Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totaled My Excursion

Old 07-15-2016, 03:05 PM
mmuthart
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Totaled My Excursion

Our '05 6.0 Excursion will be deemed 'un-repairable' by the body shop because they can't locate a usable frame in the near vicinity.

We had an accident towing our '24 toy hauler in the Idaho mountains. The Excursion impacted the side of a hill after uncontrollable trailer sway. We are all thankful to have walked away.

The front and the rear of the frame are bent. The 6.0 stills purrs like a kitten, it just lost all it's coolant.

So...

On the chance of still getting it repaired...anyone know where a good 6.0 Excursion frame is?

If it does not get fixed, can anyone estimate a salvage value of the truck (153k miles)?

My insurance company is State Farm. NADA is $20,275. I'm seeing similar vehicle/miles for sale for around that amount.

Any experience or advice in coming out ahead in this sad ordeal?

Thanks!
Mark

Attached Images  
Old 07-15-2016, 03:41 PM
Don Naslund
Laughing Gas
Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts
How sad......... Sorry to see that but glad you are ok. I think that I would take the check if they offered $20k. You will need fenders, front grille and radiator too. I am sure that you could find the parts from a wrecking yard in another state and have it shipped to you.

Old 07-15-2016, 03:51 PM
mmuthart
Junior User
Originally Posted by Don Naslund
How sad......... Sorry to see that but glad you are ok. I think that I would take the check if they offered $20k. You will need fenders, front grille and radiator too. I am sure that you could find the parts from a wrecking yard in another state and have it shipped to you.
Thanks Don. The issue is the frame. They won't ship frames apparently. I'd have to go pick one up. I found one in Oklahoma

I can find CHEAP gas Excursions all day on Craigslist....

Anyone know what the frame differences are between gas and diesel X's?

Old 07-15-2016, 04:15 PM
03V10Excursion
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't believe there is any difference in the gas/diesel frames... but the labor to disassemble the gasser and put it back under your 6.0 is going to be astronomical.

Old 07-15-2016, 04:17 PM
Jeremy05
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
All Truck in Salt Lake had/has a nice 05 that was a roll over and TransWest in Lehi also has/had a 05 roll over. Both diesel in Utah and not to far of a drive to get. Ironically they were the same color as yours. Try them out. I'd ask for 2003-2004 though. The 2005 model seems to mess up the system looking for frames.

Also that front frame section is the same as the pickups so that can be replaced, the rear is different though. Get a coil over frame section from a 05-07 truck if your gonna get it fixed.

Any pictures of the rear?

Old 07-15-2016, 05:50 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear that the beast will be put down. Is the frame bad?

Old 07-15-2016, 08:25 PM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 791 Likes on 554 Posts
Very sorry to see this, but very glad to see the EX protected your family during the crash.

No frame differences between gas and diesel frames that I know of, so if you can find a real cheap gasser that may be your best bet. The oil burners do have slightly heavier front springs for the extra engine weight, of course most EXs would benefit from heavier than stock springs anyway.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:02 PM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't think labor would differ. Swapping a frame is swapping a frame if they're getting a frame from a salvage yard it will be just a bare frame anyway.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:05 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Happy to hear you all walked away fine... Ex can be replaced.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:24 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
I'd get enlist the help of somebody that has experience with collision repair or building hot rods to look at that frame.

Impossible for me to tell for sure from that pic but my guess is the front frame horn is bent, that is not all that difficult a fix if you either have the ability or the connections. Insurance company's would like total an excursion over a bent front frame horn because at full shop rate it wouldn't pan out with the value vs possible ongoing and or hidden damage.

Take the 20k, buy it back for the $1500 or so they will sell it back to you and fix it for for under $10k

Old 07-16-2016, 12:18 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
I agree with the above. I would like to see more pics all around and see what/where the frame is bent. As mentioned the front is a riveted in affair if it even needs replaced. A good body shop can sort out a frame pretty quickly. You may come out ahead buying it back and repairing it, and may only suffer the "damage" of a salvaged title.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:51 PM
mmuthart
Junior User
Thanks for all the tips guys! I'll try to get some additional pics.

The body shop showed me where one of the back doors is not flush with the body near the top outside corner when closed. And on the outside of the roof opposite the door that is no longer flush, there appears to be a small crease in the sheet metal. They think the frame is really bound up or twisted. So they are not comfortable with any repairs to the frame since they have to guarantee it for life.

If I can get $20K cash and buy back for only $1500, I'd probably jump on that. My Excursion has lots of time and money in it and I'm currently debating whether to go back to another Excursion or find a more plentiful truck (2006-2007).

Regarding the gas vs diesel frame...I'd imagine the motor mounts are different, but don't know for sure. Anyone know if the motor mounts are bolted or welded on?

Old 07-16-2016, 03:43 PM
FordxFour
Posting Guru
If you're patient, you can find a 6.0 roller fairly cheap. Then just swap in your running gear.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:46 PM
05MilMachine
Cargo Master
A body shop that isn't comfortable repairing a bent frame? I think I would be looking elsewhere for a shop with a good frame person. There are too many body shops out there who just want to do quicky insurance jobs, bolt on fenders and do scuff and shoots.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:49 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by mmuthart
So they are not comfortable with any repairs to the frame since they have to guarantee it for life.
And there is the real reason insurance companies total vehicles, never.

Ask any automotive repair facility how many times a week somebody comes in for let say a brake job and then returns claiming that now the engine misses and it is a result of the shops work on the brakes. insurance companies are on the hook for they never ending claims and so they write a check and they are done with it.

as for your damage, more pics needed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Totaled My Excursion