Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 09:41 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Kristofferson
Great diagram - super helpful.
Numbers are "1406 8127"

When you ask, "how many turns out are the idle screws", does that mean I would count the number of complete turns it takes to get each one all the way in to where it stops? (and I would just remember to turn it out the same number of turns to bring it back out to where it was)
That is correct. Based on your pictures, I was fairly certain it was a 1406, but just wanted to verify. All the images I've provided are for a 1406 as well.

Since the left side is leaking more, the idle screw on that side is the one I'd really like to know. I expect it to be somewhere around 2-4 turns. Remember, snug, don't crank down on it when you check, that would blossom the hole at the end where the idle screw engages the plate.

Old 07-19-2016, 09:45 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Also, what town are you in again? I just want to check travel times just in case Mary has nothing for me to do this Sunday, though with everything that's been going on lately, I haven't made it over to the town house for the honey-do's in a while.

Bob,

If I do make the drive, I'll let you know, and Marty and Dustin, in case any of you want to make the ride as well.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:06 AM
Kristofferson
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Benztechnc
Also, what town are you in again? I just want to check travel times just in case Mary has nothing for me to do this Sunday, though with everything that's been going on lately, I haven't made it over to the town house for the honey-do's in a while.

Bob,

If I do make the drive, I'll let you know, and Marty and Dustin, in case any of you want to make the ride as well.
Thanks! If it works out great, if not, no worries. I live in Weddington, which is SE of Charlotte, easy to get to off of I-485.

I'm running out to a meeting, but will try to get the number of turns to you this afternoon.

Old 07-19-2016, 11:00 AM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
Alright,

That's about a 3 hour drive for me, one way (Fuquay-Varina). Let me see what's going on around here this weekend.

Oh and where did you get to go camping at this past weekend?

Old 07-19-2016, 11:53 AM
Kristofferson
Freshman User
Wow, 3hrs is a bit much - I wouldn't worry about it; let's stick with this Forum "Tech Support" I think it'll do just fine.
We had my 9yr old nephew in town and we took him camping up in the Linville Falls/Gorge/Blueridge Parkway area (Bear Den Campground) -- had great weather and had some really fun hikes. Saw Crabtree Falls, went to Little Switzerland to have some "refreshments" on the terrace overlook at the resort there, did a short hike to Linville Falls. Campfires, smores, mmmm. Then drove up to WV to meet my sister halfway (she was coming from Columbus) to do the nephew handoff. Went for a short hike there, and turned around and came home. Good weekend! I took my Land Cruiser, not my F100, obviously (lol).

Old 07-19-2016, 01:52 PM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Wow, 3hrs is a bit much - I wouldn't worry about it; let's stick with this Forum "Tech Support" I think it'll do just fine.
We had my 9yr old nephew in town and we took him camping up in the Linville Falls/Gorge/Blueridge Parkway area (Bear Den Campground) -- had great weather and had some really fun hikes. Saw Crabtree Falls, went to Little Switzerland to have some "refreshments" on the terrace overlook at the resort there, did a short hike to Linville Falls. Campfires, smores, mmmm. Then drove up to WV to meet my sister halfway (she was coming from Columbus) to do the nephew handoff. Went for a short hike there, and turned around and came home. Good weekend! I took my Land Cruiser, not my F100, obviously (lol).
Camping huh, then maybe you can join us at our Fall Camping trip later this year. We've been once already this year, I think it was in April. We had a fandamntastic time. Plenty of food, "Refreshments" and fantastic company.

Turn those screws clockwise, just until they stop. Then back them out (Counter Clockwise) 1.5 to 2 complete turns. You may luck out and the carb is just set way, too rich.

If adjusting the carb takes care of the problem, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to go ahead and get a set of spark plugs in. Being that rich on the fuel mixture, it's going to fowl out spark plugs.

Better get back out and finish getting the yard mowed.

Y'all behave

Old 07-19-2016, 01:54 PM
Kristofferson
Freshman User
That is correct. Based on your pictures, I was fairly certain it was a 1406, but just wanted to verify. All the images I've provided are for a 1406 as well.

Since the left side is leaking more, the idle screw on that side is the one I'd really like to know. I expect it to be somewhere around 2-4 turns. Remember, snug, don't crank down on it when you check, that would blossom the hole at the end where the idle screw engages the plate.
Ok, to answer your question, 2 complete rotations/turns (both screws were the same, 2 turns each).

Also, someone pointed out that it looked like I was missing a hose on the right side vacuum/port, but upon further inspection, it looks like there was a rubber "cap" of some sort over it, and the rubber has completely deteriorated from age/heat. I'm thinking I need to get a new cap for that.

I'm going to go ahead and remove the carb and then this weekend see if I can do what the guy in the youtube video demonstrates. Wish me luck!

