1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just need to vent and possibly get opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 08:37 AM
Slowpoke Slim
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
It's been a long time since I swam in the cesspool that is Ebay. However, unless things have slipped even farther into the mire, it is against their ToS to for buyers and sellers to make contact outside of the bidding process to make sales outside of Ebay.

So basically if either the buyer or the seller tries to sell on the side, they can be booted from Ebay. So it would not be in the OP's best interest to contact Ebay over this.

Personally, I would have already been on a plane to the selling dealer, and received a full refund in person.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:51 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 981 Likes on 755 Posts
tell him to send you a video of the truck operating...runiing...driving around a paring lot...dash to see if there are any codes..etc

my bet is that the truck is in the shop getting repaired.

I noticed when I went truck shopping last year...if I unexpectedly point to a 6.0 to test drive....the dealership would make up excuses why I could not test drive it.

but...if I told them in advance ...they would have it in the front parking lot warmed up waiting for me.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:52 AM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 939 Likes on 578 Posts
Originally Posted by Slowpoke Slim
It's been a long time since I swam in the cesspool that is Ebay. However, unless things have slipped even farther into the mire, it is against their ToS to for buyers and sellers to make contact outside of the bidding process to make sales outside of Ebay.

So basically if either the buyer or the seller tries to sell on the side, they can be booted from Ebay. So it would not be in the OP's best interest to contact Ebay over this.

Personally, I would have already been on a plane to the selling dealer, and received a full refund in person.
I'm not sure of what happens if the auction has ended and then the 2 parties get together other than you are well outside the protections of ebay and PayPal and have no standing to complain to them.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:01 AM
I.B. Washincars
Laughing Gas
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
With PayPal you should be able to do a chargeback for item not received. It is my understanding that they almost always side with the buyer if there is not proof of delivery. That's why you should never use PayPal when you meet someone in person, cash only in that scenario.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:45 AM
GN1220
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I was following the auction, asked some questions, and the auctuon ended with a no sale. I contacted the seller asking what it would take to buy the truck and we worked out a deal. I arranged financing through my local credit union, they emailed me all of the paperwork to sign and were to Fedex all of the original paperwork. Still no original paperwork and no truck but now the credit union is involved and they are not happy. I will be contacting the Seattle Police Dept today and requesting a full refund tomorrow. By the way, they have 3 vehicles on ebay right now.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:36 PM
Poncho450
Lead Driver
Received 939 Likes on 578 Posts
Originally Posted by GN1220
I was following the auction, asked some questions, and the auctuon ended with a no sale. I contacted the seller asking what it would take to buy the truck and we worked out a deal. I arranged financing through my local credit union, they emailed me all of the paperwork to sign and were to Fedex all of the original paperwork. Still no original paperwork and no truck but now the credit union is involved and they are not happy. I will be contacting the Seattle Police Dept today and requesting a full refund tomorrow. By the way, they have 3 vehicles on ebay right now.
Every state works differently, but I would also be contacting the Washington state AG. In my state, the DMV licenses auto dealers and repair shops and complaints can be filed there. I've had success getting a full refund from a dealer for a repair that took about $500 of my money but did not fix a broken seat heater. After some questioning from DMV, service manager contacted me and asked what they could do to make it right. I said full refund because I spent $500 and the only thing warming the seat was my butt at that point. They agreed and sent me a check to make the problem go away.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:08 AM
Macrosill
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeez. What a nightmare. Sorry to hear you are goin through so much trouble.

I bought my truck from a seller that had it on Ebay. We did the transaction off of ebay. I had the seller arrange shipping this way they were fully responsible until the truck showed up at my door. It took about 7 days after the truck was picked up until it was dropped off at my house, TX to NY. The truck was picked up a couple days after the certified check from the credit union was delivered.

I had a super smooth transaction and am very happy with the truck and seller. I would buy from them again in a heart beat. very honest and great communications.

I was very nervous over the whole deal but I think I was very lucky for my first online car purchase from so far away.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:26 AM
GN1220
More Turbo
They have yet to hear anything official from my attorney so as of now it is only me talking about speaking to him. On a positive note I received a tracking number yesterday for an envelope that is supposed to contain my title and paper work. Also was contacted saying the shipper left me several messages only to discover they had the wrong phone number. B.S.? Who knows at this point but if I do receive the title that should be a good sign. Funny how all this took place not an hour after I sent an email demanding a full refund.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:06 PM
GN1220
More Turbo
Received the title and all paperwork in the mail today. Also spoke with the shipping company who gave me the number of the actual driver. I spoke with him and he said he expected to get the truck Friday and be in Kansas City Monday or Tuesday, depending on pick ups and deliveries. Finally getting some communication, which is all I asked for, and expected, from the beginning.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:54 PM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Looks like you will have a story to tell about this truck. I hope it all works out. I've purchased and sold a few vehicles on eBay. The seller could have sent you a second chance offer and done the whole thing through eBay if he wanted. Sellers are motivated to sell outside of the site because it saves them the eBay sales charge and the worry of the buyer protection issues. You'll have to post some pictures when you get the truck.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:53 AM
redford
Received 1,559 Likes on 908 Posts
Next time...........

There are escrow services specifically designed for situations like this. You give your money to the escrow service, they hold it until you get the vehicle and are satisfied it is in the condition you expected. The seller gets no money until you have a vehicle. Like anything these days, do your homework. There are good and bad escrow agencies.

https://www.carchex.com/research-cen...row-explained/

Old 07-21-2016, 04:54 AM
redford
Received 1,559 Likes on 908 Posts
Next time...........

There are escrow services specifically designed for situations like this. You give your money to the escrow service, they hold it until you get the vehicle and are satisfied it is in the condition you expected. The seller gets no money until you have a vehicle. Like anything these days, do your homework. There are good and bad escrow agencies.

https://www.carchex.com/research-cen...row-explained/

Old 07-21-2016, 04:04 PM
GN1220
More Turbo
I don't think there will be a next time. I've pushed my luck as far as I want. My second Roadmaster Wagon came from New York. I bought it from a wagon dealer on one of the forums I frequent. Flew out there, checked it out, left at 2:30 in the afternoon and rolled into Kansas City at 10 the next morning. Wagon number 4, my current wagon , came from Atlanta. We just happened to have a trip to Atlanta planned to see family and I found this car. Checked it out, stayed another day and drove home. Now this truck situation...I think I better stick to local buys from now on.