1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

I'm going to do a manual swap, few last questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 02:07 PM
Ryan313
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to do a manual swap, few last questions.

I am pretty sure that the tranny in my early 99 F450 is on its way out. I have been wanting to do a manual swap for a while and here is my excuse. I have been researching the swap for the last year or so, and have most questions answered but I have some I couldn't find answers for.

First off, I am going to be using a ZF5 not a ZF6. The E99 came with a 5 speed, the swap is much easier, and the 5 speeds are a dime a dozen... Unlike the 6 speeds.

I am looking at a L99 with a ZF6 for a parts truck. I would use the 6 speed, but it is 2 wheel drive. I have been looking for a 4x4 ZF6 for a year and haven't found any that aren't gold plated. Majority of the parts should still work.

Here is what I have gathered so far.

-The T-case will bolt to the new manual tranny. I have a BW 4407.

- The front driveshaft I am not sure if it will work, it's a slip joint so it may slide together the 1 inch I will need with the shorter trans.

-The rear driveshaft will be 1 inch too short, and I can simply put a spacer plate between the yoke and the transfer case.

-Thebell housing bolts directly to the auto spacer plate.

-Remove the flexplate and adapter, then the flywheel will bolt to the engine without a problem.

-Brake and clutch pedals from the donar will bolt into my truck.

-I need the master cylinder from the donar truck, and a slave for a ZF5.

-Ican use the ZF6 shifter, and boot for the ZF5.

-The tranny mount from the auto can by used, but not the crossmember. I am a welder by trade so I can make up a new crossmember without an issue.

Now for the questions:

-I know I can use the auto PCM if I jump a couple wires; however, I read that the throttle may be very touchy. I can't see why the 6 speed PCM wouldn't work for the 5 speed. How would it know that there is one less gear in the tranny?

-The 6 speed is a very tall tranny, and I would have to alter the tunnel in the cab for it to clear. Looking at pictures of the auto and 5 speed they don't look much different in height. Will I have to modify the floor to clear?

I am sure I have forgotten things; however, it is a start. If anybody can answer my questions, or correct something I am wrong about I would appreciate it very much. Thanks! I will keep a build thread going when this takes off.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:27 PM
Ryan313
Senior User
Well I bought the parts truck. I am going to pick it up Saturday. Hopefully on Sunday I can start to rip it apart and separate the parts I need/ want.

Here it is, on the left is my F450 getting the manual, on the right is the parts truck.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:19 PM
cookie88
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've never noticed my transmission tunnel being any taller than an auto truck's, but I guess it could be.

I also think the 6 speed PCM should run fine with a 5 speed.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:22 PM
Ryan313
Senior User
Originally Posted by cookie88
I've never noticed my transmission tunnel being any taller than an auto truck's, but I guess it could be.

I also think the 6 speed PCM should run fine with a 5 speed.
Which transmission do you have?

Old 07-14-2016, 10:38 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
For the record, E99's came with the 6 speed. I bought mine new.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:07 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Perhaps the confusion comes from some people not counting the Low gear as a gear? I know I refer to the true first gear as low or "granny gear", and I refer to 1st gear at what is technically 2nd. Unless loaded heavy most people don't regularly use the low gear.

To the OP, do yourself a favor and put in the extra effort/money to do a ZF6 now, or you'll just spend more later on multiple replacements of the ZF5; especially in an F450, that is presumably going to work hard.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:10 PM
carguy3j
Elder User
What's wrong with the "parts" truck? If its a running/driving truck, or an easy fix, you might be better off selling whole, and putting the money towards just buying the parts you need. If you were cutting up a worn out gas truck, for body parts, etc..., I'd say go for it. But, a running/driving 7.3L/6spd truck is worth far more alive, then dead.

Old 07-14-2016, 03:52 PM
Ryan313
Senior User
Yes I come across confusion often about 1st and low. I usually call low 1st, then call 1st gear 2nd and so on.

I thought I had come across a few examples of E99 super duties with a zf5, maybe not. I'll see if I can find them. I'm not saying you're wrong... If you have an e99 with a zf6 that you bought new how could I? Haha

As for flipping the truck, it crossed my mind; however, the interior is behind shot, the bed rail are rotted out, the cab is in good shape rust wise but it has quite a few dents. Also, the oil pan is rotted out. I am going to put a new pan on it for when I sell the engine. Who knows, maybe after I get it home and start to do more with it I'll change my mind.

How much weaker is the zf5? I have tea the S5-42 has issues with the syncros wearing out. I have read that the S5-47 is much better though. Still should I stay away from it?

Old 07-14-2016, 09:59 PM
Dirtscooter250
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ryan313
Yes I come across confusion often about 1st and low. I usually call low 1st, then call 1st gear 2nd and so on.

I thought I had come across a few examples of E99 super duties with a zf5, maybe not. I'll see if I can find them. I'm not saying you're wrong... If you have an e99 with a zf6 that you bought new how could I? Haha

As for flipping the truck, it crossed my mind; however, the interior is behind shot, the bed rail are rotted out, the cab is in good shape rust wise but it has quite a few dents. Also, the oil pan is rotted out. I am going to put a new pan on it for when I sell the engine. Who knows, maybe after I get it home and start to do more with it I'll change my mind.

How much weaker is the zf5? I have tea the S5-42 has issues with the syncros wearing out. I have read that the S5-47 is much better though. Still should I stay away from it?
The 47 is better than the 42 but I would still stay with a zf6-650. The zf6 is quite a bit taller than the zf5 so floor modifications are mandatory just so you know. The zf6-650 is rated at over 500ftlbs input torque vs 420 and 470 for the zf5s.

The early super duties came with the option of 5 or 6spd manuals

Old 07-15-2016, 04:22 AM
Bill Kay
More Turbo
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
ZF6 also has a pump and an oil cooler where the ZF5 does not.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:36 AM
carguy3j
Elder User
Originally Posted by carguy3j
Perhaps the confusion comes from some people not counting the Low gear as a gear? I know I refer to the true first gear as low or "granny gear", and I refer to 1st gear at what is technically 2nd. Unless loaded heavy most people don't regularly use the low gear.
I just happened to come across this pic of a stock ZF6 shift ****.

Stock Shift ****

Old 07-17-2016, 11:24 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
Yep. 6 forward speeds. If one wants to discuss behavior or characteristics, it's best to refer to them as "L" "3" and so on.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:15 PM
Ryan313
Senior User
I picked the truck up, and after a couple more little cruises... I would feel pretty good about parting out this great running and driving truck if it wasn't for the rot in the frame that I found.

The company I am getting the tranny from does not sell it with the shift tower, should I just get a short shift kit instead? Is that mod worth it?

Old 07-18-2016, 09:57 PM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I picked the truck up, and after a couple more little cruises... I would feel pretty good about parting out this great running and driving truck if it wasn't for the rot in the frame that I found.

The company I am getting the tranny from does not sell it with the shift tower, should I just get a short shift kit instead? Is that mod worth it?
Depends on the short shift handle and desired options, short shifters usually only change the pivot point of the shift lever, so it's up to you and what you want.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:55 PM
timmyboy76
Lead Driver
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts
E99.........

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: I'm going to do a manual swap, few last questions.