Sponsored by:

Wheel hub assembly purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 07:24 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel hub assembly purchase?

What I've learned so far with my roaring issue is.. my front tires have a leaks, I have a pinion seal leak and feel confident that the roaring is coming from the front. After the alignment the roaring was only a low droning because tire pressure was up, but after losing air pressure the lion is back. Also, my auto hubs will go in 4x4 and that's probably why the roaring is louder because I'm driving around in 4x4 because the auto hubs have locked into 4x4.
I'm going to rotate my tires and see what happems. Do you believe with bad front hubs, that will cause the hubs to stay locked/activate? I'm 94% all vaccum lines are good because I switch to 4x4 inside the truck. I know I could purchase mile markers and that will eliminate the auto hub issue, but I want the convenience inside the X to switch from 4x4.
For the guys that have purchased the whole hub assembly. .what did you use and from where? As always, thank you so much!

Old 06-06-2016, 09:59 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Have you considered rebuilding the stock ones? There's write-ups all over the place and I believe a few in the tech sticky.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:57 PM
Pwrgeek
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm in the middle of a huge front end rebuild. Went back with stock motorcraft auto hubs because I too am a fan of the 4x4 ESOF. One easy way to see if your hubs are locked is to watch the u joints and front driveshaft while driving. If they are unlocked then it shouldn't be turning. A GoPro or someone else just walking alongside can see it easily. You can also just jack up one of the front wheels and spin it. If the front driveshaft also spins then your auto hubs are either in lock or shot.

Old 06-07-2016, 06:46 AM
fordboy2
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
If everything is unlocked like its suppose to be you should be able to spin the front drive shaft by hand.

Old 06-07-2016, 08:06 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by fordboy2
If everything is unlocked like its suppose to be you should be able to spin the front drive shaft by hand.
as well as the axles. just reach in grab the u joint yoke and rotate. if the hub is locked the axle will not turn with the tire on the ground. if unlocked it will turn with a firm grip.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:02 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
Have you considered rebuilding the stock ones? There's write-ups all over the place and I believe a few in the tech sticky.
No I haven't, I'm wanting to buy better than oem and I just do not have time.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:05 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Pwrgeek
I'm in the middle of a huge front end rebuild. Went back with stock motorcraft auto hubs because I too am a fan of the 4x4 ESOF. One easy way to see if your hubs are locked is to watch the u joints and front driveshaft while driving. If they are unlocked then it shouldn't be turning. A GoPro or someone else just walking alongside can see it easily. You can also just jack up one of the front wheels and spin it. If the front driveshaft also spins then your auto hubs are either in lock or shot.
Yes, they're locking in and I switched the brand new hubs out. I believe my hubs are toast.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:07 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
as well as the axles. just reach in grab the u joint yoke and rotate. if the hub is locked the axle will not turn with the tire on the ground. if unlocked it will turn with a firm grip.
I did that and hubs was locked in. The joys of rebuilding the front end..replace a worn part..only to find two more.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:24 PM
BroncoRN
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Are those Dorman's any good?

Old 06-07-2016, 01:16 PM
74Mav
Tuned
Originally Posted by Pwrgeek
You can also just jack up one of the front wheels and spin it. If the front driveshaft also spins then your auto hubs are either in lock or shot.
What do the hubs have to do with the front drive shaft? If the hubs are disengaged, and the transfer case is disengaged, turning either axle will cause the drive shaft to spin thru the differential.

Am I wrong about this?

Old 06-07-2016, 01:50 PM
wizkid00104
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If you go to manual hubs, you just have to lock them in on a day you think you will need them. If it is snowing out, I lock them in so I can just switch to 4x4 as needed. If I am taking the truck off road, same reason. But I like manual because I unlock them for highway driving and I know I am not turning extra parts.

Here is some info on the hubs:

Originally Posted by wizkid00104
Here are 2 articles that explain how to remove and disassemble the hubs to clean and service them.

2004 F250 ESOF Hub Service
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/13...l#post14810028

As for the play in the shaft, there is a needle bearing inside the unit bearing that the axle shaft rides on. That is probably toast. There are also axle shaft seals that are probably worn out and need replaced. This post may help with that: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post16123971

All the parts I ordered are in the bottom of that post with prices and where I got them from.

Additional Info
Needle bearings: 2004 F250 Needle Bearing Replacement
Seals: 2004 F250 Ball Joint Replacement

If you are tackling this job and you live in the rust belt, be prepared to order new ABS sensors. The rubber o-ring on them seizes to the unit bearing and the typically just rip apart. You can get new ones from Rock Auto or if you want to just replace the unit bearings (a bit more pricey) they come with sensors installed.

Finally, if you are reusing the old bearings, get one of these adapters from RiffRaff Diesel. Front ABS Grease-able Block Off Fitting for Ford 7.3L 99-04
This allows you to grease the non-serviceable unit bearing. It is cheap insurance to prevent them from wearing out prematurely. Use a good synthetic NGL1 or 2 grease. I prefer AMSOIL.
2004 F250 Front End Service

Hope this helps

Old 06-07-2016, 01:59 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by 74Mav
What do the hubs have to do with the front drive shaft? If the hubs are disengaged, and the transfer case is disengaged, turning either axle will cause the drive shaft to spin thru the differential.

Am I wrong about this?
He said spin a wheel, not the axle

Old 06-07-2016, 02:04 PM
Krazee Matt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by hwybee22
No I haven't, I'm wanting to buy better than oem and I just do not have time.
The hardest part for my swap to manual hubs was getting the originals to break loose and come off the stub shaft and out of the housing. The Warn's I threw on took all of 25 minutes, with the longest part being the spiral lock followed by the cap install purely because I didn't have my screw gun and was stuck with an allen wrench.

Old 06-07-2016, 02:17 PM
74Mav
Tuned
Originally Posted by Krazee Matt
He said spin a wheel, not the axle
Yeah. I get it now. Not one of my brighter moments today...

Old 06-07-2016, 05:09 PM
hwybee22
Posting Guru
Does anyone have any experience buying the wheel hub assembly?

Quick Reply: Wheel hub assembly purchase?