1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

This cant be good..

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 04:15 AM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My truck has been having several issues since I bought it. None that affect drivability, but legally, and comfort wise, it's not good. The truck has suffer from vacuum problems, a p1401 (which I believe is a failed emissions component), a removed CEL bulb from the previous owner due to it being lit, and exhaust deterioration which has resulted in me removing it (straight pipes!). Unfortunately, after a year of ownership, and only a 1/4 year of driving it, I failed to ensure it was registered and would pass emissions where I am currently residing and driving it. This resulted in me getting stopped and cited for expired registration tonight. This now posses a big issue to me as I am pretty confident, even with the muffler repaired and installed (dang it!), the truck won't pass emissions. I am currently on a tight budget and spending hundreds of dollars on this truck to remedy these issues is not only a poor investment considering it's value and purchased price, but also, not entirely feasible. From what I'm expecting, the truck will need a complete vacuum system overhaul, a sensor or something replaced to solve the P1401, a CEL bulb, a muffler repair and install, and an inspection to, render it legal. And I have 30 days to do so... I need advice on what all should be done to ensure it passes emissions. Also, I don't have even a week of free time within these 30 days to handle these problems with my own two hands, so possible quotes would be a great help. Man....

Old 07-11-2016, 09:45 AM
spooktn
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A pressure test needs to be done on your vacuum lines and components,,,,, if you dont have a vacuum guage you can try the cheap cigar test,,,, simple light cigar and blow smoke into different vacuum lines on non running truck and watch for leaks,,, hunt down (smoke) leak and repair rotted hose or whatever,,, as far as exhaust goes a muffler shop is about all you can do there unless you have the equipment to do it yourself ,,, the p1401 is your DPFE sensor,,, it is part of the EGR system ( Exhaust Gas Reburn) and its not that expensive and was easy to get to on my 3.0 ,,,,, there are two vacuums on the DPFE probally where your leak is and why your getting the P1401 code

Old 07-11-2016, 09:54 AM
spooktn
More Turbo
Oh and bad vacuum or bad DPFE ( Delta Pressure Feedback) sensor will effect you gas mileage ,,,, it measures the gas and air fumes from the upstream and downstream exhaust and sends info to the computer that then adjusts a valve to make fuel mixture or pressure adjustments ,,, so that would be my first place to start

Old 07-11-2016, 10:14 AM
spooktn
More Turbo
If you dont want to try the cigar test you can sometimes find the leaks with truck running and spraying around the vacuums lines and components with a can of brake cleaner,,,, you will hear a change in idle RPM'S when you spray a leaky place you found it. Vacuum lines are cheap and easy to find,,,,,, I got a cheap new DPFE sensor ( after market) on EBAY but I would spend a few bucks more and get a Ford Motorcraft one if you have the cash,,, the non working CEL could be a bad or removed bulb ,,, mine is not working either but I watched a youtube video on removing and replacing it and it just not worth the time and trouble to me,,,, I dont need a light to tell me I have a problem,,, every time I change my oil I scan it for codes just to be sure,,, scanning is just part of my regular maintance now and lots easier than changing the bulb,,, hope this helps

Old 07-12-2016, 10:23 AM
spooktn
More Turbo
I was the first to post on this and did 3 times,,, now there are 138 views and no more posts,,,, hhmmmmmm no one added or disputed my post so I must have gave pretty good advice ,,, anyone else want to chime in here,,,,, Pawpaw ,, Tomw ,,, anyone,,, I know I had to miss something LOL

