6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Lower power

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 08:21 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts
Lower power

Since I'm learning about this 1st diesel and getting into my dealership is taking longer than I'd like (weeks), would like opinions. To keep this shorter, I'll post bullets in chronological order.

• Took truck in to have left front riding 1" low and exhaust smell in cabin during regen corrected.
  • 2 months later replacement LF spring installed and exhaust section including DPF was replaced.
  • Next day check engine light came on. Pulled into dealer and NOx fault code read and cleared. Told me to come back if it repeats.
  • After this exhaust install, any time the turbo kicks in I hear what sounds like an air rushing noise from right side of truck. I also don't have the power I did. i.e. seat of pants clearly less power & truck downshifts a gear where it didn't before.
  • Ask dealer to sched a drive a few weeks ago, but still waiting for call to come by. They are busy, and I have an appt on 7/19.
  • Took a long drive a week ago & regen kicked in. EGT 12 got up to 1250, and regen completed. Now the funking rushing air exhaust noise is gone. Maybe the high heat sealed up something.
  • NOx fault came back over a week ago (reading code myself with Torque & OBDII). Also ran Torque test & O2 bank 1 sensor 1 failed with reading of 4.5, but no fault code for O2 sensor.
  • Not related, but for many months TPMS system screwing up. Dealer recal sensors since the recal procedure failed 2x for me. TPMS fault is back, & I can see LR pressure is stuck as viewed on Torque.
Any ideas or suggestions in my dealings with the dealer?

As always, thank you!
Mike

Old 07-09-2016, 09:01 PM
NStorm
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by KodiakF250
Since I'm learning about this 1st diesel and getting into my dealership is taking longer than I'd like (weeks), would like opinions. To keep this shorter, I'll post bullets in chronological order.

• Took truck in to have left front riding 1" low and exhaust smell in cabin during regen corrected.
  • 2 months later replacement LF spring installed and exhaust section including DPF was replaced.
  • Next day check engine light came on. Pulled into dealer and NOx fault code read and cleared. Told me to come back if it repeats.
  • After this exhaust install, any time the turbo kicks in I hear what sounds like an air rushing noise from right side of truck. I also don't have the power I did. i.e. seat of pants clearly less power & truck downshifts a gear where it didn't before.
  • Ask dealer to sched a drive a few weeks ago, but still waiting for call to come by. They are busy, and I have an appt on 7/19.
  • Took a long drive a week ago & regen kicked in. EGT 12 got up to 1250, and regen completed. Now the funking rushing air exhaust noise is gone. Maybe the high heat sealed up something.
  • NOx fault came back over a week ago (reading code myself with Torque & OBDII). Also ran Torque test & O2 bank 1 sensor 1 failed with reading of 4.5, but no fault code for O2 sensor.
  • Not related, but for many months TPMS system screwing up. Dealer recal sensors since the recal procedure failed 2x for me. TPMS fault is back, & I can see LR pressure is stuck as viewed on Torque.
Any ideas or suggestions in my dealings with the dealer?

As always, thank you!
Mike
Hey Mike...quite a list there. Based on your experiences, I'd check out a different dealer...if you can. Sounds like your place is treating the symptoms, and not the root issues...might have a gremlin in there needs eviction. Also, a note to Crystal and team on the boards here (Ford Customer Service Reps) will do some good.

Good luck!
Nels

Old 07-09-2016, 09:07 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Pretty limited to one dealer. On an island. Good people though.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:27 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I agree, they are just band aiding the issues.

TPMS...it would appear they need to replace the sensors in the tires.
Nox, completed dianostics...not reflash.

Same with the other stuff, follow the troubleshooting procedure properly.

As to the whisle from the turbo, check all the boots and inspect the exhaust components for soot.

Old 07-10-2016, 11:31 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Thank you both!
I've read that the troubleshooting on the Nox is to reset the 1st time and see if it comes back. So I think they are on track with that as long as they do like you suggest...a full diagnostics and not just swap the sensor. Because I'm new to owning a diesel, I'm not sure if the Nox and the O2 test failure could cause my low power situation.

I noticed the drop in power right after the exhaust replacement, and after the Service Mgr pulled the code, he crawled under the truck to make sure the wiring harness was plugged into the Nox. Then he reset the code.

