6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Randomly cuts out when accelerating

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 12:50 PM
ciscofreak
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2013 that randomly stutters or cuts out for a second while accelerating. This happens whether I am slowly accelerating or full throttle. This used to happen once every few months but it is happening more frequently now. It will randomly happen while trying to accelerate on the freeway. The truck feels like it stalls, then takes off.

It feels like it loses boost pressure so maybe a wastegate issue or possibly an EGR valve issue. No codes are set. Anyone experience something like this.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:29 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, been doing it for about 7000 miles now. No codes and have not been able to reproduce it for the dealer. Really ticks me off while pulling the fifth wheel!
The RPMs will stall when going up. Have that on camera, but have no idea why it does this. Thought at first it was either air or fuel related as it's been doing it since I replaced the fuel filters. But, doesn't do it consistently.
Im wondering if it has something to do with the Hill/brake assist holding on when starting off.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:41 PM
ciscofreak
Tuned
Thanks for the response. I swear I have seen my traction control light blinking when the truck did this. This is on dry pavement with no wheel slip at all.

Old 06-30-2016, 03:59 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
When starting from a stop, mine will begin to move and then "buck" a couple of times. The RPMs stop climbing and the truck "stalls" for a split second then it will accelerate like normal. It is MUCH worse when I am pulling the 5er.

Old 06-30-2016, 04:54 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Watch the truck jump at 1100 rpms.. most of the time it does it once or twice, sometimes it does it multiple times.

Old 06-30-2016, 05:01 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Another one. Watch the truck shake. Much more noticeable in truck than on camera!

Old 07-02-2016, 05:47 AM
rdlouks
Mountain Pass
Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
My 2016 F-350 starting doing the same thing a couple weeks ago. I first noticed it at highway speeds (55 MPH) I felt it stumble like it lost a cylinder just before it went into Regen. The last couple times I was sitting at a stoplight. In fact the first time it happened I thought someone hit me because the truck shook so much, but looked in the rear view mirror and no was behind me. If someone finds out the problem. or solution I would be very interested.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:26 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
I wonder if this isn't related to some of the Regen issues like the Jackhammer? Mine has only shuddered once and that was under steady state cruising at 45 when it went into Regen.. Perhaps the ECU update for the Regen issue would help?
I still have not had time to get mine into the dealer. Hopefully this coming week..

Old 07-04-2016, 06:44 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
The only thing I can tell you is that at 21000 miles my truck started running stumbling similar and lack of power after Ford went through the entire truck could find nothing wrong the mechanic recommended that I run a tank of Diesel Extreme cleaner. Apparently its a once a year use product ,truck runs perfect now. Of course this will start a major discussion about adding things to your fuel tank ,but apparently it cleand the varnish that occurs with ultra low sulfur fuel the truck is night and day difference I do it every 6 months do to my high mileage at 30,000 miles now on the truck 6 months , I find every 10000 miles I add it too the truck runs perfect not a bit of oil burning and still pulling 20 miles to the gallon another argument will ensue with that statement take care

Old 07-05-2016, 05:40 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by radium
The only thing I can tell you is that at 21000 miles my truck started running stumbling similar and lack of power after Ford went through the entire truck could find nothing wrong the mechanic recommended that I run a tank of Diesel Extreme cleaner. Apparently its a once a year use product ,truck runs perfect now. Of course this will start a major discussion about adding things to your fuel tank ,but apparently it cleand the varnish that occurs with ultra low sulfur fuel the truck is night and day difference I do it every 6 months do to my high mileage at 30,000 miles now on the truck 6 months , I find every 10000 miles I add it too the truck runs perfect not a bit of oil burning and still pulling 20 miles to the gallon another argument will ensue with that statement take care
I had issues once on my 2011 6.7 and put a gallon of diesel clean in it and fixed it.. my high tech oil burner in the house acted up..did the same that fixed it as well.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:31 AM
zeroo
Cargo Master
Received 493 Likes on 273 Posts
All three of my 6.7's would cut out if you floored it from take off, feels like a 'dead pedal'. Its very annoying especially if your are pulling into traffic and trying to accelerate fast. I think that has to do with the software. I have even tried to turn off traction control to see if it makes a difference.

But, If you are driving along and ease into the pedal and get a 'fluttering', or cutting out as you press the pedal and then it goes away, sounds regen related. The jackhammer is unmistakable with its ping but the same condition can be very subtle, I can best describe it as it feels like the tranny is slightly jerking in between gears, but this exists only in regen. If your sure your not in regen then who knows what it is.

Old 07-05-2016, 06:36 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
No. Nowhere near regen. I've heard there is a new flash out, so I'm gonna try that before we get into parts for her...I still think it has to do with the hull/brake assist... with all of the electronics on these things, who knows.

Old 07-05-2016, 07:47 AM
capt caper
Fleet Mechanic
Received 86 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by golfmedik
No. Nowhere near regen. I've heard there is a new flash out, so I'm gonna try that before we get into parts for her...I still think it has to do with the hull/brake assist... with all of the electronics on these things, who knows.
I would still dump a gallon of Power Service Diesel Kleen in the tank and run it.. I've dumped many gallons into the 6.7 over the years and never had issues.. traded in my 2011 with 125K still running strong and smooth.. even after DEF in the fuel tank two times early on ....that's why I dumped a gallon at a time..for one.. Change your fuel filter too. You might of got some crap in a fill up..You will be amazed at the crud it will pick up and effect the engine.. ask me how I know..

Old 07-05-2016, 08:31 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
I run Diesel Kleen in every tank. I have thought about the fuel filters but about 4k more miles to go. What's more concerning it that's intermittent and mostly does when hooked to the 5er.

Old 07-05-2016, 09:21 AM
PlayersZ28
Cargo Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine has done it forever. Usually when turning and pulling away from a stop. It feels like a gas engine would do when it has a low rpm misfire.

From a dead stop I can't floor it to pull out or it'll just sit there, figured that was a diesel thing, I need to pedal it a bit to get the turbo spooled in order to get power from a dead stop.

I'll try running some diesel clean.

Quick Reply: Randomly cuts out when accelerating