Old 07-13-2016, 08:57 AM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
I've got some time off the next 2 days. I'm gonna try to fix everything during them and get this thing inspected. These trucks are a blessing with all their cheap parts. Just wish I didn't have so much todo to it. Didn't really want a project car for a daily but it's all I've got right now. The sad thing is I'll be taking it back to Texas next month, at least it'll be ready for work out there when I get there.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:18 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by spooktn
I was the first to post on this and did 3 times,,, now there are 138 views and no more posts,,,, hhmmmmmm no one added or disputed my post so I must have gave pretty good advice ,,, anyone else want to chime in here,,,,, Pawpaw ,, Tomw ,,, anyone,,, I know I had to miss something LOL
This doesn't sound just right, but we need the OP to blow some smoke & tell us what's seen!!!
Might also be helpful to know what year, model, engine, tranny, mileage on this puppy & the maintenance/repair history.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Originally Posted by pawpaw
This doesn't sound just right, but we need the OP to blow some smoke & tell us what's seen!!! Might also be helpful to know what year, model, engine, tranny, mileage on this puppy & the maintenance/repair history.
Sorry. It's a 99 2.5 auto. I know it's not working right because I can't even get the are to recirculate. Not sure if this is related to the vacuum or not, but when I apply O/D off or 2 1 gears, it only applies the trans brake intermittently for a few seconds.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:06 AM
pawpaw
Sounds like you have more than one problem, so focus on the one you have a trouble code clue for, the P1401 = DPFE circuit high input. As been suggested, it could be the DPFE sensor, corrupt voltage to it, leaking vacuum hose between the DPFE sensor & the intake manifold, dry rotted, leaking, loose fitting high temp silicone exhaust hose that runs from the port fitting below the EGR valve up to the DPFE sensor. So you need to perform some line inspections, blow some smoke & look for leaks as has been suggested, measure some voltage diagnostic tests to try & determine what's wrong there, then move on to the other problems.
The CEL lamp will likely have to be replaced before it'll pass emissions inspection.
There are links in the Tech Info thread atop the forum index page, that can help with doing all this.
If your having problems with the heater/AC controls, it could be a vacuum leak in its controls, or the common broken blend door actuator.
More thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:07 AM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Originally Posted by pawpaw
Sounds like you have more than one problem, so focus on the one you have a trouble code clue for, the P1401 = DPFE circuit high input. As been suggested, it could be the DPFE sensor, corrupt voltage to it, leaking vacuum hose between the DPFE sensor & the intake manifold, dry rotted, leaking, loose fitting high temp silicone exhaust hose that runs from the port fitting below the EGR valve up to the DPFE sensor. So you need to perform some line inspections, blow some smoke & look for leaks as has been suggested, measure some voltage diagnostic tests to try & determine what's wrong there, then move on to the other problems. The CEL lamp will likely have to be replaced before it'll pass emissions inspection. There are links in the Tech Info thread atop the forum index page, that can help with doing all this. If your having problems with the heater/AC controls, it could be a vacuum leak in its controls, or the common broken blend door actuator. More thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

Thats a lot of possible problems for one code. I've got 3 weeks to solve this, and I sure hope I can, or I won't be driving ranger anymore. Mechanically it's been a good truck, but she's asking for more and more each day.

I'll give these a look.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:47 AM
pawpaw
Not too many things to check/test, to avoid throwing the more expensive DPFE sensor at the problem, only to find it may be a less expensive leaking vacuum hose, or dry rotted, or carbon plugged high temp DPFE exhaust gas feedback hose. or clogged port orifice it plugs into below the EGR valve, all of which are common problem parts in that system, along with the DPFE sensor.

Come by a Swisher Sweet cigar & begin blowing smoke into the suspect lines & watch for smoke leaks isn't hard & it can save us a good bit of our gold if the problem is just a loose or faulty hose.

The smoke test works for leaking vacuum lines, or actuators to the in cabin AC/Heater/Vent/Temp vacuum controls if they're leaking vacuum.

Just get started & you may be pleasantly surprised how easy it is to trouble shoot some things if we just pre think the trouble shoot some.

Let us know how your trouble shoot goes.

Old 07-20-2016, 10:03 AM
spooktn
More Turbo
I think thats what I told him to do Pawpaw,,, cheap cigar test is easy and low budget,,,, and a good place to start,,,, hhhmmmmmm seems like I said that too,,, but it is nice to hear you give the same advice,,, guess I was giving good advice if you agree with me,,,, keep up the good work Pawpaw

Old 07-20-2016, 12:08 PM
pawpaw
Yup, you did good, not trying to steal your thunder, just a mimic of what you had suggested as noted above, as sometimes it's motivational if more than one suggests doing something.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:02 PM
spooktn
More Turbo
Yup I agree with you and if you get a chance double check my post on the PO133 and PO155 do i report it stolen and see what I messed up there LOL,,, always like to read your and Tomw post,,, seems like you two and a few more on here have forgot more than I will ever learn,,, like I said keep up the good work Pawpaw and thanks again for all the help and advice you have gave me

Old 08-09-2016, 03:15 PM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Truck is at the dealer getting worked on. Took it to get it inspected last week and it failed everything. Gotta reinspect it tomorrow. If it fails, new truck. This truck was the exact opposite of what I was hoping for. Instead of being cheap and reliable, it's been poor on gas (150-200 miles a tank), and in the shop every month since I had it, with a laundry list of things still needing work. Wish me luck.

Quick Reply: This cant be good..