1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Anyone put a dual exhaust system on an van?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 10:23 AM
1995droptopz
Freshman User
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Anyone put a dual exhaust system on an van?

I have a 1996 Club Wagon Chateau with the 5.8L and thinking about putting a dual exhaust setup on it. Anyone else do this? I would like to use a flowmaster muffler single inlet/dual outlet and branch off.

Other idea is doing a single outlet before the rear tire with a rectangle tip like a NASCAR.

Pictures or tips for either setup appreciated.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:14 PM
95CWChateau
Cross-Country
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I used to run a full dual exhaust system on most everything...(used to). I wanted to free up the exhaust on my '95 Chateau 5.8L, but didn't want the drone.

My experience with the Flowmaster is that they sound great for a week or so, then I usually got tired of the drone. The van with it's large surface area under, and the vast interior cabin make quite the sound amplifying box, (think giant acoustic guitar on wheels) and a loud exhaust is just that much louder in a van.

I studied the factory single system and realized the real cork was the cats. Mine were in good condition and I didn't want to spend the money needed to replace all of them with high flow units.

I chose the largest case Magnaflow single in/out I could fit, and kept the rest of the system, since if in good condition would outlast even aftermarket aluminized pipe.

I'm pretty pleased with it as it is near stock at idle and not noisy any other time except in OD at 55-60 mph, I get a slight drone if lugging along, which disappears instantly when OD is locked out.

I often travel with passengers on day long road trips, and it's nice be able to talk to others and not give everyone a headache. The internal piping on the factory muffler necks down quite a bit, and has a turn or two. The Magnaflow is a straight through design, and I did/do notice a very small difference in breathing. Also seemed to not shift out of OD quite as fast when approaching small hills. As far as the sound, most folks don't notice, a few old-school Ford folks will ask, if they have a sharp ear.

If you tow anything exhaust out the back sound reflects off the trailer, and gets it dirty too. Exit in front of the wheels, while cool is noisier than the factory behind the wheel exit. Gas tank and rear A/C system plumbing make it difficult for duals as well.

Here's a post about towing I used earlier, that also discusses exhaust.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Optimize Ford E150 For Towing

"And that's all that I have to say about that..."

The following users liked this post: