Sponsored by:

Transmission cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 08:25 AM
Jeff53
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Transmission cooler

We just recently returned from a trip to my in-laws house in PA with our 30 ft TT. On the way up, everthing seemed fine until I got into stop and go traffic and the trans temperature started to creep up some. No real issues until I drove up my in-law's steep driveway to park the trailer. At that point, the trans temp got up to 220 degrees (maybe slightly over, as that was what it was the last I looked while parking). It burped some fluid out onto the exhaust. I checked it the next day and the fluid didn't smell burnt and was bright red, so I don't think any damage was done.

Anyway, my question is regarding upgrading my V10 transmission cooler to the 6.0 one. Is it a direct bolt in and hook up to the existing lines or is some modification needed to connect the existing lines to the new cooler? I was also planning on swapping out the fluid to synthetic as extra protection.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:42 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
It bolts to the existing mounts. You'll need adapters to change from the truck's 3/8" lines to the cooler's 1/2" lines. Any hardware store will have those fittings for a couple bucks.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:56 AM
Jeff53
Senior User
Thanks

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
It bolts to the existing mounts. You'll need adapters to change from the truck's 3/8" lines to the cooler's 1/2" lines. Any hardware store will have those fittings for a couple bucks.
Thanks, Mark.

I see the factory coolers are a bit pricey. Has anyone ever used the Dorman 918-216 aftermarket replacement? I may end up searching around for a used one instead of new.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:35 AM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I used the dorman...even used the 6.0 coolers are pricey, plus you never truly know "why" it was replaced....No problems with mine been on for a little over a year.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:53 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 833 Likes on 572 Posts
I have a new Dorman 6.0 cooler for my V-10 sitting in the garage waiting to go on when I do my upcoming trans flush, it looks like quality unit.

I've never gotten my trans temp over 210 but I'm upgrading for future Western trips to the bigger mountains out there.

Old 07-16-2016, 12:41 PM
R&T Babich
Fleet Mechanic
Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts
I also have the Dorman 918-216 trans cooler installed for over a year now.
We've towed our 7k TH up/down the west coast a couple of times with no problems.
Great cooler and much lower temps.
Although the cooler is much larger it has 1/2" tubing which lowers the cooler line pressure so the bypass circuit is not affected.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:12 PM
Jeff53
Senior User
Dorman it is

Thanks everyone. It was pretty hot (95+) the day that the tranny got over 220, so that was a factor I'm sure. But, since we'll be towing a good bit, I think I'll go with the larger cooler and the synthetic fluid. I added the external factory cooler to my Avalanche after I had the inevitable tranny issues with it and it made a good 15-20 degrees difference in the temperature, so I'm figuring the larger 6.0 cooler should make a similar difference over stock in the Excursion.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:24 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Jeff53
I may end up searching around for a used one instead of new.
I would NEVER install a used cooler! How much debris is inside this used cooler? It's impossible to completely flush this cooler. You can never be sure to get everything out of the cooler. Is saving a few bucks here worth the cost of destroying your transmission?

Old 07-17-2016, 07:20 AM
Jeff53
Senior User
I agree

Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I would NEVER install a used cooler! How much debris is inside this used cooler? It's impossible to completely flush this cooler. You can never be sure to get everything out of the cooler. Is saving a few bucks here worth the cost of destroying your transmission?
After thinking about it and with some of the feedback from other members, I'm going to give the Dorman cooler a shot. It's about half the price or less of a new one from Ford.

Mark, do you have any experience with the Dorman vs the Ford. It appears to be the same size and same number of rows from what I've read.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:49 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Mark, do you have any experience with the Dorman vs the Ford.
No, I do not.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:09 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
We just recently returned from a trip to my in-laws house in PA with our 30 ft TT. On the way up, everthing seemed fine until I got into stop and go traffic and the trans temperature started to creep up some. No real issues until I drove up my in-law's steep driveway to park the trailer. At that point, the trans temp got up to 220 degrees (maybe slightly over, as that was what it was the last I looked while parking). It burped some fluid out onto the exhaust. I checked it the next day and the fluid didn't smell burnt and was bright red, so I don't think any damage was done.

Hey Jeff, is your EX a 4X4? And did the ATF burping event happen while backing the TT into it's spot? If so in the future you could reduce the load on the hot from traveling trans by using 4LOW for backing the TT into a campsite or parking spot.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:35 AM
Jeff53
Senior User
Thanks

Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Hey Jeff, is your EX a 4X4? And did the ATF burping event happen while backing the TT into it's spot? If so in the future you could reduce the load on the hot from traveling trans by using 4LOW for backing the TT into a campsite or parking spot.
I wasn't aware of that. Yes, it's a 4x4. It actually started getting really hot going up his long steep driveway and then driving around his house in 4wd. That's when it burped. I didn't have much backing up to park it, but I'll remember next time to try 4L with it. I've ordered the 6.0 Dorman cooler and will be installing that and likely doing a fluid swap to synthetic. I need to check all of the paperwork again that I got with the truck. The previous owner may have already changed the fluid. It's bright red and no burnt smell, so I don't think it was overheated for too long. But, if I can't find a record of it being changed, I'll be swapping out to synthetic. The more protection the better, especially when towing.

I was just looking at your info. I wasn't too far from you when visiting my in-laws. They live in the West Chester/Malvern area.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:11 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
I wasn't aware of that. Yes, it's a 4x4. It actually started getting really hot going up his long steep driveway and then driving around his house in 4wd. That's when it burped. I didn't have much backing up to park it, but I'll remember next time to try 4L with it. I've ordered the 6.0 Dorman cooler and will be installing that and likely doing a fluid swap to synthetic. I need to check all of the paperwork again that I got with the truck. The previous owner may have already changed the fluid. It's bright red and no burnt smell, so I don't think it was overheated for too long. But, if I can't find a record of it being changed, I'll be swapping out to synthetic. The more protection the better, especially when towing.

I was just looking at your info. I wasn't too far from you when visiting my in-laws. They live in the West Chester/Malvern area.

Yep, right around the corner!

Old 07-17-2016, 11:29 AM
Vwags
Elder User
I run the Dorman cooler as well. No problems even when towing to the Grand Canyon in the summer up hill...both ways lol

Old 07-17-2016, 03:56 PM
Nicmike
Veteran/Sheepdog

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts
I have towed a light load (~3500lbs trailering pigs around) in 95*F weather here in Texas with my Dorman 6.0 knock-off since I put it in about 9 months ago. Can't get the transmission over 170*F, even when pulling the little hills around here.

When not pulling a load, the transmission stays around 155*F. It works really well. Maybe too well....

Quick Reply: Transmission cooler