1967 - 1972 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Bumpsides Ford Truck

1968 f250 power steering gearbox

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 11:16 AM
orich
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Lost_in_tx
Front right disc is locked up now. Still rolls but you can't turn the tire by hand. I may have stretched the brake line when I was changing bushings but not sure. Guess I'll start by replacing those and go from there.

On on another note. What kind of replacement calipers could I use and where to buy them? Everything I seem to find online is the whole disc brake kit
Go to any parts store order them.

Try opening the bleeder to let off ant pressure build up in the brake line.

If you did not rebuild the calipers then do so or get two replacements you can't or should not replace one side. You would not buy one new shoe to
wear to church with one old one or would you?.

Have you cleaned an lube the sliding guilds did you?
As this could be the problem with yours hanging up.
Orich

Old 11-09-2016, 12:05 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by orich
Go to any parts store order them.

Try opening the bleeder to let off ant pressure build up in the brake line.

If you did not rebuild the calipers then do so or get two replacements you can't or should not replace one side. You would not buy one new shoe to
wear to church with one old one or would you?.

Have you cleaned an lube the sliding guilds did you?
As this could be the problem with yours hanging up.
Orich
2X. Also check the metal brake lines to make sure you didn't accidentally bump one and put a dent in it. Squeezing it almost shut.
Rubber brake hoses on both sides are Ford part number C5TZ2078A.
The brake caliper was originally part number C8TZ2B120A. Replaced by D1TZ2B120A. Then this was replaced by D1TZ2B120B. This D1TZ2B120B Ford says was a kit. It has 2-1972/75 calipers and 2-special brake hoses to adapt to older Bumps such as yours.
Green sales shows both part numbers. If their D1TZ2B120B does indeed still have both calipers and both hoses in it, that would be everything you need. As Orich suggested.
Green Sales is 1-800-543-4959.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:07 PM
Lost_in_tx
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys.

And no, Orich, Father Jack wouldn't let me in

Old 11-27-2016, 10:39 PM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'll chime in here. I've rebuilt numerous calipers over the years off of everything. I rebuilt mine and realized that the 50.00 that Auto Zone and O'reillys is selling them for is a steal.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:47 PM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
I had hoped my newest acquisition, a 69 f-250 had the ford box. No such luck since it was made in early 69. I went round and round on my 67 with the Bendix p.o.s. I bit the bullet and bought a redhead reman.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:11 PM
Lost_in_tx
Mountain Pass
How has the Redhead been?

The remaned one one I purchased through parts boulevard in Portland Oregon works well but has a small leak. I have to say they have bent over backwards and already have a replacement on the way - no questions asked. Can't say how pleased I am.

If this one leaks as well, they will refund my $$ and I'll probably consider the Redhead.

Old 12-20-2016, 11:07 PM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
No problems with the Redhead unit. I've sold the truck to a fellow in California and I assume he got there with no problems.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Lost_in_tx
Mountain Pass
Finally got the new gearbox in. Instructions ask me to flush and bleed the system first. Is this completely necessary? It has a remaned pump and I've bled out about 186 quarts naturally over the last few months.

What do you think?

Old 01-03-2017, 05:42 PM
JEFFFAFA
Hotshot
Received 169 Likes on 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Lost_in_tx
and I've bled out about 186 quarts naturally over the last few months.

What do you think?

I don't think so. They are worried about old systems with dirty/contaminated fluid in them. Your system was together and working just leaking. And it sounds like you've flushed all that out of your system long ago.

Old 01-03-2017, 10:20 PM
Lost_in_tx
Mountain Pass
Makes sense. The hoses look fairly new too so I don't know where else the contamination would be. I'll swap it out in the morning.. cross your fingers that it works!

Old 01-04-2017, 04:20 PM
willowbilly3
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sandman2102
I got my ps setup for my 68 360 v8 out of a 1972 3/4 ton v8. everything bolted up although i did install new fluid lines. Spent about a total of $225.00.
I must have been doing something wrong on the ones I did. I always had to change out the steering shaft and the firewall support bracket.

Old 01-04-2017, 05:10 PM
sandman2102
Junior User
You might want to run some fluid through it in case there are any metal bits left over from the rebuild.

Old 02-26-2017, 08:24 AM
Lost_in_tx
Mountain Pass
So I've been thinking - I never had any problems with the original bendix box before I had to replace my ps pump. Picked a remaned unit up from oreillys and the bendix almost immediately had problems. So, I just thought it had bit the bullet. Then I track down one of the few rebuilt units available and boom, it starts leaking immediately as if the seals were blown.

Now im sitting here lookin at the new bendix they sent and I'm wondering - could I have the wrong ps pump? Could it be causing my boxes to go boom?

Old 02-26-2017, 12:13 PM
mrpotatohead
Posting Guru
I've a couple of different Bendix boxes and they have all leaked where the pressure line, the smaller of the two, threads into the gearbox. The tube seat appears to not be sealing to the flare fitting. I have installed a copper washer in between the seat and the tube with good results. I am wondering if this tube seat is separately replaceable like one from a master cylinder is. The problem is if I try and remove it with a large sheet metal screw I will definitely ruin it and it may not be available.

Old 03-31-2017, 06:52 AM
Lost_in_tx
Mountain Pass
Well, I didn't feel like ruining another bendix gearbox so I ordered another remanufactured ps pump from rock auto. This one had a couple seals that came with it and I used one on the smaller line you mentioned leaked often. After I put that in, no problems. The truck has been idle for about 5 months since the carb started leaking fuel and my power steering issues, so the drive around the block yesterday before dark felt really nice.

If if I were to do it over again, I would have just ponied up for the redhead rebuilt gearbox instead of the BBB one.

Quick Reply: 1968 f250 power steering gearbox