1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Truck has been sitting for 5 years... Pre start help needed.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 10:06 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clem1226, I looked all the wiring and plastic under the hood over really well and found that they did reshape the plastics that sits in front of the radiator where the hood latch is. I can probably take a rotary grinder and make it look like it his was meant to look like that. Other than that nothing found as of yet. The truck was sitting in front of a very nice home with regular gardeners working the area just about every day. As soon as they see signs of rats the poison goes out. I'm guessing that is what happened here as I found two skeletal remains of rats under the hood. Everything in the nest seemed semi fresh but the rats were gone a long time ago?

As far as the Dib's goes... As I pulled it onto the street getting it ready to tow off I had two of the neighbors approach me at different times asking if I would consider selling it? In fact one of them had a very nice lifted f250 diesel about the same vintage. Nice guy, he even offered to hook up his truck to it drag it to my shop for me. The other neighbor said his folks have been eyeballing it for years and wanted it badly... Oh well, whats the old saying about "you cant look a gift horse in the mouth"? Weird saying...

Name:  CIMG3777_zpsu0jzk08u.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  110.7 KB

Name:  CIMG3778_zpscu1iyvzl.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  140.3 KB
Its new home until it is up and running... Then its on the street again!
Name:  CIMG3779_zps9by8su2w.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  146.5 KB

Old 07-18-2016, 11:08 AM
Rikster-7700
Fleet Mechanic
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
That almost look like something was eating that plastic, maybe the two varmints you found? I seem to recall one of the members here bought a new plastic cover for that area. If I suddenly remember who I will let you know.......

Old 07-18-2016, 11:31 AM
Metal twister
Senior User
Originally Posted by Rikster-7700
That almost look like something was eating that plastic, maybe the two varmints you found? I seem to recall one of the members here bought a new plastic cover for that area. If I suddenly remember who I will let you know.......
Yes they were! Ive seen it many times. They love wire shielding and many types of plastics. Im not sure if they eat it or if they are just keeping their teeth good and sharp? I think I can clean it up so on would never know there was an issue there. Very low priority at this point. And Im very fortunate that that is all I have found so far... Thanks for thinking of me!

Old 07-18-2016, 02:48 PM
clem1226
Postmaster

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"you cant look a gift horse in the mouth"? Weird saying...

Basically it means it is rude to assess a gift and/or bitch about it when it is given wishing for something better.

The quickest most accurate way to assess the age of a horse is to look at its teeth. They have a line in their teeth that grows out and disappears with age, if the line is gone they are north of 20ish years old.

Very accurate proverb in this situation.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:30 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Hey Im an old car guy! this is the newest thing I have in years... By Choice mind you. For some reason having to have a smog check just irks me. So I buy old pre smog stuff or Diesels. Here in California it looks like this is subject to a visual inspection but no physical testing is required so it qualifies as a keeper. Have a feeling this truck will be with me to the end mostly because who knows when the end is? And just the thought of it being a gift means a lot. I have horses and never knew what that meant... Thanks for enlightening me.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:38 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Metal twister
Hey Im an old car guy! this is the newest thing I have in years... By Choice mind you.
Me too. So forget the F250, what's parked next to her?

Last edited by SaintITC; 07-18-2016 at 06:41 PM. Reason: Ewwwwwwww!!! <--- Forgot that part
Old 07-18-2016, 08:06 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
LOL thats a 1940 Ford COE Cab Over Engine that I whittled down to size and made a pick up out of it. Back in the day that was their Semi. Under cover is a 1950 Chevy panel truck and on the inside of the shop... well its easier to show ya.

Name:  CIMG0001.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  49.9 KB
Name:  shop007.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  51.0 KB

if ya click on the Instagram camera icon on the upper right corner on my posts it gives a good idea of junk I build.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:44 AM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow, that's awesome. Rat *******...

Old 07-19-2016, 12:19 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Actually this is an awesome rat...

