1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Color over epoxy primer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 07:51 PM
avf100
Fleet Mechanic
Received 400 Likes on 188 Posts
I'm a beginner at this bodywork,primer,paint stuff, but from what i have read, is that there is a window of time that you can apply paint over sealer/primer without sanding. after that time has elapsed, the sealer needs to be sanded or scuffed for the paint to adhere properly.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:10 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
When you buy your paint they should give you the data sheet with it and all the information is on it...

Old 07-23-2016, 06:03 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I have a question about buffing in the 1 1/2" recesses of the tail gate. I have had good results on the raised panels using "Uni Grit" 1,000, 1,200, 1,500, 2,000 and 3,000, followed by 3M #1, #2, #3 on waffle foams for buffing. I only have a few small areas on the panels that need a little more attention. I stopped close to the edges until I know the best way to get a buffer into the recessed areas of the gate which have a lot of orange peel . The smallest pads I can find on the market are 2", so I could either make a small one, leave it as is, or use the buffing wheel shown in the pic below. Any opinions thoughts or experience.. As you know its acrylic enamel with hardener but is behaving good as far as the sanding goes, it's just the buffing I don't want to open a can of worms by sanding and then not being abel to bring the shine back up. I didn't start a new thread as it seems several other members are also working with paint and have questions. Thank you.

Attached Images    
Old 07-23-2016, 06:45 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
Looks like you are doing a good job there Jimmy...unfortunately, as you are finding out, some areas just don't lend themselves well to machine buffing. I have a number of tools to make the job easier but if you are not in the business then the cost is prohibitive to buy these tools. Many times hand buffing is your only recourse. Harbor Freight has some tools that are close to the functionality of the pro tools, one you may consider is the 2 in. Mini Orbital Air Sander item#93629. I have not used this tool personally but I have one like it (Rupes TA 50 Mini random orbital sander) that costs 10X as much as the HF model. This tool should get into most all the nooks and crannies that are causing you grief. BTW - this "sander" becomes a "buffer" with the addition of a buffing pad.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:00 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Jim, I had the same problem with my tailgate.....how to buff in those recessed corners? I ended up leaving mine alone as I didn't want some parts smooth and some not. I have not had great results with hand buffing.
Another idea is to sand the whole thing down and shoot another coat of paint on it...hopefully smoother.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:09 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
You know what? I have one of those I got years ago, but have never used it and forgot I had it. Hand buffing I can try on a test piece but doesn't sound like much fun 3M makes a 3" waffle foam pad that I could cut to size, if HB doesn't have one for buffing. Thank you Charlie, I always appreciate your input.

Old 07-23-2016, 07:28 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by tinman52
Jim, I had the same problem with my tailgate.....how to buff in those recessed corners? I ended up leaving mine alone as I didn't want some parts smooth and some not. I have not had great results with hand buffing.
Another idea is to sand the whole thing down and shoot another coat of paint on it...hopefully smoother.
I guess you were typing when I was answering Charlie. I bet your yours left alone looks way better than mine would buffed, lol. I'm with you on the hand buffing, but I think Ill try the mini buffer since I already have it, plus I shot some color on that transmission floor cover that you may have seen at the beginning of the thread. So I can see how it works on that since I only painted it to keep it from rusting and it wont matter if I make a mess. If I don't like or trust the results Ill just finish off the tail gate panels and leave the recesses alone. They don't really look that bad and like you mentioned at least they are consistent. Thank you Scott, you guys always point me in the right direction, and I appreciate it more than you know.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:49 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
OK , here is my attempt at a mini buffer with adjustable buffer pad size. Ill let you all know if it works in a few days. I have never presented a question or obstacle that has not been solved by my fellow FTE friends. thank you guys.

Attached Images   
Old 07-24-2016, 12:51 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 467 Likes on 303 Posts
You got the right idea Jimmy. I have been using some of the Meguiars microfiber pads as well. The microfiber pad is thinner and a little easier to control in tight places plus it lets you focus the force down on the pad without the pad folding over.

Old 07-24-2016, 01:22 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
You got the right idea Jimmy. I have been using some of the Meguiars microfiber pads as well. The microfiber pad is thinner and a little easier to control in tight places plus it lets you focus the force down on the pad without the pad folding over.
Thank you sir, this is me going to find Mqguires micro fiber pads, Byy

Old 08-04-2016, 06:55 PM
schoo
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Hi Jim we where talking about that tailgate the other day so I thought I'd post a pic and say looking forward to meeting up

I can't make out the runs but they are there

Old 08-04-2016, 07:13 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
I cant see any in the pic, in fact it looks great. Looking forward to seeing you and Dan Saturday.We will talk paint no doubt LOL.