Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rust Prevention On Clean Truck

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 12:25 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 963 Likes on 762 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim_Philly
Is there a way to get up in between the inner and outer layers of the bedside fenders and clean any crap/gunk out before squirting some oil in there?
Yes just remove the plastic splash guards at the front front and rear of the inner wheel opening.

Old 06-30-2016, 01:07 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
why is it rust free? because it was well cared for and washed regularly? no.because it was a southern truck so it never saw salted roads.

no one ever finds that pristine barn find where the owner says; i washed,waxed it during the winter months and painted the underbody with paint over rust paint or oil soaked it,so that's why it's in such good shape 50 years latter.

no lol.it remained a survivor because it was from a location like your truck is from or the truck was put up during the winter months.
this is why my '68 t-bird is solid,even though it lived all it's life in New England.48 years old! in better shape than my truck and some 5 year old cars that drove on winter roads.there was no por15 or oil soaking involved.

so in summary.if you want to keep that cream puff a cream puff.put it away when it snows.run a little front wheel drive beater car and let that get eaten instead.

if you could protect them and keep them just as good in the winter,people wouldn't just drive their classic rides on good roads but we would take them out in the winter too.nothing can come close to putting them away for winter.nothing.

you've got to ask yourself; did you buy a clean,rust free classic truck to keep or did you buy a classic truck to just use as another used car and toss it out when your done with it,or do a complete frame off resto when the time comes,cus it will require it if you drive it on winter roads.
^^^ that right there pretty much sums it up^^^

But if you want to prolong the inevitable, here is what I found to work pretty well.

1. WASH the ENTIRE truck(dont worry about the top painted surface, but worry about the COMPLETE underside, frame, boxed areas, radiator support, bumpers etc)

2. Then let the truck dry for a good week.

3. Get yourself a CASE of fluid film and the 24" wand.

4. spray INSIDE the doors, rockers, radiator support, fenders, wheel arches, cab corners, bed crossmember, tailgate etc. ANYWHERE you have a trapped area you cannot readily get a garden hose.

5. then spray the ENTIRE underside of the truck. Frame, bottom of cab, bottom of bed, inside of bed sides, bottom of rad support, etc. EVERYTHING.

6. DO NOT GARAGE YOUR TRUCK IN THE WINTER. All garaging does is keep the temp warmer and the salt MORE active. Salt becomes active at 10-15*. In a garage at 50* it is EATING YOUR TRUCK ALIVE. Leave the truck outside in the cold, it is much better for it

7. Wash the truck when ever you can, preferably once a week in the winter and again, dont worry about the top. THE UNDERSIDE is where it counts.

I do fluid film in the Early winter(before any snow) and again in the late spring(after they are done with the salt and calcium)

I do not like oil because it washes off to easily and it drips off making a complete mess

Old 07-01-2016, 12:00 PM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
^^^ that right there pretty much sums it up^^^

But if you want to prolong the inevitable, here is what I found to work pretty well.

1. WASH the ENTIRE truck(dont worry about the top painted surface, but worry about the COMPLETE underside, frame, box areas, radiation support, bumpers etc)

2. Then let the truck dry for a good week.

3. Get yourself a CASE of fluid film and the 24" wand.

4. spray INSIDE the doors, rockers, radiation support, fenders, wheel arches, cab corners, bed crossmember, tailgate etc. ANYWHERE you have a trapped area you cannot readily get a garden hose.

5. then spray the ENTIRE underside of the truck. Frame, bottom of cab, bottom of bed, inside of bed sides, bottom of rad support, etc. EVERYTHING.

6. DO NOT GARAGE YOUR TRUCK IN THE WINTER. All garaging does is keep the temp warmer and the salt MORE active. All is only active at 10-15*. In a garage at 50* it is EATING YOUR TRUCK ALIVE. Leave the truck outside in the cold, it is much better for it

7. Wash the truck when ever you can preferably once a week in the winter and again, dont worry about the top. THE UNDERSIDE is where it counts.