And if you had any comments to add about the current setting of "2 turns" on both screws, let me know.

Thanks all!

Old 07-19-2016, 01:58 PM
Kristofferson
Freshman User
Originally Posted by ubereal2
Camping huh, then maybe you can join us at our Fall Camping trip later this year. We've been once already this year, I think it was in April. We had a fandamntastic time. Plenty of food, "Refreshments" and fantastic company.

Turn those screws clockwise, just until they stop. Then back them out (Counter Clockwise) 1.5 to 2 complete turns. You may luck out and the carb is just set way, too rich.

Just saw you posted right before mine; Ok, so 2 turns should be fine then - thanks for that!

Old 07-19-2016, 03:35 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
That's what I was thinking as well. It was a last ditch try. When you go back on with the carb, set the idle screw's about 1.25 - 2 turns out, to start with. starting to far in is better than too rich. May even start with 1 turn each. You'll know if she isn't getting enough fuel. I've also found that carb on ebay for around 180, if you were looking.

I'm going to guess that it's about a 600 cfm carb, might be a bit much for that engine, but it should definately run it if set correctly. The linkage is usually the trickey piece to get back right. Just make sure you take lots of pictures of it.

Old 07-19-2016, 03:49 PM
Kristofferson
Freshman User
That's what I was thinking as well. It was a last ditch try. When you go back on with the carb, set the idle screw's about 1.25 - 2 turns out, to start with. starting to far in is better than too rich. May even start with 1 turn each. You'll know if she isn't getting enough fuel. I've also found that carb on ebay for around 180, if you were looking.

I'm going to guess that it's about a 600 cfm carb, might be a bit much for that engine, but it should definately run it if set correctly. The linkage is usually the trickey piece to get back right. Just make sure you take lots of pictures of it.
Will do -- I'll let you guys know how it goes!

Old 07-19-2016, 04:00 PM
Kristofferson
Freshman User
By the way, in the pic that I posted where I circled in red, the 2 areas where gas is flooding out... if I open that up and take out those pieces, clean, and put back in, is that the area that someone was talking about where "a float needle might be stuck"?
Of so, I'll just try that first before pulling the whole thing apart...

***UPDATE: nevermind, I found that the answer is no, those are the metering rods... *** (Did a google image search)

Old 07-19-2016, 04:38 PM
Benztechnc
FTE Chapter Leader
I love the view behind the Little Switzerland in. I took Mary up there last year in the fall. It was a bit cold. The only thing I could have wished for was permission to hit the junkyard. If you keep going further up the mountain from Little Switzerland, there's a Full Size Jeep Junkyard run by a guy named Jake (IFSJA.ORG user name Tanker). I've been wanting to go by there and see if he has an old wide fender 2 door Cherokee or another J truck, because I need a new toy, I don't have enough yet. (just don't ask Mary if I do!!!)

But we did get in a Hike in that area, and the restaurant at the Inn is amazingly good, got to get back there for their breakfast again. They have a hollandaise sauce that can not be touched.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:59 AM
Kristofferson
Freshman User
Ok, so I took the carb off last night and just sprayed carb cleaner all around/in it, took out the metering rods and springs, sprayed them good. Pretty much just sprayed the heck out of everything -- sure looks shiny now (ha ha). I adjusted the electric choke as the Edelbrock video said, or as best as I could tell. Turned both idle mixture screws all the way in and then back out 1.5 full turns. Put it back on, turned the key and it fired up, and no more gas flooding out of the sides! It was idling pretty low, but already sounded much better. I turned the idle speed screw in a few turns to bring the idle up and it sounds even better -- pretty smooth. However, when I put my foot on the gas pedal, it won't "rev up" but instead the engine immediately quits/stalls out. I tried making adjustments to the idle mixture screws (from 1.5 to 1 turn, and then up to 2 turns, where it is now), but doesn't solve it the pressing the gas pedal/stalling out issue. Any suggestions?
I was wondering about the electric choke, as that's something I adjusted when I had the carb off, and maybe I have it set too rich and need to lean it up some?
Thanks all!

Old 07-20-2016, 07:34 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
If you've reved the engine up a couple of times, that choke plate should have opened up. On a cold morning that nearly closed choke plate makes the engine run at a higher RPM, until you make it quick by one short, fast tap on the gas pedal.

I'm wondering if you have a vacuum leak. Do you have all of the hoses in the same place

Old 07-20-2016, 07:51 AM
fuzzy1626
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
With the engine not running, look to see if fuel squirts into the carb when you pull on the linkage. (or have someone push the gas pedal down).I would pull the metering rods again and make sure their clean.

Quick Reply: Charlotte area, mechanic referral request