At first I was worried the low power was directly connected to the drastic sound difference in the exhaust. No soot seen around the exhaust components. I've actually crawled under there on 2 occasions looking for just that, and once with the wife working the throttle some. But like I said, that air rushing sound stopped after completing the regen. So at least now the exhaust sounds normal. I may have gotten a little power back after the regen too, but I'm still down on power enough to see downshifts when a touch of the throttle before would have worked.

The other symptom I've noticed that I didn't mention is turbo lag from a stop when she's cold. Not so drastic after she's warmed up, but definitely still not as snappy as before. When I bought her, that was one thing I was very happy that Ford fixed over previous models that I'd driven. I just touch the throttle and she's going without the lag, but not right now which is frustrating.

Nothing I can really do myself since I don't have anything other than a code reader, and she's well within the warranty period. I always try to get smarter about my vehicles, and this forum has always helped me understand my new truck more...even back when I bought my 2011 F250 gasser.

So, would Nox and a possible problem with O2 bank 1 sensor 1 cause my low power symptoms?

Old 07-11-2016, 06:06 PM
pjcinmi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the problems you are having. (Turbo noise, High egt's, Low power) I would check to UPPER turbo hoses / pipes and clamps. Crack PLASTIC pipe, or loose clamps, that may have been miss installed when the other pipe was replaced.

Check this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...f-buffalo.html

Old 07-11-2016, 11:32 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Originally Posted by pjcinmi
With the problems you are having. (Turbo noise, High egt's, Low power) I would check to UPPER turbo hoses / pipes and clamps. Crack PLASTIC pipe, or loose clamps, that may have been miss installed when the other pipe was replaced.

Check this thread.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...f-buffalo.html
Thanks, but I don't think I'm in the same trouble. A couple of you have mentioned turbo noise, but it wasn't a turbo whistle or anything similar. It sounded like air rushing, and it was coming from the passenger side about mid-way back in the cabin...right about where the DPF is located.

Also, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought 1200 degree EGT12 temps was normal about 10 minutes into a regen. Because I believe that's normal, I was only mentioning it because it was after that regen & high temps that the air rushing noise stopped.

Please don't take this as being argumentative. I'm trying to verify what you have offered as a possible cause, and it's not clicking in my brain.

Old 07-12-2016, 01:30 PM
pjcinmi
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not taking it as argumentative at all!
But based upon your descriptions though. The Turbo on the 6.7 sit low in the valley of the engine. (Unlike the 7.3 6.0 or 6.4) The Turbos exits on the Passenger side. (Rushing air noise) A air leak at ANY of the the Turbo pipes, can cause reduced power. A air leak at the Turbo can cause reduced cool of the exhaust and or higher EGT's. There are O rings in the pipe. IF the dealer removed that pipe for any reason, and the O rings got twisted, or ...

It could be, that while the engine is cold you hear it. When the engine is warm the seal or plastic pipe is expanding and sealing itself up.

Again, your is not as bad as in the link I posted earlier. But has similar effects on a smaller scale.

My high EGT's run in the 1,100's during Active Regens.

Parts lay out.
TURBOCHARGER & COMPONENTS for 2013 Ford F-250 Super Duty

Disclosure: Not a Ford mechanic either!

Old 07-19-2016, 10:43 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Here's an update after taking the truck to its appt at the dealership today.

Summary, truck is no different than when I took it in because all the diagnosis procedures took the mechanic back to contacting Ford since NOx sensors troubleshooting isn't cut and dry. Ford told him they know there is a problem with NOx sensor "programming" (my word), and they are working on a solution.

I understand process oriented troubleshooting, but I now face an unknown amount of time to wait for Ford to provide the solution. Pretty disappointing since this started right after the section of exhaust was replaced. (It was the section right after the down tube.)

• Regen temps were normal as I thought.
  • No exhaust leaks were found.
  • I won't go over the various diagnostic steps to keep this brief, and I don't have paper copy of the visit yet.
My bad luck didn't even stop at the LR TPMS sensor either. They replaced it, but then it wouldn't calibrate. So, I get to go back on Tues to put another sensor in.

Pretty bummed. I had hoped for more progress.

Old 07-20-2016, 01:25 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having these issues and I know it's frustrating to have a problematic truck.

