Sponsored by: Moser

Bronco Graveyard lift kit..opinions??

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Scotty150custom
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bronco Graveyard lift kit..opinions??

Question for you guru's lol. Im debating putting a 4inch lift on the Ol' ox so ive been doing a lot of searching on old posts and images soo...it seems no one uses or suggest someone else kits from BG and i was wondering why?

So 1. has anyone used his kits or have experience with them and opinion about them.

2. When reading the description on his product he recommends that drive shafts might have to be lengthen for a 4 inch lift! Is this just a "disclaimer" or has anyone had to lengthen their drive shaft with a 4 inch lift?(in general )

Thanks guys for advice and knowledge as always

Old 07-12-2016, 07:59 PM
Scotty150custom
Junior User
Bump??....anybody?

Old 07-12-2016, 08:28 PM
J ballan
Fleet Mechanic
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I haven't used any of they're lifts but if I remember right they use Deaver springs which are supposed to be the sheet. And I would be supprised if you need to lengthen your drive shafts for a 4" lift but I'm sure somebody will chime in soon.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:53 AM
scott79
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I don't know anything about their lifts BUT I lifted my 79 F150 4x4 about 20yrs ago with a skyjacker 4" (which really was about 3.5" lift) and didn't have to lengthen my drive-shafts. I also run 33" BFG's

Name:  IMAG0999_zps0f42c573.jpg
Views: 3056
Size:  213.9 KB

Name:  DSC_0024.jpg
Views: 2289
Size:  82.5 KB

Old 07-13-2016, 09:14 AM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
A 4-inch lift on my 73 on 35s... stock driveshaft.

I do recommend a longer rear brake hose or relocate its mounting bracket to provide slack.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:25 PM
Scotty150custom
Junior User
Gorgeous truck there scott!!!

Thanks guys...here is where my problem (psychologically) stems from on the drive shaft questiom.

I dont know if you can tell in this picture, but the front axle seems to be pushed forward!?...

When i bought the truck i was told it had a 3inch lift. Measurments are

Rear blocks are 3 inch exact, front springs are 16.5 inch compressed.

Is the front axle okay to be at that angel? Pointing downward. And im just being paranoid?

Or is it just some thrown together job from the PO and its an easy fix?

Or is there something more...."sinester" going on here haha....also, the truck has a 351 windsor in it, i dont know if that would account for anything.

Thanks again fellas!

Old 07-13-2016, 05:41 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Whoa....

My 73 wears RA drop brackets and 2° C-bushings.. the pinion centerline is below the driveshaft....

Does your rig have RA drop brackets? What about caster-corrected C-bushings? Maybe your PO simply installed taller springs without the other required/recommended parts to address the altered steering geometry.

Old 07-13-2016, 05:42 PM
SlikWillie
Cargo Master
Received 587 Likes on 347 Posts
Looks like the PO installed the 7 degree axle bushings instead of the 4 degree for the 4" lift. I bought and installed the JBG 4" lift and have had no problems with it at all. I also run 33" tires. If you are going to stick with a 4" lift, I would recommend getting a set of 4 degree bushings and replacing the old ones on your truck. That way you know what you have. I did not have to lengthen my drive lines either. As mentioned, longer brake lines will be a great idea.

Old 07-13-2016, 06:12 PM
Scotty150custom
Junior User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Whoa....

My 73 wears RA drop brackets and 2° C-bushings.. the pinion centerline is below the driveshaft....

Does your rig have RA drop brackets? What about caster-corrected C-bushings? Maybe your PO simply installed taller springs without the other required/recommended parts to address the altered steering geometry.

Thats exactly what i was thinking HIO!!! I think they just installed the 2" lift springs and called it a day with out the correct c bushings....it was used as a farm truck soo

Mr. Slik...it's not a 4 inch ita a 3inch i am contemplating the 4 inch

Either way that goes back to the question on BG because ive been eye balling them and i know he knows his stuff. I hope. But thats my plan to "redo" the front completely just for sake of heartache. Thanks guys a ton!!!

Old 07-13-2016, 06:49 PM
Scotty150custom
Junior User
Also HIO... to answer your knowledge im pretty sure my rig does not have drop brackets

Old 07-13-2016, 06:59 PM
orangeford
Laughing Gas
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I have a 4" JBG lift. I bought the super deluxe kit with superlift shocks around 2004. I did not have to lengthen driveshafts. All the parts except the bushings were in superlift packaging or had superlift stickers on them. The bushings were energy suspension if I recall correctly.

My front springs are super stiff. I don't know if it is because I have dual shocks and a sway bar or if its the lift springs but it is noticeably stiffer than most 70s trucks I have rode in including f250s.

I ran 33s forever even before the lift and went to 35s this last time. I hate how much it effects the acceleration but don't want to change gears. I will probably go back to 33s and debating on taking the lift off.

Old 07-13-2016, 07:04 PM
tabascom16
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That angle on the axle is ridiculously off. I think the PO did get the offset bushings for the radius arms, but put them on backwards. So instead of dropping it 4 or 7 degrees, it raised it an additional 4 to 7 degrees. You could try and take the bushing out, rearrange them, and see if it corrects the issue.

Originally Posted by Scotty150custom
Gorgeous truck there scott!!!

Thanks guys...here is where my problem (psychologically) stems from on the drive shaft questiom.

I dont know if you can tell in this picture, but the front axle seems to be pushed forward!?...

When i bought the truck i was told it had a 3inch lift. Measurments are

Rear blocks are 3 inch exact, front springs are 16.5 inch compressed.

Is the front axle okay to be at that angel? Pointing downward. And im just being paranoid?

Or is it just some thrown together job from the PO and its an easy fix?

Or is there something more...."sinester" going on here haha....also, the truck has a 351 windsor in it, i dont know if that would account for anything.

Thanks again fellas!

Old 07-14-2016, 08:12 AM
BA63
Senior User
I put a 4" lift on my 76 during the resto. Front axle looked just like that!...I used the 4 degree bushings just like i was supposed too. No drive shaft length modification. I took it to have it aligned and was told I had too much positive Castor. This would cause my truck to "dart" a little on the road but with power steering it may not be much of a issue. I am running 35" tires on my truck.

The solution for me and was recommended by the alignment shop was to buy Radial Arm drop brackets. They are bolt on, except on a 76 you have to drill the frame rivets on the RA mounts. For a 77 you do not, complete bolt up. Now my truck drives and handles great!

If your truck has power steering and your truck is not darting on the road, then the axle angle just looks a little...well weird but it hurts nothing. I, like you possibly was worried about the u-joint angle and wear. The bushings most likely will not give you what your looking for.

Attachment 288755
Attachment 288782

Old 07-14-2016, 08:34 AM
somethingclever
Cargo Master
Received 188 Likes on 135 Posts
Holy king pin inclination Batman!!

Old 07-14-2016, 08:39 AM
Scotty150custom
Junior User
Originally Posted by Scotty150custom
Also HIO... to answer your knowledge im pretty sure my rig does not have drop brackets
Wow i really need to preview my post before submitting lol sorry guys

BA63... thank you for your chime! When i noticed the angle i indeed was worried about the stress it might be putting on the u joints.

The truck is not ps..it is manual steering..lucky me haha. I might go with Bronco Graveyard 2 inch lift kit that comes with the bushings and see what i got. At worst i might look into the drop brackets....one thing i hate about these old trucks is trying to run around and figure out what the OP did wrong in order to move forward to fix it right!!

To bad its not as simple as taking the radius arms off and just turning the axle lol

Thanks again to all you guys!!!

Quick Reply: Bronco Graveyard lift kit..opinions??