the best 351w performance heads for the money

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 11:17 AM
E150X
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right , BEST for the MONEY. Not the most expensive. I don't like the idea of running aluminum heads on the street. Not for long anyway.

Old 08-25-2003, 11:25 AM
StrangeRanger
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Gt-40 3 lines have bolt holes that fit the 351, you need a trick install kit to put them on a 302. Don't know about the GT-40Ps

Old 08-25-2003, 11:33 AM
DW2455
Posting Guru

well i wasn't refering to aluminum heads. but now that you mention it, ford,gm, and especialy the japs. have been putting aluminum heads on cast iron blocks for years. it not uncomon at all for a toyota to run 200k mls. if its been taken care of,
a good many manufactures are running all aluminum motors. so what the problem? DW

Old 08-25-2003, 11:56 AM
E150X
Senior User

Blown head gaskets, warped heads.... I know, with proper installation they should last whatever but it's a truck right and you do truck things in it right? And the first time you pop a radiator hose or somethin in the boonies then.... Ford has plenty of recalls labeled "head gasket". Is it really the gasket? I love Fords. Thanks to their EFI I haven't had to work on my vehicles for 15 years.

Old 08-25-2003, 12:11 PM
DW2455
Posting Guru

your perinoid! i do understand what your saying but your talking a few cases out of tens of thousands on the road. and i know this isnt always the situation, but consider that alot of problem, (truth be known) go back to poor maintence and up keep,! for example imports, i've seen many come in with engine damage over 100k mls, cause? broken timing belt that should have been replaced at 50-60k mls. warped head: cause? run hot , 6yrs old 145k mls never had belt and hoses. i mean real if you look deep enough ther are some factory flaws, but not near as many as people make it out to be. DW

Old 08-25-2003, 12:19 PM
E150X
Senior User

351 info here

Old 08-25-2003, 12:26 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru

the problems with the first generation of aluminum heads have been resolved for the past 10 years. Anything made by Edelbrock is going to better than stock, without question. If you use a head gasket that is designed for bi-metal engines (alum. heads, iron block) then you will never have a problem. Fel-Pro and Mr. Gasket both make them for about the same price as a regular iron-head gasket. Edelbrock's aluminum heads have a 3/4" deck on them to assure perfect sealing at all times, which is almost twice the thickness of the stock deck, and the head still weighs 50 pounds less than the stockers. Imagine that, with 30 years of research and develoment, Edelbrock and AFR alike have nearly perfected the Windsor V8 cylinder head. I run World Windsor Jr.s on my daily driver, and next time I swap cams I'm gonna slap a pair of Edelbrock RPM's or AFR 165's, still not sure yet. Considering that every Edelbrock part I've ever owned has made outstanding performance increases while making drivability even better, I'm probably going to use Edelbrock. I love the Windsor Jr's, but you can't run anything but premium with 10:1 compression with an iron head. Edelbrocks have slightly larger chambers, and aluminum heat dissipation which will let me run my 87 grade with 9.8:1 compression.

Old 08-25-2003, 12:37 PM
E150X
Senior User

Ha ha. You're right I am paranoid but then I need a very reliable vehicle that is why I'm putting mine back together stock. Took me a while to warm up to EFI and maybe someday I'll warm up to Al heads but you have to admit the GT-40p is the best SB head Ford made.
Later

Old 08-25-2003, 12:48 PM
DW2455
Posting Guru

Okay im tired or arguing about this! we need somthing new to argue about. DW

Old 08-25-2003, 01:10 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru

DW,

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2...ng/index.shtml

No, not total whatever-you-said, just the facts.

Macho, chest-beating, gonna-have-the-last word will backfire, my friend. I've been there and here's a little advice; think twice before you post. You might regret the tone of voice you post with.

Your friend in Fords.

Last edited by pcmenten; 08-25-2003 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 04:03 PM
DW2455
Posting Guru

Originally posted by pcmenten

Macho, chest-beating, gonna-have-the-last word will backfire, my friend. I've been there and here's a little advice; think twice before you post. You might regret the tone of voice you post with.

