1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

EBC brake pads

Old 07-12-2016, 10:58 AM
vettex2
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Im50fast
I must admit: while I buy the cool rotors for the (perceived) performance improvements; the visual coolness factor is pretty high

Just knowing that any mechanical type guy may look under the van and see the slots/dimples- that guy thinks I'm pretty cool and that I mean business. Especially when he also learns I have a 415cu inch V10 under the hood.

Sinful pride- on a smaller level.
Do I hear a Tim Allen ToolTime grunt somewhere ?

Old 07-12-2016, 11:25 AM
KarstenP
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 07-12-2016, 01:09 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
No offense guys but that link to the Honda forum was no different than what we are doing here- just a bunch of guys debating and sharing experiences and theories.

Old 07-12-2016, 02:16 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
If you could only get the truth from rotor manufacturers...but they'd be out of business.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:27 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
a thought just hit me that i need to clarify- my Powerstop brakes do NOT have 93,000 miles on them: the original PowerStop (front) pads/rotors were installed 93,000 miles ago (August 2014) but I had a caliper issue the whole time.

During an oil change (about a year ago) the technician noticed the LF brake pads were worn badly, so they slapped on a set of cheap Motorcraft pads on the fronts.

A couple days ago I finally changed the front calipers... that got my mind working in the background recently..

Full disclosure!

Old 07-19-2016, 12:55 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
93k in 2 years ? WOW

So you have been thinking the PS pads were so great but MC pads have been on fo a year ?

What was the caliper issue ?

Old 07-19-2016, 05:48 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by vettex2
93k in 2 years ? WOW

So you have been thinking the PS pads were so great but MC pads have been on fo a year ?

What was the caliper issue ?
Yes sir I bought it with about 113,000 miles back in June 2013. It's currently at 261,745 miles. ( also I still owe $4000 on it LOL)

What's the math on that?… 49,000/year. Almost a thousand per week. That's nearly 3 full tanks of gas every week. Almost 13,000 gallons of fuel. About $30,000 worth of fuel. Wow.

In that time I have produced over $600,000 dollars gross profit for my boss though.

And to clarify: The MC pads have been average for the last year and I was thinking they kind of sucked because I thought they were worn out PS pads. LOL

When I originally put on the Powerstop brakes I knew immediately that I was pulling left under braking so I rebuilt the calipers with a friend. The right front caliper had one of the pistons stuck really bad, so we did our best to fix it and yet, upon reinstalling I still had the leftward pull. I procrastinated for a year until last weekend when I just put AutoZone calipers on it.

Old 07-19-2016, 05:51 PM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
So yeah, the rotors have 93,000 miles on them, and they are wearing funny because the left one is worn largely more than the right.
The left side has worn off the high performance machined slots completely.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:40 PM
vettex2
Posting Guru
If you are making over 1/2 million for your boss, maybe you should open up a company for yourself?

Old 07-20-2016, 02:24 AM
Toppa
Senior User
My damn Brake makes squeaking noises all the time and the brake Performance is more or less... worse Thing is the shape of my calipers... really rusty and the Pistons are going to move stiff... is the a repairkit for the calipers? will order EBC Pads then, im also a Fan of them. Only know from Bikes. For your main theme: I'm sure that a !Truck! wont Need drilled rotors^^ but : haben ist besser als brauchen- better have it than Need it.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:28 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by vettex2
If you are making over 1/2 million for your boss, maybe you should open up a company for yourself?
If you only knew how many times I've dreamed of it... But i'd need $30,000 of equipment and then have to endure negative cash flow for the first 12-18 months of getting started. I simply can't afford either.

Anyway he just recently promoted me to running his Orlando branch and I'm making incredible money (currently on track for 6figures, praise God!).

Old 07-20-2016, 04:36 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Toppa
My damn Brake makes squeaking noises all the time and the brake Performance is more or less... worse Thing is the shape of my calipers... really rusty and the Pistons are going to move stiff... is the a repairkit for the calipers? will order EBC Pads then, im also a Fan of them. Only know from Bikes. For your main theme: I'm sure that a !Truck! wont Need drilled rotors^^ but : haben ist besser als brauchen- better have it than Need it.
IF drilled/slotted rotors actually do improve performance; then they would be beneficial on heavy vehicles like trucks and vans. Logic tells me they would be "wasted" on small lightweight vehicles that don't get much use. Right Toppa?

Brakes caliper rebuild kits are available for a very low price. I thought they'd be a very smart choice because of the simplicity of a caliper. But when me and my friend, both fully capable and experienced technicians, rebuilt mine - apparently we failed somehow.
So I conclude there must be "more to it" and I'll just replace brake calipers from now on.

I still have caliper rebuild kits for the rears... Sealed bags if anyone wants them.

Old 07-20-2016, 05:33 AM
Toppa
Senior User
Logic tells everybody that an improved brakeperformance would be beneficial for every vehicle. Trucks as well as lightweight vehicles. An improve is an improve. dont care on which vehicle. Right Im50fast?

however, i dont believe that it will be necessary to use racingbrakes for a truck. Sure it will improve, but will it be worth?

thanks for the tip about buying full calipers.. i will check out the Prices in germany

Old 07-20-2016, 06:50 AM
Im50fast
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Toppa
Logic tells everybody that an improved brakeperformance would be beneficial for every vehicle. Trucks as well as lightweight vehicles. An improve is an improve. dont care on which vehicle. Right Im50fast?

however, i dont believe that it will be necessary to use racingbrakes for a truck. Sure it will improve, but will it be worth?

thanks for the tip about buying full calipers.. i will check out the Prices in germany
I fully agree with your first paragraph. I guess there was a misunderstanding somewhere. Sorry about that.

However your second paragraph seems to contradict your first. Yes I do believe high-performance brakes are excellent for a truck. That's why I buy them. The sheer power of deceleration from my Powerstop brakes is/was phenomenal.

All it takes is one "close call" to fully justify the extra money. Have you ever had a vehicle crash that was your fault? I have. And I've had near misses as well.

Imagine if you rear-end crash somebody… Imagine yourself in that position and then imagine if an angel of the Lord appeared and tells you that it could've been prevented for $200…

Old 07-20-2016, 08:39 AM
dcgayhart
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I put EBC yellow's on my Jeep TJ when I upgraded to 35" tires. They are very aggressive, I can lock the tires on the original rotors! The yellow's are also tuff on rotors, greens a little less.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: EBC brake pads