Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Rear disk conversation? Rear axles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 03:15 AM
elramosjorge
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear disk conversation? Rear axles?

Looking for some information regarding my 94 f350 turbo 4x4, I need to know what type of axles I have in the rear?
The bracket is stamped S132-G 4.10

I am going to do the disk convertion, because I need new brakes on my f350 and it so happens that I need to replace everything, shoes, drums, hardware, and emergency brake kit as well. So the cost was about 275.
Might as well do the rear disk.

My question is since so many brackets are available and even full kits what would be the best option,
1. Lug nuts kit
2. Great Lakes off road
3. Buy brackets and make my own

Old 07-07-2016, 12:54 PM
444dieselrod
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You have a Sterling 10.25 rear axle.

Most guys will tell you the rear disc conversion is not worth it. I bought a blackbird kit 10 years ago and it's still on the shelf so I can't comment.

Old 07-07-2016, 02:16 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,106 Likes on 2,167 Posts
agreed. i have driven old trucks with disc brake conversions done and was not impressed. i stayed with drums on my older trucks.

Old 07-10-2016, 03:48 PM
elramosjorge
New User
Originally Posted by 444dieselrod
You have a Sterling 10.25 rear axle.

Most guys will tell you the rear disc conversion is not worth it. I bought a blackbird kit 10 years ago and it's still on the shelf so I can't comment.
Thank you for confirming. I just really hate drums in the back they always fail, so I think the little money upfront will help with easier brakes changes.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:07 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
How do drums always fail? The only thing I've noticed is having to occasionally check the adjusters(because auto adjusters don't).
On the other hand, I've had front disc calipers stick more than once, especially on a truck that isn't used frequently.

And sure, perhaps drum brakes need more pressure for the same stopping force, but that's why Hydroboost exists. Get yourself a hydroboost conversion, and you'll be able to lock the wheels at will, /without/ having to pull on the steering wheel and throw all your weight on the pedal.
That's what I did on my main towing truck, and it's so much better than the (admittedly probably worn out) vacuum booster system that it replaced that I haven't needed to worry about braking as much.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:14 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i just completed a disc conversion on my 87. from lugnut 4x4
when i tore my drums apart, alot of broken springs.
so disc it was....
i like them, for the ease of repairs and simplicity.

your stock e-brake cables will not work, you will need to get aftermarket cables.

you will need the f superduty master as well.

i like them. stops on a dime, we will see if i feel a difference when towing.

Old 07-11-2016, 12:19 AM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I put SD axles in my 92. Discs all the way around, stock master / booster. The difference is just insane. Still have my nice pedal feel, good brake feedback, and just crazy stopping power. Actually almost scared to push on em too hard loaded, for fear of breaking a spring hanger or spring or something lol.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:29 AM
shorerider16
Senior User
How does the parking brake hold with discs in the rear? I've heard more than a few people say that discs don't hold as well with cable parking brakes as drums do but I can't say that I have personal experience.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:25 PM
Sawbones25
Senior User
shorerider16,

I used to have a 2001 F-350 dually with a Dana 80 that had rear disc brakes. When I had my camper or a heavy trailer, the parking brake was usually questionable. I tried to park on flat ground whenever possible. It wouldn't hold much. The shoes were dry and adjusted properly. They were just small.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:44 PM
hairyboxnoogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yea the park brake on superduties is trash, but it will keep your rig from rolling off in a parking lot.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:11 AM
shorerider16
Senior User
Interesting, between that and the price tag drums are sounding a little more attractive. I doubt I could by the calipers and rotors at the parts store up here in Canada for any cheaper than the kit.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:31 PM
mroth2008
Tuned
Originally Posted by shorerider16
Interesting, between that and the price tag drums are sounding a little more attractive. I doubt I could by the calipers and rotors at the parts store up here in Canada for any cheaper than the kit.
Find a better supplier, I bought all the pieces to do the rear for less than 500$ everything from the brackets to hoses. And that's in Canada I have yet to install it had the parts almost 5 years. I used E350 rotors that were still the old pattern they were 90$ each at the time and 3/4 ton 73-87 4x4 chevy front calipers 50 each brand new not reman, pads were 40$ and hoses to match them they were 20$ each, and brackets from tmr custom's 65$. But you get no park brake, I plan on figuring out a drive line brake for that pickup. Even a full rebuild on drums on the back is usually close to 200 to 250 depending on which kit and quality of parts. Biggest issue is usually either they don't adjust and they back off sometimes.

Weld On Rear Disc Conversion Brackets - 3.5 dia. tube [1235] : TMR Customs, Custom Fabrication Components for Offroad Vehicles

Old 07-16-2016, 07:29 PM
shorerider16
Senior User
Originally Posted by mroth2008
Find a better supplier, I bought all the pieces to do the rear for less than 500$ everything from the brackets to hoses. And that's in Canada I have yet to install it had the parts almost 5 years. I used E350 rotors that were still the old pattern they were 90$ each at the time and 3/4 ton 73-87 4x4 chevy front calipers 50 each brand new not reman, pads were 40$ and hoses to match them they were 20$ each, and brackets from tmr custom's 65$. But you get no park brake, I plan on figuring out a drive line brake for that pickup. Even a full rebuild on drums on the back is usually close to 200 to 250 depending on which kit and quality of parts. Biggest issue is usually either they don't adjust and they back off sometimes.

Weld On Rear Disc Conversion Brackets - 3.5 dia. tube [1235] : TMR Customs, Custom Fabrication Components for Offroad Vehicles

I typically shop at Lordco, I buy off a good account and they are typically right in line with everyone else in town. With the dollar so far in the hole it doesn't really pay to shop online out of the states anymore. I see you're in BC as well, where do you typically get your stuff?

I would definitely want a parking brake, my current truck doesn't have one it is incredibly inconvenient at times, so when I build my 93 that will be a must have item. I imagine I could piece together a kit for less than 500 as well, but not with a parking brake. Just the park brake calipers from Lugnut with pads is over 425 Canadian. The Lugnut kit with parking brake and all the components is over 800 Canadian, plus taxes and duty, a lot of cash when I can completely overhaul a set of drums for a few hundred.

I was intrigued initially but it doesn't really seem worthwhile. As much as I'm not a big fan of drum brakes I've never had an instance where they didn't get the job done.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:00 PM
IDIoit
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
i towed for my first time with this truck yesterday, with the lugnuts conversion.
way better stopping power! but that could be because of the hydro.
granted i was only towing 2 tons(trailer included) but the braking was on point!

Old 07-18-2016, 01:01 PM
mroth2008
Tuned
Originally Posted by shorerider16
I typically shop at Lordco, I buy off a good account and they are typically right in line with everyone else in town. With the dollar so far in the hole it doesn't really pay to shop online out of the states anymore. I see you're in BC as well, where do you typically get your stuff?

I would definitely want a parking brake, my current truck doesn't have one it is incredibly inconvenient at times, so when I build my 93 that will be a must have item. I imagine I could piece together a kit for less than 500 as well, but not with a parking brake. Just the park brake calipers from Lugnut with pads is over 425 Canadian. The Lugnut kit with parking brake and all the components is over 800 Canadian, plus taxes and duty, a lot of cash when I can completely overhaul a set of drums for a few hundred.

I was intrigued initially but it doesn't really seem worthwhile. As much as I'm not a big fan of drum brakes I've never had an instance where they didn't get the job done.
tmr 115 per caliper and their in Ontario with park brake

Quick Reply: Rear disk conversation? Rear axles?