01' F-650 w/CAT 3126B Weird coolant anomaly

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 07:41 PM
_IronPig_
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01' F-650 w/CAT 3126B Weird coolant anomaly

Here's the scenario...

Within the past 18 months, I've replaced the radiator, water pump, coolant resevoir bottle(that literally took months to find), A/C compressor, fuel injectors, various hoses and belts, and of course fuel, air, and oil filters...

Last month, the new coolant bottle (less than six months old) springs a leak along one of the molding seams. Luckily the Ford dealer must've ordered and received a shipment of them, because they had three on hand. Since it was under warranty, it was replaced and life was good...it lasted thirteen days and the new replacement bottle sprung a leak at a different point along a molding seam. Upon receiving yet another warranty replacement, and prior to installation, I did a full chem flush of the cooling system, and was **** about the clean flush afterwards. Once satisfied that the system was clean, I installed the new resevoir and fill the system with just over five gallons of CAT "red" ELC(Extended Life Coolant) along with a little water (couple pints or so), and a new 16lb. radiator cap because the gasket on the old one was dried and dying.

I know that after getting to operating temp, and running for a while, that the coolant will expand and I'll have some overflow, and expected it. What happened next is why I'm posting this...

While the overflow was occurring, the coolant had a weird smell. It smelled like diesel fuel, and when I captured the dripping liquid I expected it to be red, but it was green instead. As I've already stated I was **** about the flush, and rinse. There's no way any green coolant was in this system. What could cause the expanding coolant pushed out of the overflow to be green? The motor did not overheat, and the oil is perfect. Could I have developed an internal leak somewhere that's allowing fuel to seep into the cooling system? I've scoured the outside of the motor and can't find any fuel leaks, but the coolant that's supposed to be red came out green, and I drained some of the fluid from the resevoir and it appeared to be separated, green on top, red on the bottom. I'm now at a loss,and need some help. Any and all help would be appreciated, and TYIA!

_IronPig_

Old 07-07-2016, 01:53 PM
_IronPig_
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE!!!

After digging deeper, and a lot more forums searching, as well as several phone calls...its been learned and confirmed that (hangs head and gently sobs) it's the beginning of a head gasket failure. Needless to say, the truck is in the shop, and now instead of making me money, for the time being, it'll be costing me money until she's fixed...Ugh!

_IronPig_