Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Engine Hours on New F-150

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 12:37 PM
benwalt
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine Hours on New F-150

Hi all, I haven't been around in quite a while, and when I was, I was over on the F-250 side. I recently sold the F-250 as I really don't need the the capacity/power anymore, and this week downsized to an F-150XLT with the 2.7L.

Really loving the truck so far, but have a question maybe someone can help me with. Part of it might be my tendency to worry that I got screwed somewhere in a new vehicle purchase, which I seem to do every time I buy a new vehicle.

Anyway, I didn't check it till I got home, but saw that the engine hour meter showed 5 hours with 2 hours idling. Mileage when I bought the truck on Tuesday was 28, and I drove it 30 miles home. Given limited driving since then (just went to 6 hours today) it probably just went to 5 hours right before I bought it.

My question is, would that be considered normal / acceptable for hours vs mileage on a new truck on the lot? It looked like it was on the lot for about two weeks before I bought it (or at least that's when it showed up on their web page). Doing some ballparking, if they were moving it around the lot every day for washing or display or what have you, I suppose they could put around 20min of driving at 5mph on it, plus idle time, plus maybe a test drive or two before me, to get to those numbers.

So it all could be perfectly normal and expected - I have no idea. The only reason I'm a little leery is because the other thing that occurred was that first they couldn't find the keys to it for my test drive (found them after 30 min), then after I bought it and the salesman was going over things with me, I asked him to pop the glovebox so I could get the keyless entry code from the manual packet and make sure the code worked. Turned out there was no manual, no code card, and no spare key in the glovebox. No explanation given other than "I'll find out what they did with it and call you in a couple of days when we find it. If they lost it we'll cut you a new key and get you a manual". Still waiting for the call. So the missing stuff got me a little paranoid about the 5 hours and 28 miles.

Maybe someone in the know could weigh in on what engine hours might be expected for a new car on the lot and allay my fears?

Old 07-01-2016, 01:00 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts
If it was on the lot, you could accumulate quite a few hours with just the typical talk while idling. I think we put almost an hour idling while the dealer explained all the geegaws on our new XLT. Ours had (IIRC) around 16 or 17 miles, and it was brand new from the factory. If it had been on the lot, I would not be surprised to see 3 times that.

Old 07-01-2016, 01:25 PM
shatfieldj
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't check mine at delivery, but I just went outside now. With 1450 miles it's showing 80 engine hours and 25 idle hours. That should give you some idea. On a side note, when my truck came in, I picked it up the next day. While we were signing papers I saw it had 28 miles on it. I asked how that could be since it just came from the factory. The manager didn't know. He said it could of been tested at the factory. I just left it at that. One thought about your keys and manual. Was your truck a dealer trade? I know dealer packets can get screwed up that way with missing items etc. just a thought.

Old 07-01-2016, 02:21 PM
benwalt
Senior User
Yeah, having been on the lot, I could see hours build up. I guess I just figured there might be more idle hours in the five. Though I don't know exactly how idle hours are computed.

On the dealer trade, I didn't even think of that. The closest dealer to them is about 20 miles away, so that's a possibility. My 4Runner was a dealer trade, though they made the deal specifically for me, and delivered it that day, so I'm sure they ensured nothing was missing. The only thing that went bad with that one was whoever their transfer driver was must have once been the valet in that Seinfeld episode, because the BO - wow!

Old 07-02-2016, 12:25 AM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
It could have been a dealer trade. The previous dealer I went to (now closed) removed all the owners manual's and key cards from the vehicles. They did this because they found out people would copy the numbers, then come back later & steal stuff from the vehicles.
I don't remember how many hours my F250 had on it at first. I did drive it 2 days & put 88 miles on it before purchasing. At that time it had 4 hours on the meter. I think it counts idle hours any time the engine is running and the truck is not moving.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:14 AM
j.grif
Elder User
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Likely picked up two or three hours just getting loaded at the factory loading ramp, mine showed at least three hours and it was an ordered truck, wasn't on the dealers lot more than half a day when I picked it up.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:33 AM
benwalt
Senior User
Thanks guys, that puts my mind at ease.

Now if the dang sales guy would just return my calls to his "call me for anything personal cell phone" (which is probably a Google voice number) so I can get my spare key and use that to get the keyless entry code, I'll be set.

Though I already downloaded the PDFs of the manuals, I still want the hardcopies in the case as well, so I can pass them along whenever I sell the truck. Plus it's nice to have a handy hardcopy for when I forget what buttons to press for what. Never had that problem with the 08 F-250 and the simple dash, but hey, progress!

Old 07-02-2016, 10:36 AM
xr7gt390
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
You can request hard copy owners manuals from Ford through to owners portal on their web site.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:07 PM
benwalt
Senior User
Originally Posted by xr7gt390
You can request hard copy owners manuals from Ford through to owners portal on their web site.

Is there a URL I'm missing for that? I went to "order copies of this vehicle's information" at the Ford website, but it goes a Helm site where they want $30 for the manual.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:11 PM
supeRobertduty
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I think you're in the ballpark hours wise , but I wouldn't of taken delivery without all the documents and keys first, you'd be surprised how fast they find things when the deal hinges on it. After they have your money the incentive is gone. The only thing I can suggest is tell the salesman that you haven't filled out the survey yet and if he doesn't do what he promised you your survey will reflect that.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:24 PM
benwalt
Senior User
Originally Posted by supeRobertduty
I think you're in the ballpark hours wise , but I wouldn't of taken delivery without all the documents and keys first, you'd be surprised how fast they find things when the deal hinges on it. After they have your money the incentive is gone. The only thing I can suggest is tell the salesman that you haven't filled out the survey yet and if he doesn't do what he promised you your survey will reflect that.
Unfortunately, and it's my fault, I didn't check for manuals and keys until after I wrote the check and was getting the vehicle overview from the salesman. I've never had stuff missing before, so didn't even think about it. If I hadn't asked to test the keyless entry code, I wouldn't have known till I got home.

They were big on asking me to please give them high marks on online reviews and the survey, so I will definitely hold that over their head if they don't deliver. If I don't hear back by Tuesday, after the holiday, I'll probably drive back out there and escalate to a manager.

Old 07-02-2016, 01:05 PM
shatfieldj
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is certainly a strange one. They didn't even do a proper delivery. Like Robert said, I would call right now and speak to either the GM, or the owner. Someone is around. Weather you already took delivery or not, they need to make it right. You didn't buy a used truck, you were delivered a brand new truck. They didn't follow Ford's protocol. Tell them about the negative review and if that doesn't light a fire, call Ford on Tuesday. Good luck to you.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:53 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by benwalt
Is there a URL I'm missing for that? I went to "order copies of this vehicle's information" at the Ford website, but it goes a Helm site where they want $30 for the manual.
www.motorcraftservice.com. Up top click on "Free Resources", and then "Owner Information".

Old 07-03-2016, 08:24 AM
benwalt
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tom
www.motorcraftservice.com. Up top click on "Free Resources", and then "Owner Information".

Thanks Tom. I'd already downloaded the PDFs. I just wanted the actual hardcopies in the owner's portfolio that's supposed to come with the vehicle (along with the dang spare key).

Old 07-04-2016, 09:37 AM
rmccbride
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have a spray in liner.. That adds a few miles and hours to the truck..

Quick Reply: Engine Hours on New F-150