6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Stall with no start while towing camper

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2016, 05:40 PM
carnochanm
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Left Thursday afternoon for a long weekend camping and broke down 15 miles from home. Truck stalled and would not start again. Had it towed home and borrowed a friends truck to still go camping. I scoured and searched a lot over the long weekend trying to figure things out.

The truck is a 2003 Excursion with a 2005 motor. It has been studded and EGR deleted. Truck has 155,000 and not 100% sure on the motor. All oil and fuel filters have been replaced within the last 3000 miles using the Ford Motorcraft brand filters. Is running a SCT Tuner and was running the towing tune at the time. Like a dummy I didnt have my tablet with the Torque Pro app running at the time but all factory gauges looked fine. No running problems prior to this stall.

I did a scan and came up with a Code P2623 - Injector control pressure regulator circuit open and a few others for the EGR valve which has been deleted.

Got home from camping and did some of the tests according to the troubleshooting steps I found out here. Here is what I found:

FICM Voltage 47.5
Batteries at 12.1 with a low of 9.6 while cranking.
IPR Low value 14.7 and High Value 83.9
ICP Low value (KOEO) 50.7 and High 277.6 PSI
The weird thing about my ICP is the second time I tried it while cranking it never changed from the 50.7 value but at one time it did go to 277.6.
I also tried unplugging the ICP plug and cranked with no success. The ICP value did go up in the 1200 range while cranking with it unplugged though.

I assume that I am having some type of HPOP problem. I am going too order the fitting to do the air test to see if I can find a leak.

Am I on the right track so far or totally off track? Anything else I am missing? Thanks fro any help or suggestions.

Old 07-10-2016, 05:58 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Do you have another ipr that you can swap in to try? Otherwise I would air test it and see what you find.

Old 07-10-2016, 06:01 PM
carnochanm
Junior User
No I dont have one unfortunately. Did read right that the fitting I need to air test is the same as the fuel test fitting?

Old 07-10-2016, 06:04 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Pick up the OTC 6763

Old 07-10-2016, 06:21 PM
carnochanm
Junior User
Is the IPR socket worth getting also?

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-68210-S...D14R1A2DD0Z8PR

Old 07-10-2016, 06:31 PM
carnochanm
Junior User
I did forget to add the FICM sync was at 0 with KOEO and at 1 while cranking and the same with the C & CR sync.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:02 AM
BigGreenEx
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by carnochanm
No I dont have one unfortunately. Did read right that the fitting I need to air test is the same as the fuel test fitting?
This is the first I've heard that the threads for the fuel port are the same as the ICP threads and I can test pressure using the same fitting if I have a pressure gauge. This is awesome if it is true. One less thing I need to buy!

Old 07-11-2016, 12:07 AM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts

Excursion with an 05 motor. Is the motor out our another excursion or from a pickup. ICP is way low. If from a pickup, sounds like an STC fitting on the hpop. Air test to confirm. If from another Excursion, it could be the old style motor and hpop cause they put the 03-04 motor in those till 06 or so.

I don't think the fuel port threads are the same as the ICP. If memory serves, the ICP is much bigger.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:32 AM
carnochanm
Junior User
Originally Posted by BryanStein
Excursion with an 05 motor. Is the motor out our another excursion or from a pickup. ICP is way low. If from a pickup, sounds like an STC fitting on the hpop. Air test to confirm. If from another Excursion, it could be the old style motor and hpop cause they put the 03-04 motor in those till 06 or so.

I don't think the fuel port threads are the same as the ICP. If memory serves, the ICP is much bigger.
I am assuming it is out of a truck because it has the newer style HPOP.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:16 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I am assuming it is out of a truck because it has the newer style HPOP.
The first thing that needs to be addressed is the IPR circuit open or it will never start.

Old 07-11-2016, 06:52 AM
carnochanm
Junior User
Originally Posted by mustang_309
The first thing that needs to be addressed is the IPR circuit open or it will never start.
Can you point in the right direction? I will address as soon as I get home from work today and post any findings.

Still reading, searching and learning here for sure.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:11 AM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang_309
Teach me something here. I saw where he posted the icp circuit was open as a code but cleared it because he thought it was an old code. Plus, that's ICP, not IPR. How can the ICP or IPR circuit be open if he is reading values for each during cranking. Perhaps the IPR reading is a command value.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:36 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Originally Posted by BryanStein
Teach me something here. I saw where he posted the icp circuit was open as a code but cleared it because he thought it was an old code. Plus, that's ICP, not IPR. How can the ICP or IPR circuit be open if he is reading values for each during cranking. Perhaps the IPR reading is a command value.
I didn't look up the code, he stated in his first post that it was the " injector control pressure regulator circuit open" he would still have numbers as the IPR is a commanded value not actual valve position.

Old 07-11-2016, 09:59 AM
mustang_309
Postmaster
Can you point in the right direction? I will address as soon as I get home from work today and post any findings.

Still reading, searching and learning here for sure.
I would pull the IPR valve and look for a damaged screen. You will need an IPR oring kit that comes with a new screen. You can flush the IPR valve out by holding the valve plug open by pushing it open with something that won't damage the valve internals through the end of the valve and flush it good with WD-40 or something similar. You can check it on the electrical side by checking the ohms across the the pins with an dvm, I'm not sure what the value should be but any numerical value is better than an OL or OR as it means the circuit is open in the coil which means you need a new IPR. Maybe one of the guys will chime in with what the ohm reading should be.

Old 07-11-2016, 10:15 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Brian,
ICP is commanded
IPR is commanded
ICPV is actual

IIRC on those sensors.

Brett is on it.. IPR is open, could be a bad wire to the IPR, maybe melted to the intake? ICP would have been P2285, low Injector Control Pressure (not the regulator).

Quick Reply: Stall with no start while towing camper