Your friend in Fords.
What are you talking about? You stated your thoughts i stated mine. i cant speak for anyone else but i'm not mad, I am the way i am, dont read in to my post, more than there is, i talk directly and to the point and usualy say what i think, dont take anything i say personaly, because of this most people missunderstand me all together when they dont even know me, thats okay i'm used to that.
the comment about finding a new subject to argue about was joke! but i apologize, bow and back out of this discusion, see guys in another thread on another day DW

Old 08-25-2003, 06:05 PM
pcmenten
Posting Guru

DW, I'm quoting you here;

but this whole debate got started cause (pcmenten) said early 70's production heads with a home port job would out performe aftermarket head, and that is TOTAL BULL SH.. ! and anyone who has high performance/racing engine experience knows that.!

...and now I quote myself...

but the 71 through 75 heads. Dirt cheap, big valves, small quench chambers and good ports. If you have them street ported (you can do it yourself) they will flow like aftermarket heads.

I said they would flow like aftermarket heads. I did not say they would outperform aftermarket heads. The title of this thread is "the best 351 performance heads for the money". I nailed it, and you went crazy.

Now I'm quoting the FordMuscle.com web 'zine article...

With prices ranging from about $650 to well over $1500 for a good set of bolt-on heads many of us can't swing that without seriously compromising our credit ratings and good standing with our significant other. We here at Fordmuscle have lived through that and tried a cheaper alternative- porting stockers ourselves. The results were pleasantly surprising. A set of '69 351 Windsor heads actually flowed as well as box stock Edelbrock aluminum castings once larger valves were installed. Even more impressive, was that this was only the second set of heads this author had ever ported.

DW. your potty mouth and your never-wrong gotta-have-the-last-word are a real disservice to this board. If you can't come up with a creative contribution, why bother posting.

To everybody else, the idea of porting early 351 heads is not mine. It's a good idea that's been around for a long time. You just have to dig to get the info. Do a web search on Buddy Rawls to see where this information comes from. And check out FordMuscle's web site for how to get it done.

Real hot-rodders don't just buy stuff, they fix it to make it work better.

Have fun.

Last edited by pcmenten; 08-25-2003 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:13 PM
DW2455
Posting Guru

Well i apologized and your still at it!
are you up set cuz i said BULL SH..?? man, grow up! Later guys! DW

Old 08-25-2003, 09:39 PM
TorqueKing
Posting Guru

Paul's certainly not just running his mouth about nothing, he never does. The idea of home porting yielding such awesome results is disturbing to everybody who has laid down a grand or more for hi-po heads, but nothing could be more relevant to this thread. I have news for those of you who don't beleive in porting: there's not a single race car in the NHRA, IHRA, or Nascar that doesn't have a heavily modified cylinder head. In fact, the GM guys, including Warren Johnson and son Kurt Johnson (NHRA Pro-Stock Champions) both use a production cylinder head to top off their 1,300 HP all-throttle-no-bottle 6-second doorslammers. Personally, I like the design features of aftermarket heads, like the aluminum material, extra deck thickness, improved port locations, and sturdier valvetrain support, but you have to at least take your hats off to those who take an E7TE paper weight, a dremel tool, and a stock short block and blow your doors off at the strip, and all the way to the Piggly Wiggly. He said it best, Hot Rodding is not just about mixing parts sometimes, it's about creating what you want, and making it work. Rock on Paul. TK

Old 08-25-2003, 10:04 PM
DW2455
Posting Guru

TorqueKing, hello neighbor, i was born and raised out side augusta ga. anyway, tordueking, listen to what im saying, maybe im not saying it correctly, but i never said you cant port production heads in to good peices, but the comment was made that the early 70 casting would out flo aftermarket head, but its not gona happen with the average mechanic sticking a die grinder in them, its just not that simple, theres more to it than just hogging out the ports. if your gona send people in this direction then by all means tell the whole story, in all honesty how many people, (average joes) do you know that can take a junk yard head and make it flow and build power, like a WORLD PRODUCTS WINDSOR JR, OR ROUSH 200 cast iron head? I know plenty of guys with some serious haulin A.. rides ther very good mechanics and engine builders but not many will tel you they could port head like that, especialy with out a flow bench to know the results, your average guy goes and buys a set of heads junk yard cores, has them magna fluxed, valve job spring heights and pressures checked and goes home get out his die grinder spends hour working on them and then screws one the heads up? wheres that leave him, i dont have a problem with PCMENTEN, but for him to tell me that i dont do the forum justice, and critisize my use of words, accuse me of being a bully? comon get real here! i dont think anyone got on here to be anyones mother! go back and read the first post, the info is not so much wrong as is missleading, thats as much of a injustice as anything. DW

Quick Reply: the best 351w performance heads for the money