6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

2015 6.7L Power Stroke Main Bearing Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2017, 01:00 PM
Ricohman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Tangless bearings... WTH were they thinking?
Fractured rods and tangless bearings. Bikes have been using them for years.
I suppose anything can fail.

Old 01-20-2017, 02:21 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Ricohman
Fractured rods and tangless bearings. Bikes have been using them for years.
I suppose anything can fail.
I should wait 6-7 months to respond - like you did...
Fractured rods and PM rods are commonplace - not so much with tangless bearings to my knowledge. It makes no sense to rely solely upon the radial force / crush of the bearings alone to ensure the bearing stays seated. Eventually all fasteners (bolts) will stretch slightly and at that point a tangless bearing can start to work it's way loose and spin.
Not machining a tang in the rod is simply a cost-saving measure and will not add to the life of the engine - rather - it will limit the life of the engine..

Old 01-21-2017, 08:38 AM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would be more concerned about a Top End failure in an early 6.7 rather than a Bottom End MB Failure. Considering the amount of 6.7s on the road today, and the relatively low failure rate of this Engine I'm not too worried about mine. Remember, most Owners don't post here to say how good, and trouble free their 6.7 runs. The ones that we hear about are from Owner's who have had a bad experience with their Truck.

Old 01-22-2017, 06:41 PM
ajhyman
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They Are great Trucks !!!! Motor is great too. just want to find out if other people were having same Problems so i could talk to ford and sell if they would help me ? My Truck was at Gibbons Ford In PA. For Nine weeks ? They only have Two Diesel Techs ? And had Five plus trucks that needed Motors Some with Short Blocks Some with Long Blocks . Each truck has to come in cab off then take motor apart to see what went wrong . The GM was mad he had to fix it Because i did not buy it from him ? It was not my fault that truck broke down three 1/2 hours from my house. They first told me would take three weeks that was ok. But nine weeks with out my truck . So One main bearing went bad , And crack glow plug and injector was crack ? Picked truck up Saturday Open door Black grease all over floor matt on carpet . Truck is a King ranch Mint 2012 with 42,000 miles on it . Funny thing when i open hood looked around looked at Air cleaner the cover they had on it was Not mine ?? Had Writing on it Wix # And Mileage. I NEVER wrote on mine. I know it was a mistake But GM said tough luck and did not care . Would not believe me . I did not even use Wix filters . I do all the work on my truck . He made a comment and grab my hands and said I Do NOT see Holes in YOUR HANDS . I guess he meant JESUS C .

Old 01-22-2017, 10:12 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by Nipperdog
I would be more concerned about a Top End failure in an early 6.7 rather than a Bottom End MB Failure. Considering the amount of 6.7s on the road today, and the relatively low failure rate of this Engine I'm not too worried about mine. Remember, most Owners don't post here to say how good, and trouble free their 6.7 runs. The ones that we hear about are from Owner's who have had a bad experience with their Truck.
I call BS on this. There are plenty of owners that post about how much they like them. This seems to be what everybody says when somebody has a problem to make it sound like the problems are few and far between when in fact they are a lot more than they should be. The fact is, though the 6.7 is a great motor, it is also cause plenty of people plenty of headache.

Old 01-23-2017, 07:45 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,625 Likes on 1,643 Posts
Originally Posted by BBslider001
I call BS on this. There are plenty of owners that post about how much they like them. This seems to be what everybody says when somebody has a problem to make it sound like the problems are few and far between when in fact they are a lot more than they should be. The fact is, though the 6.7 is a great motor, it is also cause plenty of people plenty of headache.
Yup! The 6.7 is just a mechanical device. And ANY mechanical device can fail/ give problems. While most are good, there will be a few that are not. I had trouble with my '15 which I believe all started with an electronic glitch that they could not figure out and led to the failure of the complete fuel system. Ford did warranty it, but I no longer trusted the vehicle, because I did not KNOW that by replacing the fuel system would cure the problem, or if it was going to raise its ugly head someplace down the road!!
And by the way, I remember my Dad, bought a brand new 1958 Chevrolet with the holy grail of motors.......small block Chevy (283 C.I.D.) and had nothing but engine trouble with it! I don't remember all the details, but it seems like it was all about the rocker arms not oiling properly.

Last edited by Desert Don; 01-23-2017 at 07:48 AM. Reason: Delete comment
Old 01-23-2017, 10:55 AM
swarf_rat
Elder User
As the price of an item goes up, the expectations of perfection go up. But also the complexity associated with sophistication. Basically, you can have cheap, complex, or perfect - but only two of those at once.

Old 01-23-2017, 09:25 PM
97-psd
Logistics Pro
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by swarf_rat
As the price of an item goes up, the expectations of perfection go up. But also the complexity associated with sophistication. Basically, you can have cheap, complex, or perfect - but only two of those at once.

