Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Moser

'78 F150 Ranger Lariat (restoration???)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 10:04 AM
RileyCarroll
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ported vacuum switch, you might have to get that part online, I'm not sure if o'reilly sells them. Did it run yesterday?

Old 08-01-2016, 06:23 PM
Terrys67
Senior User
If you wind up having to get a replacement starter, I would suggest finding a place that rebuilds starters. I have had problems getting replacement starters from part stores as most send them down to Mexico and have them rebuilt. Quality tends to be poor in my experience.

I have a soft spot for green trucks and if I was going back in time, the color combo would be on my list. Seeing that you are new to restoration, you are going about it the right way doing small steps at a time and learning about each piece as you go. I think one of the greatest things about being a gear head is building your own ride.

You will get to experience eventually when you are going down the road and knowing that all the components on your truck are working cause of what you have done. Great work on what you have done. Looking forward to your build.

Old 08-03-2016, 08:11 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Unfortunately did not get a chance to start it, or attempt to start it, after fuel pump install, partly because of noticing the broken ported vacuum switch (Thanks Riley), and partly because I promised my boys a fun couple days out in the mountains. Plan to check the hose count and thread type for the pvs and order a replacement to install this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll get it running this weekend.

As for the starter, if it ends up needing replacement, I'll look into doing it myself or finding a reputable local shop that can do the rebuild.

Old 08-04-2016, 10:50 PM
RileyCarroll
Senior User
Chances are, you are going to have to go with LMC on the switch. I can never find emissions parts from anywhere else. I would avoid them when you can, they are hit or miss on online orders. That's mainly with bigger parts though, I have never had a problem with small stuff. Macs might have them, but Dennis carpenter and npd do not

Old 08-05-2016, 12:06 AM
quest4reds
Senior User
PVS

Originally Posted by RileyCarroll
Chances are, you are going to have to go with LMC on the switch. I can never find emissions parts from anywhere else. I would avoid them when you can, they are hit or miss on online orders. That's mainly with bigger parts though, I have never had a problem with small stuff. Macs might have them, but Dennis carpenter and npd do not
Oreilly's has them if you can believe that. I told the guy I wasn't sure about the threads yet so he is having 3 options delivered to the store near me tomorrow so I can go grab the one I need once I can remove the one that I have.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:59 AM
RileyCarroll
Senior User
I couldn't find it on their website, I guess I overlooked it. That's awesome, It's always better to see them in person

Old 08-06-2016, 01:50 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Installed PVS and bled rear brake lines today but still cannot get it started. Starter keeps disengaging and spinning not cranking the motor over. Starter tested good 3 times in a row at O'reilly's.

Could this be a starter alignment problem? Could it be some other electrical problem that I haven't already addressed?

Old 08-06-2016, 03:01 PM
DB429SCJ
Laughing Gas
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts
Sounds like a bad starter drive. Was a very common problem with Ford starters. Not that difficult to change.

Old 08-06-2016, 11:17 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Originally Posted by DB429SCJ
Sounds like a bad starter drive. Was a very common problem with Ford starters. Not that difficult to change.
Most likely the next step I'm going to take. Brother in law mentioned something about the Bendix working till a certain speed then it disengages so if the components are worn it may be dropping prematurely.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:58 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
So I replaced the starter today, appears that was the problem all along. Was resistant to replace it since it tested good, but that was not under any type of load so not an entirely accurate test.

After running the new starter cranking the engine for a while, checking to see if we were getting fuel to the carb after new fuel pump install, I GOT IT RUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!

I AM SO EXCITED, I ACTUALLY GOT TO DRIVE MY TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So the motor sounds great, may be a worn bearing or something but in my opinion she sounds great! Drove it down the street and back to check out transmission and gauges, and the only thing that really needs to be done is fuel tank replace and brakes. The lights even work!! Turn signals don't blink at the same rate, but they blink, horn works, headlights work, not blowing any smoke or hearing any ticking, maybe a slight exhaust leak perhaps, but she runs and drives and I still have an ear to ear grin!

Old 08-07-2016, 05:00 PM
mountain dewd
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Congrats man!! It's a great feeling.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:48 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Originally Posted by mountain dewd
Congrats man!! It's a great feeling.
I've had a permanent grin on my face since she fired up and stayed running. Then got to take her for a drive around the neighborhood to see how the it drove.

So now the plan is to tune it up so she purrs like a kitten, then start restoring drive train, chassis, suspension, get the old girl some new shoes, interior, and finally exterior.

Old 08-07-2016, 05:54 PM
RileyCarroll
Senior User
Congratulations!!!!!! Happy to hear it!!!!! That's always the best feeling after putting in all that work and finally getting to hear it purr. Oh yeah, and sorry about giving you the runaround I the starter, should've just told you to replace that first

Old 08-07-2016, 09:42 PM
Pgh Rebel
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm subscribing to this thread. I love to read about guys doing their first restoration. It looks like you got a great truck to start with here Matt.
Congratulations on getting her running! I'm glad to her that it was just the bad starter after all. Congratulations on being able to drive it around the block, too. That's a great feeling! I look forward to seeing what you can do with her. It seems like she's been pretty willing and cooperative for you so far. My one word of advice would be, don't lose hope and don't give up. Good luck man!
I once tried to restore an old 1970 Dodge truck many years ago. (I was young and dumb!) Darn thing fought me at every turn, and took every penny I had. I finally gave up and sold it in disgust after my DD broke down and took what little money I did have left! Next resto project I do I'm going , can at least get parts for those!

Old 08-07-2016, 10:10 PM
quest4reds
Senior User
Better lucky than good

Originally Posted by Pgh Rebel
I'm subscribing to this thread. I love to read about guys doing their first restoration. It looks like you got a great truck to start with here Matt.
Congratulations on getting her running! I'm glad to her that it was just the bad starter after all. Congratulations on being able to drive it around the block, too. That's a great feeling! I look forward to seeing what you can do with her. It seems like she's been pretty willing and cooperative for you so far. My one word of advice would be, don't lose hope and don't give up. Good luck man!
I once tried to restore an old 1970 Dodge truck many years ago. (I was young and dumb!) Darn thing fought me at every turn, and took every penny I had. I finally gave up and sold it in disgust after my DD broke down and took what little money I did have left! Next resto project I do I'm going , can at least get parts for those!
Thanks man, I am feeling lucky now that I have it running and driving. I was getting a bit frustrated there for a minute when I kept replacing parts and not getting results. Glad it turned out to be the starter and not some missing teeth off the flywheel we failed to catch when we checked it a couple weeks ago.

Sorry to hear about your Dodge project, but maybe it was for the better, can't imagine something so difficult to work with would ever be that reliable. And on the bright side, that event brought you to like Ford and to the FTE community

Quick Reply: '78 F150 Ranger Lariat (restoration???)