Name:  mouse-trap-lift_zps8378a247.gif
Views: 85
Size:  412.1 KB

Old 07-19-2016, 09:20 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Ok guys, I had a chance to open up the camper shell tonight and found some helpful things in there. Among the dis guards I found a case of Royal Purple, 4 gallons of Evans HP waterless coolant, a new oil filter cartridge and fuel cartridge. along with new wiper blades, ground straps, 2 new tail light lens, and some unique paper work as well. Paper work for an install for an exhaust system, intake and filter, and a wicked wheel. I did a quick search and found it is an after market turbo wheel. Is that a part that is generally replaced because the old one wore out, or is it just a performance thing? Like I said I'm an old school guy and I just flat never played with turbos... Thanks for the help. I just drove the Dodge diesel until the tranny finally died and I never did anything performance wise to it? Seems like a turbo wheel replacement before 158,000 miles might be an issue?

Old 07-19-2016, 10:02 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,183 Likes on 812 Posts
The reason for the turbo wheel is to get rid of surge generally upgraded with an OBS or E99 5/5 blade wheel instead of the 7 blade wheel the 99.5-03 7.3 had.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:19 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
I wanted to thank you all for the time spent in thought, opinions, as well with the time spent typing to help me out here. There was some very sound advice and as always I have learned a great deal in just this one thread alone. It makes me anxious to be able to ask again when help is needed. As of now this is basically what I am taking away from these few days of conversation with you all...

Post #2
rikster-7700- R&R fluids and grease everything, charge battery's.
Post #4
clem1226- No starting fluids!
Post #8
FienUKa- Drain the fuel filter and Lines
Post #14
FienUKa- Let idle Don't Rev on start up!
Post #26
Steveh-co- check rodent damage, drain tank, check turbo, air filter, etc.
Post #29
Jaime7456- Fluids, use drill and bolt to spin low pressure oil pump.
Post #39
Nicmike- Pull fuse (PCM) crank to get oil to turbo
Post #41
Coax-9952- Pictures Lots of pictures
Post #47&49
AllaboutMPG- Links for MFG., and the hutch harpoon Info.
Post #50
Nicmike- Trash the tires.
Post #64
Clem1226- Check her teeth!

Thanks again guys... I did this recap for my future reference so I don't have to read the same thread over and over and over and over again. I changed the color of this post up so it would stand out making it easier to find as it gets shuffled into the thread. I hope this is acceptable with the mods? if not feel free to remove it.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:30 PM
Metal twister
Senior User
Originally Posted by z31freakify
The reason for the turbo wheel is to get rid of surge generally upgraded with an OBS or E99 5/5 blade wheel instead of the 7 blade wheel the 99.5-03 7.3 had.
Oh wow, Having never driven it I didn't know that. I probably would never of known if it has already been fixed and I didn't get your reply... Thank you

Old 07-23-2016, 05:26 PM
Metal twister
Senior User

Well guys I went and started the truck today!
It went just like I expected after talking this all over here with you guys. Very Briefly, I changed out the fuel filter and topped it off with fresh diesel. I got in and started to crank it over and it instantly started and ran for about 5 seconds then died. I tried again and it was wanting to start but not quite catching so I continued to crank for about another 10 seconds or so when it caught on and cleared up. To my surprise no smoke, no drips, no nothing! Kinda of anti climatic... It sounds great and just purrs. I put it in gear and rolled it forward and backward and everything feels normal I guess? I will know more when I can put it on the street and drive it.

Thanks again for all the help and encouragement, In hind sight I probably could of just installed some battery's and lit it off. But going slow like we did I learned a lot and now know exactly what is going on. thanks again!

Old 07-23-2016, 05:33 PM
coax9952
Laughing Gas
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Hate to be a downer on your moment of Glory, But all the smoke, drips and dramatic moments don't smack you in the face until you've run it for awhile.....but enjoy it for the moment......

Quick Reply: Truck has been sitting for 5 years... Pre start help needed.