This is very true. We expect a lot out of these rigs, perhaps too much sometimes

Old 01-23-2017, 11:59 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by swarf_rat
Huh?

Is that sort of like - Price / Performance / Quality - pick any two?

I do agree that the higher the price, the higher the expectation of quality...

Old 02-22-2017, 08:41 PM
Shaunclark
New User
2011 f350 6.7 main bearings

Just took my truck in found out the crank bearings went out

Old 02-22-2017, 09:09 PM
JohnD333
Laughing Gas
Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts
The problem is that quality is not built into the base $35k unit. Just because you add $10-20k in Chrome,leather, sound and glass accessories, does not make the basic drive train any more reliable or, unfortunately, warrant you being treated like you paid $60 versus $35k for it initially.

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Huh?

I do agree that the higher the price, the higher the expectation of quality...

Old 02-23-2017, 05:28 AM
ajhyman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Shaunclark
Just took my truck in found out the crank bearings went out
How many Miles on your truck What did they tell you ? Warranty ?

Old 02-23-2017, 07:34 AM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ajhyman
They are doing Short Block Under warranty Yes But What i am saying truck has been at dealer for NINE weeks !! And they are only giving me 12,000 miles or one year Warranty on New Short Block. I was 3 1/2 hours away from home Had rent a car to get home $150 , I have not had truck in nine weeks If i had to rent a truck would cost 900 per month plus .45 a mile . So what they offered me was 1000 bucks Or Two years on Motor Only Really only one extra year ? . I take care of my cars and truck this only had 40,000 on it Mint . Truck listed over 64,000 in 2012 . I have a f250 2002 with 167,000 on it , Yes not paying any money to get it fixed But what has it cost me . Truck was under warranty
Hi Yes Been talking with James for Six Weeks He is Regional Manager ! They should do more for me . It will be Nine weeks tomorrow . And once they fix it One Year or 12,000 thats it I think going just take 1,000 and call it a day With Ford We have 2002 7.3 with 167,000 a 2000 excursion with 100000 miles a 1965 Mustang and a 1957 F 600 Just real up set that they will not do more and do not care They offered me One payment on truck I paid truck off in one year so they said take 63,000 divided x 60 thats what you get
Yes Long time If i had to rent a truck would cost me 900 per month and .45 per mile Also cost me 150 rent a car to get home . If you were in my shoes you would want them to do better On a Short Block Warranty is only one year or 12,000 I really think your not getting my point . I spent a lot of money on my King Ranch list was over 65,000 so do not take it wrong
They Are great Trucks !!!! Motor is great too. just want to find out if other people were having same Problems so i could talk to ford and sell if they would help me ? My Truck was at Gibbons Ford In PA. For Nine weeks ? They only have Two Diesel Techs ? And had Five plus trucks that needed Motors Some with Short Blocks Some with Long Blocks . Each truck has to come in cab off then take motor apart to see what went wrong . The GM was mad he had to fix it Because i did not buy it from him ? It was not my fault that truck broke down three 1/2 hours from my house. They first told me would take three weeks that was ok. But nine weeks with out my truck . So One main bearing went bad , And crack glow plug and injector was crack ? Picked truck up Saturday Open door Black grease all over floor matt on carpet . Truck is a King ranch Mint 2012 with 42,000 miles on it . Funny thing when i open hood looked around looked at Air cleaner the cover they had on it was Not mine ?? Had Writing on it Wix # And Mileage. I NEVER wrote on mine. I know it was a mistake But GM said tough luck and did not care . Would not believe me . I did not even use Wix filters . I do all the work on my truck . He made a comment and grab my hands and said I Do NOT see Holes in YOUR HANDS . I guess he meant JESUS C .
This story doesn't make sense.

If the motor is thrashed and the truck is still under the powertrain warranty, the replacement motor should be an OEM reman long block, not an aftermarket short block.

Old 02-23-2017, 06:55 PM
ajhyman
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Pocket
This story doesn't make sense.

If the motor is thrashed and the truck is still under the powertrain warranty, the replacement motor should be an OEM reman long block, not an aftermarket short block.
Well Ford did not do that . They Said Heads were ok ? They said Metal did not get in them ? I did not trust them Thats why i sold the truck Next day when i got home . They told me if they did long block and when they send old parts back and heads were fine Ford would not pay Warranty. They Only give 12 months and 12,000 on New short Block or Long Block I was told Both are Reman

Old 02-23-2017, 07:27 PM
4df150
Elder User
Received 305 Likes on 82 Posts
Just curious - You sold the truck, did you get you another new truck and what did you get?

Quick Reply: 2015 6.7L Power Stroke Main Bearing Problems