1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Anyone get victory over p0340 fault code? desperate :(

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 01:56 PM
econolinemanor
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Given your mileage and future use, I would get a new Oil and Water Pump while it was apart and think about Intake Gaskets.................

Old 07-09-2016, 03:48 PM
deezdrama
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Getting ready to start pulling parts and decided to do a little more reading. Not finding much results for the e350 6.8 timing repair. I did read about a guy not being able to remove his valve covers and he was told he would have to lift the body to pull them.
Wondering if this is the case or if I would only need to move them back a couple inches and not fully remove them to get the job done.

Old 07-09-2016, 05:46 PM
econolinemanor
Senior User
Basically it's the same setup for all 'Van' 2 valve 4.6/5.4/6.8s Mod engines, I would check the rear oil return ports in the heads for any pieces of the chain guides and clean things up while the "covers are off". You listed the mileage between 150-199,000 so it's make it or break it time if you want another 100,000 +............lol

Old 07-09-2016, 07:40 PM
deezdrama
Senior User
Whatsup with these fan pulley bolts? They are hitting the back of the hex on the shaft keeping them from being loosened any more.

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-2016, 08:13 PM
econolinemanor
Senior User

The Clutch Fan spins off separately with that hex part. If you get stuck on a strange part just look on-line at a parts store for pic of it and that can explain a lot of things..............Might also be reverse threads.

Old 07-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Are you using any kind of a shop manual? Might make this a LOT easier. Here's what I use:

ALLDATAdiy.com Leading Source of Factory Automotive Repair Information

Old 07-10-2016, 06:32 AM
jimandnena
Elder User
Originally Posted by deezdrama
Whatsup with these fan pulley bolts? They are hitting the back of the hex on the shaft keeping them from being loosened any more.

One solution:
Performance Tool W80585 - Ford Fan Clutch Wrench Set | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Old 07-10-2016, 08:10 PM
deezdrama
Senior User
Very little progress ...but better than none.

Wrestled with the fan a bit this morning before having to run the kids around. Went to rural king and had an excuse to buy a huge hunkin crescent wrench and a cheap strap wrench.

Didn't get any free time till late in the evening but the crescent and strap wrench got the clutch fan removed no problem. Got the radiator drained and the fan and shroud out.

Ill have to peck at this a couple hours a day after work throughout the week and have more time for it on weekends.

Just watched a 3 part video on replacing timing components on a 4.6 2v which should be similar. Looks pretty straight forward.
Ill probably have to pick up a harm balancer puller if I can find the puller I have and not sure if it will work or not.
I see the guy in the vid using a cam lock tool to lock down the cams as he is tightening the sprockets. Is this tool necessary or are there ways around it? If it will make things easier then ill just pick one up, anyone have a link to the one I need?

One other question.... Ive seen mention of cam phasers going bad but in the vid I watched there weren't phasers but just sprockets. Im assuming the phasers are on the 3v and sprockets on the 2v . Is that correct?

Old 07-10-2016, 09:22 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

Received 229 Likes on 165 Posts
Very little progress ...but better than none.

Wrestled with the fan a bit this morning before having to run the kids around. Went to rural king and had an excuse to buy a huge hunkin cressent wrench and a cheep strap wrench.

Didnt get any free time till late in the evening but the cresent and strap wrench got the clutch loose fast. Got the radiator drained and the fan and shroud out.

Ill have to peck at this a couple hours a day after work throughout the week and have more time for it on weekends.

Tomorrow will try to have the radiator out and start on the alt,waterpump,tensioner etc.

What tool will I need for the harmonic balancer?
18mm 1/2" drive socket and impact gun to crack loose. Once bolt and washer removed, a bolt grip style puller will remove the crankshaft pulley.

Oh- and what service manual should I pick up?
I would try to access a printed copy of the Ford Workshop Manual if you could.

I have two 4.6 vehicles , a 5.4 , and this 6.8l e350. would any certain manual cross reference well with all vehicles since they are all similar mod motors? (id like to have a physical paper service manual)
The 6.8L V10 is literally a 5.4L V8 with 2 extra cylinders and a balance shaft on the left cylinder head added. The bore and stroke of the 5.4L and 6.8L are identical. The bore of the 4.6, 5.4 and 6.8 are identical. Just another tidbit of dumb, useless information. But that said though, the 5.4L and 6.8L use virtually identical timing procedures (a. k. a. fold the chain in half, line the two links up to the cam and the single link to the crank).

thanks
Valve cover fasteners (fourteen 8mm, possibly ONE 13mm on driver's side valve cover)

Front cover fasteners (two 22mm studs, five 18mm studs, eight 13mm bolts and four 10mm securing oil pan to the bottom of cover)

Power steering pump fasteners (three 10mm bolts)

Water pump (four 13mm bolts)

Hopefully the information above should help keep you busy for awhile.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:25 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

One other question.... Ive seen mention of cam phasers going bad but in the vid I watched there weren't phasers but just sprockets. Im assuming the phasers are on the 3v and sprockets on the 2v . Is that correct?
Only the 3-valve 4.6L and 5.4L engines are equipped with cam phasers. And these engines have never been used in any E-Series applications.

Old 07-10-2016, 09:27 PM
econolinemanor
Senior User
I think at least some of the auto parts stores could rent you a harmonic balance puller and Tom posted a link for shop manual because your going to need the torque specs on everything...........

Old 07-10-2016, 09:29 PM
deezdrama
Senior User
Appreciate it!

Looking at timing kits and wondering if i could get by with the chains,guides,tensioner set or if I should get the one with new sprockets too?

Old 07-10-2016, 09:30 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
I'm just gonna leave these here.

Attached Images
Old 07-10-2016, 09:54 PM
m-chan68
Lead Driver

I'm more interested in coming apart to SEE what we have first, BEFORE we go shopping for yet again more parts.

Old 07-10-2016, 10:26 PM
deezdrama
Senior User
The cam holding tool ive seen referenced as being under $40 but its out of stock everywhere and only one I see on amazon is almost $100

Should I just try to rent one?

Just seen your post m-chan....lol.... I like to plan ahead
Tom..... thanks for the files!

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Anyone get victory over p0340 fault code? desperate :(