You will just have to keep at it until they can get it figured out. At least you have a dealer on the island to go to!

Old 07-20-2016, 03:38 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Thanks Dakster. Yes, glad to have a dealership here.

As I've told the dealership, I'm having trouble buying a NOx sensor calibration problem that suddenly popped up when my exhaust section was replaced. Last night I realized I didn't specifically ask if my original NOx sensor was installed in the new exhaust, and what new component(s) were installed besides exhaust to cause this P2201 fault code. And is this NOx sensor calibration problem the smoking gun that's causing my drop in power and severe turbo lag at times.

Leaving work yesterday afternoon, I began to pull out on the road to get in front of a p/u truck pulling a trailer that was about 1/4 mile down the road. As I pressed the go pedal, the truck only slowly started to move forward as rpm's were sluggish. I continued to press until I got to what I'll guess is 1/4 - 1/3 throttle, and then the turbo suddenly kicked in causing the RR tire to squall.

So now I have to wait for Ford to come up with a calibration fix while I drive around with these symptoms. And, just how many weeks will Ford take? Tomorrow will be 6 weeks since the first NOx fault.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:15 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Good thing it isn't winter - that could put you in the ditch...

Old 07-22-2016, 12:03 AM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Update with some good news and more details for future readers.

Drove truck to work and back today, and it's MUCH better! Very minor turbo lag, and power is damn near back to normal. No down-shifts and p/u is drastically improved.

So, stopped by dealership on the way home to see what details he forgot to tell me about what was done. In addition to clearing fault code and doing other diagnostics, he cleared the PCM and reloaded. This morning I started to suspect this was done since it seemed the truck was shifting a little different when I drove to work.

Also should share that the exhaust section replaced was from the down-tube connection all the way back through the entire SCR and DPF. Original sensors were moved onto new exhaust. I suspect the air rushing noise was something odd in the SCR/DPF section since that falls right where I heard the rushing noise coming from. Since that section is all covered with insulation, I wasn't able to check for soot from an exhaust leak, but like mentioned before, that sound has gone. However, if the truck doesn't completely return to normal, I told the service mgr that we should replace that exhaust section since it's the ONLY thing replaced between good performance and bad performance, and the rushing noise indicates something wasn't right. First we'll see if the PCM gets smart an resolves everything, and we'll also wait to see if NOx fault code for bank 1 sensor 1 returns. They may not have done the PCM the first time, which meant they didn't give the truck a chance to "learn" the new exhaust components.

Sooooo, there is hope on the near horizon vice the distant horizon!

Collateral fun today was checking out the new GT350 they just got in today. Very nice Mustang! It's a DIB with white stripes which would be a fun stablemate with my Kona blue with silver stripes GT500 ...not happening at this time though.

Old 07-25-2016, 09:04 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
Dang fault code came back today while coming home. Had just done a mid-level boost acceleration from 20-55, and I notice the check engine light on shortly afterwards. Pulled the code when I got to the dealership, and it's the same P2201...NOx.

Dropped truck off at the dealership for them to change the TPMS sensor again tomorrow, and hopefully he'll have time to either change the NOx sensor or do whatever is next in the diagnostics procedure.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:27 PM
KodiakF250
More Turbo
They were too busy on the 26th to add more testing of the NOx, but we scheduled another appt yesterday to continue with the P2201 troubleshooting. I think I've got my truck back! I picked it up from the dealership yesterday, and throughout the day he went through the rest of the checks for this fault. I think I counted 1-2 dozen that he did. That left replacing the sensor as the next step, but after inspecting it again, he found it was a little loose! Not the plug, but loosely threaded into the exhaust. So he fixed that and today I had a chance to drive the truck a bit. Ironically it went through a regen (mileage induced, 491 miles since last regen) as soon as the engine temp warmed up. I actually thought it might regen on him in the shop. The great thing is I can tell I now have the rest of the original power back! It's clearly strong again from the start and also throughout the power band.

Clearly the sensor wasn't working correctly, and I'm betting is was due to a poor ground connection from the exhaust assy. I think it may have been leaking exhaust a little too. Didn't really see soot trace, but the exhaust sounded more normal today too.

Man I'm happy, and hopefully it stays this way without the NOx engine fault returning!