Sponsored by: DP Tuner

E99 f350 front end rebuild.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 10:33 PM
Redneckmorton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E99 f350 front end rebuild.

Hey yall. Just bought a truck the other day, E99 f350 crew cab long bed dually 4x4. Bad part is that I ended up wrecking it on the test drive. I pulled out in front of a lady, and she hit me on the passenger side front tire. Needless to say I need to rebuild the whole front end.

I could use a little help on what parts to buy.

Hubs: There seems like a million different options here. Really cheap from ebay. Cheap from parts house. Mid price from parts house. Really expensive from parts house. Only get Timken hubs. Go through the dealership and buy factory. Go all out and buy free float hub set. ****I'm lost on this one and need suggestions ****

Rotors/Calipers/Brake pads: I've been doing a lot of research on everything. Haven't found much in terms of upgraded front end parts for theses trucks. But I am considering ordering hubs, rotors, Calipers, and pads for a 2000 though. (Is it worth it for the cheaper components?) What brand should I get? Factory? I tend to deal with advance auto so I know they carry wearever items. Should I go through Napa to get them instead. How about the power stop kits, I've read good things a out them.

All the steering linkage: Is the stock steering linkage the best available? Probably going with Moog problem solver for it.

Is this a good price on the kit?
http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com...packagedeal012

Ball joints: Moog problem solver

Steering gear box? Would like to get a redhead.

U joints: Spicer

Axle seal kit?
Axle bearings?
I know I should replace the dust seal when I put it all back together. But should I go ahead and pull it rest of the way down and replace everything? I know Spicer makes a master seal kit with the seals and bearings and bolts.

I used to have a 96 f350, so not new to working on my own stuff but have never done any front end work like this. But I've been reading and watching videos for the past week and it doesn't seem all that hard to do.

Unfortunately the truck came before I was able to have my driveway poured. I was really looking for a 2000 model truck, but this one popped up down the road from me and after wrecking it on the test drive I felt obligated to buy it. Just glad it was the body configuration that I wanted.

So needless to say I have 3 options on how to work on the truck. I can do it in my driveway. Which is a narrow rock drive. I could pull the front axle and set it up in my garage, I'd buy a window unit to help keep me cool. Or I can do it in my dad's driveway across the street. With plenty of room to work on it. If it will fit in one of the two spots that I could back it in. (But something tells me I'd never hear the end of it somehow)

Pulling the axle and working in the ac sound pretty amazing actually. Plenty of light in there that I can work on it after hours as well. ( I have a jeep as my DD so I'm not in a hurry to rebuild.) But the garage is small so I couldn't just nose it in to work on it.

Old 07-14-2016, 10:40 PM
Redneckmorton
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do need a hub cap if anyone has one.

Old 07-14-2016, 11:34 PM
KJNDIVER
Elder User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ive done all the above work you mention to mine a few times (except for steering box). Its not really that bad, the first time is a bit intimidating though. I would opt for the driveway across the street with room to work. No real need to remove the axle to do these jobs. More work involved and no real gain if you ask me. Need good flat surface for jack and jack stands and little room to work. Could possibly use your rock drive, but I tend to use chairs or creepers with wheels and they usually dont roll too well when rocks are involved.