're on the right thinking, but it's hard to make work they way Ford factors the SD line. For example, I have a 2016 608a package. Leasing residual for 36 months 15k is 46%, and you get $0 rebates.... and the rate isn't cut down either, and to top it off, there aren't any MSRP discount packages on it. So other than dealer discount, you're up the creek. Of course that could all change, but that's how it's been. A commercial lease customer gets all rebates including FMC rebate. Now it's an open lease, so whatever number you agree to post as the residual difference to what it sells for at auction after the lease is gained or owed, but it will keep your monthly payment down and allow you to just pay on the deprecation used. When structured properly can be a great asset Ford offers to commercial customers.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:59 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Frantz
Def don't put money down on a lease, you get nothing in return but a lower payment. You're on the right thinking, but it's hard to make work they way Ford factors the SD line. For example, I have a 2016 608a package. Leasing residual for 36 months 15k is 46%, and you get $0 rebates.... and the rate isn't cut down either, and to top it off, there aren't any MSRP discount packages on it. So other than dealer discount, you're up the creek. Of course that could all change, but that's how it's been. A commercial lease customer gets all rebates including FMC rebate. Now it's an open lease, so whatever number you agree to post as the residual difference to what it sells for at auction after the lease is gained or owed, but it will keep your monthly payment down and allow you to just pay on the deprecation used. When structured properly can be a great asset Ford offers to commercial customers.
I'm on my 5th lease right now, a 2016 Jeep Patriot High Altitude 4x4. And it was more because Ford wouldn't play ball on the Fiesta lease, and Ford didn't make an Escape that I liked. I didn't want to take on a 800$/month car payment right now. But the residual is so high, and mileage so low, that even dumping the Patriot 7 months in will be possible. But I'll probably use it for about 2 years. I just like new cars, alot. And I lease, alot. My wife wanted me to go to the GM camp, (we love our 2014 Buick Verano), but I didn't like their small SUV's. I really would like to try big diesel truck. Just because they seem awesome, and I loved driving my Expedition so I feel size won't really bother me.

Since leases seem non-existent for non-commercial buyers, I guess when the time comes I'll have to decide if it's worth buying one, knowing that I'll probably trade it on a new toy before it depreciates properly.

Also, I asked here, because our Ford dealer is an absolutely horrid chain of dealers. I'll have to talk to a dealer an hour or two away to try to get some service. I didn't want to entertain the salesman here trying to ask for lease info.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:03 PM
PAracephan
Junior User
Originally Posted by heymrdj
As title says, can you lease one, namely for personal/non-commercial use? I'd love to eventually run an F-250 diesel, but the amount of issues these modern diesels have, especially for un-worked daily drivers, seems to be astounding, and I'd rather keep those costs on the dealer/Ford and out of my pocket.

Leasing this truck males NO sense.
Simply but it. Then drive it for however long you desire. Then trade it in. They hold value pretty well.
Also, your not locked into a term at all.
If you can't afford the "buy" paymemt, then you can't afford the vehicle at all. That simple.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:04 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by PAracephan
Leasing this truck males NO sense.
Simply but it. Then drive it for however long you desire. Then trade it in. They hold value pretty well.
Also, your not locked into a term at all.
If you can't afford the "buy" paymemt, then you can't afford the vehicle at all. That simple.
You're just being silly. Generally leasing will always work out to someone that plans to keep a vehicle short term and trade it back to the dealer. Your idea for maintaining value comes with the caveats that the manufacturer keeps the value of the truck intact. More than likely values of 11-16's will go down with the new 17's. If 17's don't work well because of first year teething, then those that get 17's will find themselves holding an expensive purse. If gas prices go up the truck will again be worth nothing compared to what it's bought for. Add on that most banks want money down, where if the truck gets totaled or stolen you'll lose 100% of that cash for the first several years, rolling around in an always financed new truck is absolutely silly.

I've also never been locked into term on a lease. I could add a few months to it, or I could turn it in early, or I could just buy it outright. None of the options were ever painful. I see used values of F-250's are pretty high, but so is every dealer lot price before negotiations. Doesn't mean that a 4 year old diesel with 25K on it is actually worth 37K.

You're affording jab is silly as well. If you have to finance a vehicle at all you can't afford it. If you can't use your states self-financed auto insurance option, you can't really afford to drive, because you're just borrowing money from the insurance company. If you can afford to lease a vehicle, you can afford to buy it, but leasing is a lot more intelligent way to structure your money when you know you're going to trade. You obviously don't have a passion for different vehicles and different experiences, that's ok, I don't expect you to understand leasing. But it's not about the payment. It's about being smart with an expensive hobby.

