6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Few (hopefully) small issues on a possible purchase.

Old 07-01-2016, 11:15 PM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Few (hopefully) small issues on a possible purchase.

Hey all,

I am looking at an 06 F350 with the 6.0 and 5r110. The owner told me of a few issues. I have done some digging and been given some good information so farm but I have a few questions for you all.

1. Truck died and threw a P0231 code a week or two ago and once again sometime recently. I've been doing some digging and it looks like chafed wires may be the cause but has anyone ever seen a resolution to this issue? I'm finding a lot of material where the answer isn't posted.

2. The power steering is extremely weak. Need to turn the wheel back after a turn and it has a good whine. Assuming a replacement would help. Was told there is a 3 and 4 bolt pump, 3 bolt is doable, 4 bolt not so much. How can I tell? Or how far do I have to tear it apart to tell?

3. Rear window is having closing issues. Said window and motor were replaced so he thinks it it the switch. How involved of a fix is it to replace the switch?

Thanks for all the help in advance, I have been doing some digging on the issues but it is way past my bedtime and I have not been very successful.

Have a good weekend,

Baatzy

Old 07-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
Just bumping this up again. Anyone have any thoughts on the P0231? About all I've found is maybe this maybe that, no definitive answers, or even a common fix.

Thanks,

Baatzy

Old 07-03-2016, 08:49 AM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
Regarding the rear window, I assume you mean a rear door window? If so switch is really easy to replace, very easy to take off door panel. If you mean a power rear glass window still sort of easy as the switch is in the dash.

Is the power steering reservoir full? If so then most likely needs a new pump. Not sure why 4 bolt wouldn't be doable?

No idea about the code, sorry.

Have you test driven it while monitoring vitals? Especially EOT and ECT in relation to each other.

Old 07-03-2016, 04:23 PM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
No, it's the rear sliding window. After looking at some pictures online though it looks pretty simple to get behind the dash.

The power steering i didn't check but he said it was full so I trust him on that. He seemed pretty honest and kinda upset that it had those two issues. The 4bolt pump sounds doable but it sounds alot harder than the 3 bolt, but that's all I've heard.

The code is what worries me most. It seems like it could be a $20 issue or a $1000 issue.

Didn't get to test drive it myself because of the steering and code issues. I rode with but didn't have a chance to hook anything up to it. EGR is deleted along with gaskets, studs and all that other stuff done, so I'm assuming it is within spec, but I do plan on offering less because I couldn't drive it and watch gauges.

Thanks for the help so far.

Baatzy

Old 07-03-2016, 04:50 PM
tfunk88
Fleet Mechanic
Received 98 Likes on 66 Posts
Hopefully if the head bolts were replaced by studs the oil cooler was also changed, as when you're in there anyway it's the perfect time to replace it.

Power steering pump is just a PITA-ness issue, I wouldn't think it would be that bad based on its location...but I haven't done one.

I'll see if I can dig something up from some diesel mechanic friends about the code.

Old 07-03-2016, 05:03 PM
CPB1
Posting Guru
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The code has to do with the fuel pump, could be wiring, could be a bad pump. The pump is down under the driver inside the frame rail. These trucks don't have a fuel pressure gauge.

Old 07-03-2016, 09:27 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 58 Likes on 41 Posts
If you can't drive it or hook gauges up to it that's a deal breaker for me

Unless it's dirt cheap

Old 07-03-2016, 09:40 PM
Jmoen7
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just went through that issue with my power steering, it whines, but isn't losing power. If you can turn fine, but return is the issue, check your front U-Joints if 4x4. Spin them in the knuckle by hand and see if there's any stiff spots, anything to keep the steering from going back to center. The power steering doesn't do this itself, it's the combination of the trucks alignment and caster and other variables that makes the wheels go back to center

Old 07-05-2016, 07:28 AM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
The problem with the code is it could be all those. Through the reading it seems like it could basically be any part of the wiring system for the fuel pump, and that there isn't a common failure point. At least that's how it seems from what I have read.

The power steering issue is starting to look like it could be a fair amount of work as well. Hmm....

I am leaning towards "no" on this truck, because of the issues, and because I couldn't drive it myself, but at the same time, the guy seemed to be really open and honest, so I may try to get him talked down.

We'll see though,

Also, where do all you guys look for finding trucks? I've been using craigslist and car-gurus but there's gotta be more trucks out there than what I'm finding.

Thanks for everything so far.

Baatzy

Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Granted,, if there's shaky looking wires to the fuel pump,, it could be wiring. But I've seen this code multiple times and every time I've been confronted with it,, it was the pump itself. Oreillys has a lifetime pump that I've had great luck with. It's about half the cost.

I wouldn't be scared of this truck just because of those issues. The ps pump,, I pull the rad (to keep it safe while pulling the pulley) then the fan n stator,, then the job is a breeze. If you go with the truck,, and go for the pump,, either get the Teflon oring for the pressure line,, or just replace both lines connected to the pump. I replace the pulley every time too. It can be used twice, but I don't chance it. Oreillys has the pulley and lines for a decent price. But go Ford on the pump!!!!! PERIOD!!!!

Old 07-05-2016, 12:19 PM
Baatzy
Laughing Gas
Anthony, thanks for your response. When you encounter that code do you have a good method to diagnose it as the pump, or do you just replace the pump and see?

The pump sounds like a fair amount of work, but doable. What do you mean by fan and stator?

Also, if I were to take it to a shop and have these issues looked at and fixed, do you have a rough number as to what it would it cost?

Thanks,

Baatzy

Old 07-05-2016, 12:52 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Baatzy
Anthony, thanks for your response. When you encounter that code do you have a good method to diagnose it as the pump, or do you just replace the pump and see?

The pump sounds like a fair amount of work, but doable. What do you mean by fan and stator?

Also, if I were to take it to a shop and have these issues looked at and fixed, do you have a rough number as to what it would it cost?

Thanks,

Baatzy
He means the radiator cooling fan and the pulse width modulated clutch that drives the fan.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:59 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
The fuel pump is a 15 min job. Most of mine were intermittent issues. If you are getting the code now and the truck is a no start. It's simple,, see if you have 12v at the pump koeo. If you do,, and the pump isnt running,, there ya go. But remember the pump times out if the truck isn't running.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:01 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
The stator is the plastic deflector that is between the fan n engine. The ps pump is doable leaving all that on,, but imho pulling them makes it "almost" fun to do. Lol

Old 07-05-2016, 02:06 PM
run6.0run
Postmaster
I would approx about $1000 with fluid and diag. That's with an Oreillys fuel pump,, and a Ford power steering pump. That would include a thorough flush of the ps system and the new pulley. Might allow +- 100 in case new lines are needed-wanted. I always mention new lines,, but not everyone does it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Few (hopefully) small issues on a possible purchase.