I do fluid film in the Early winter(before any snow) and agin in the lat spring(after they are done with the salt and calcium)

I do not like oil because it washes off to easily and it drips off making a complete mess
x2 on not garaging it if it's dirty and below freezing. Frozen water isn't wet. The benefit of oil is that you get 5qt for free every 5k.

What do you use for a sprayer? I can't seem to get a cheap one that will spray it on like heavy mist from a garden hose (I'm tempted to try a garden hose nozzle).

Old 07-01-2016, 12:10 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I use lawn and garden sprayers ... With metal tips and/or wands.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~

Old 07-01-2016, 09:31 PM
DeathRangerofDeath
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Any info on Ziebart? I looked into rust prevention and there aren't any FluidFilm people anywhere near where I'll be. I won't be able to do this myself as I'll be in an apartment for a year.

Old 07-02-2016, 06:05 AM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by DeathRangerofDeath
Any info on Ziebart? I looked into rust prevention and there aren't any FluidFilm people anywhere near where I'll be. I won't be able to do this myself as I'll be in an apartment for a year.
Fluid film comes in a SPRAY CAN it takes about 1 hour to do the WHOLE truck.

Old 07-02-2016, 08:48 AM
bbf385
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Conanski
Up here in Canada we have much the same winter road conditions that you do in Penn and the only thing I have seen that works effectively is an annual Krown application that is sprayed onto all underbody part and into the inner fender cavities. This stuff stays semi liquid and creeps up the fender panels some but come spring it's easy enough to clean off the sheet metal. If you can find a good shop that does a thorough job and religiously reapply every year you can extend a vehicles life indefinitely with this stuff, and you just have to accept that it's not possible to have an dry oil free truck if you plan to drive in this environment year round.
This. Anything other than Krown is a waste of time.
Guy I know has a '97 Chev pick up. Daily driven year round and sprayed with Krown yearly since new. It doesn't have any rust on the body at all. Surface on the frame, etc.

Old 07-02-2016, 12:48 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by bbf385
This. Anything other than Krown is a waste of time.
Guy I know has a '97 Chev pick up. Daily driven year round and sprayed with Krown yearly since new. It doesn't have any rust on the body at all. Surface on the frame, etc.
Anything done YEARLY makes a HUGE difference. People think they do it once and never worry about it again(wrong)

Old 07-02-2016, 04:36 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
How many spray cans of fluid film does it take to do a through job on a Crew Cab for example?

-Enjoy

Old 07-02-2016, 06:19 PM
Fastback460
Posting Guru
Will the fluid film still help if applied over POR-15?

Old 07-02-2016, 07:44 PM
blacklab1
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Will Krown get into areas that have been undercoated? Do you get rid of the loose flaking stuff first?

Old 07-02-2016, 08:46 PM
Diesel_Brad
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
How many spray cans of fluid film does it take to do a through job on a Crew Cab for example?

-Enjoy
About 6-8

And YES fluid film works over top of paint since it will go places the POR15 cannot get to(like Inside bed crossmember, Inside fenders, Inside bed wheel arches, see where I am going with this

Old 07-02-2016, 11:06 PM
DeathRangerofDeath
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad
About 6-8

And YES fluid film works over top of paint since it will go places the POR15 cannot get to(like Inside bed crossmember, Inside fenders, Inside bed wheel arches, see where I am going with this
Good to know. Perhaps I'll have to find someplace to do it myself, not gunna fly in an apt parking lot. I'm going to keep lookin and hopefully find someone to do the first winter for me though. Maybe I'm missing some places.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:27 PM
jaagen
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeathRangerofDeath
Good to know. Perhaps I'll have to find someplace to do it myself, not gunna fly in an apt parking lot. I'm going to keep lookin and hopefully find someone to do the first winter for me though. Maybe I'm missing some places.
As an apartment maintenance manager ask them if there is a corner you can do it in. At my place I have a place that's shaded and in a corner that it would look like your just under the truck.