I leased a fiesta as a cheap commuter and Ford ended up screwing up it's name to the point no one wants them anymore. It had a very high residual compared to most cars, but it's value dropped like a rock. Like 9,000$ in 2 years like a rock. Had I bought that car, I would have lost my shirt having just turned it in early for another car. But because I leased it, I lost nothing. I got a 1000$ lease conquest credit (which was not available if a car is financed), walked away from the car with a 300$ check in my pocket because of the "this is what I'd buy the car at the end of the lease for" price. That price was 3,700$ higher than what the car just sold for. That's how bad the Fiesta's took a hit in value. Another example was my 2012 Civic. I had the option of a 0 down lease or 1200$ down finance. I leased it. 8 months later a senior citizen in a station wagon put the car into a phone pole, totaling it. Your "wise" advice would have cost me nearly 5000$.

You're free to buy it if you keep them forever. I don't. Hence looking at structuring yet another lease as I'm very used to leasing cars to get something new. If they don't lease, that's fine, I'll still probably just finance one anyways. But a lease on one would really make alot more sense for me.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:20 PM
Larietpsd
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I love fords 24 mos lease has nothing to do with being able to afford a buy. Why would I want negative equity, tires, brakes, etc when I can be in the latest and greatest every 1.6-2 years. I will try and lease a new superduty soon for 24 if ford doesn't offer it then I will stick with a 150

Old 07-19-2016, 08:24 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Back in 14 asked about leasing my last 250, the dealer wouldn't lease anything above a 150. May depend on the dealer.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:52 PM
heymrdj
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Larietpsd
I love fords 24 mos lease has nothing to do with being able to afford a buy. Why would I want negative equity, tires, brakes, etc when I can be in the latest and greatest every 1.6-2 years. I will try and lease a new superduty soon for 24 if ford doesn't offer it then I will stick with a 150
Pretty much this. As a computer guy, I see all the new tech that goes into cars every few years. It'd suck to buy one and be into it for 8 years, when another wonderful piece of makes your life easier tech comes out in 2-3. Could I save money by keeping a car? I could. But this is my one and only guilty pleasure (new cars). Working has to be worth something in my life time.

Originally Posted by projectnitemare
Back in 14 asked about leasing my last 250, the dealer wouldn't lease anything above a 150. May depend on the dealer.
That's the kind of knowledge I was looking for. People that have tried and their experiences. My guess is there will be a few outliers (mainly commercial) offering them for leases. I know that w offer leases of equipment that no one else does in the technology world, so there's probably someone out there doing it. It'll just depend if it's worth finding it.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:29 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
You're operating under a lot of assumptions about leasing, and most of them I've seen false much of the time.

What I don't want is to get the truck, lose valves or have a major repair at 10K miles, and not be able to get rid of the vehicle in a few years for the next toy.
Why would a warranty repair affect anything about trade-in or resale? Heck, why would an out-of-warranty affect the same?

Add on that most banks want money down, where if the truck gets totaled or stolen you'll lose 100% of that cash for the first several years, rolling around in an always financed new truck is absolutely silly.
I've put down money on maybe three or four out of fifteen new vehicle purchases I've made over the last fourteen years. The rest has been with 0 down and financing the entire purchase cost of the vehicle. I'll be the first to admit I'm a fool with money when it comes to vehicle purchases, but I've never come close to a loss trading in after two or more years.

My '08 F250 was totalled out less than a year after purchase with 15,000 miles on it. I financed the full amount, and due to market forces swinging in my direction I walked away with $8,000 in my pocket. The loan balance was $32,000 and the insurance company paid me $38,000 plus $2K towards sales tax of a new vehicle. Had I been in a lease, the buyout would have been significantly higher than my loan balance, and I would have walked away with significantly less.

With GAP coverage, which costs me $20 every six months on my insurance policy, the insurance company picks up any negative equity if the vehicle gets totalled out. You can buy this coverage when you purchase the vehicle, but it's generally $500-1,000.

I'm not here to debate purchasing vs. leasing, but I wanted to share my experience with you. We share the same guilty pleasure, and I've come out ahead significantly by purchasing than leasing. The difference is that I'm liable for market swings, such as I learned on my Prius after gas prices hit the floor. But I'm not locking into a bank's conservative value hedging. I'd be happy to rattle off specific numbers on purchase vs. trade value for my vehicles over the years, but you probably don't care that much. Take a good look at used truck values and play with some loan amortization calculators. You might be surprised.

Quick Reply: Can you lease a Super Duty?