1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

doing hutch / harpoon and have question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 06:35 PM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
You might want to consider putting a pump in the tank. That way you have a pusher pump and it won't allow air to enter the system (other than entrained air). Pushing fuel from inside the tank always made sense to me in a diesel, no air leaks to contend with...Bosch makes a nice pump which drops right in.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:35 AM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts
again you are on target.. the mr gasket which is rated for gas and not both gas and diesel is a bit slow. they are rated for 40ish gal hr,, which is almost 1.2 gal a min.

there are units better suited for diesel and they do like .33 gal a min. the need for speed is not all that great as a nice steady flow will do the trick.. plus with the tank mounted above the fuel intake port there will be a lot of flow at first, gravity is a natural pump, and when you get to about half of aux tank it mite slow down to pump qty only.

in reality a pump is not really needed as the natural flow will work i would bet.

might need to start the flow at 1/2 tank rather than 3/4 level. the thought is to make sure the aux tank get emptied with fuel left in main tank to know how much is felt.

I got the port drilled and taped in rear of tank and a 25 ft spool of 1/4" line to plumb the deal in the future..

now to get it all put back up, new hose clamps, fuel filter at pump and aux tank port taped and ready to go and see how it goes.

Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
I don't do any of that fooling with return line in the tank. It's not necessary.

That Mr Gasket pump will be S L O W.... I'd recommend a stock 7.3 super duty pump if you're set on using a pump.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:51 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
...I don't do any of that fooling with return line in the tank...
I noticed that.

Old 07-05-2016, 10:35 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,889 Likes on 1,140 Posts
Mr Gasket makes a 'green' pump that is for diesel. But it says 'not for fuel injection systems' on the package. Lol.

I have used that pump as a pusher pump for WVO conversions on Mercedes, VW's, etc.

People have a tendency to way over-engineer things IMHO. I come from the K.I.S.S. school.......

The in-tank mods are EASY and CHEAP to do 'my way' and the ball check valve mounted in the vent hose for transferring fuel is stone-age simple and works really well. If you use a pump, how will you know when your primary tank is FULL and when to turn off the pump???

Old 07-17-2016, 10:16 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
So, i got the filters removed in the existing holder in tank but elected to just let it stay in but I did cut the rubber hose and cap one where it returned to the filter housing so returning fuel is dumped in the extension tube in rear of tank now.

got the new fuel line run from tank to the metal line clamping with double fuel injection type clamps. On the return side I had cut the existing line and figured that was not the best thing to do as that side is not really a big deal with air so I used the click lock on end of new hose to metal line.

One issue i ran into was the larger fuel hose would not, for some reason, now reach the end of the metal fuel hose coming from side of truck.. it was short by some 1.5 inches.

I tried to preposition tank while putting it back up in mounts, twisting it left and right, move it forward and pull back and could not get it to attach to hose. I wound up having to get a new one at local NAPA, not cheap, which was longer and was cut off to correct length.

I figured with double clamps on all hoses all was good. so i put a filter up by the pump turned on key and it leaks like a sieve.. replaced that one a Mr Gasket glass filter, with the napa inline type again with lots of clamps.

turned on key again and get way less air bubbles so may need to key on prime a couple more times.

has any one installed clear filter up by pump to see how much leakage there is on stock set up vs one that has been modified??

using 3/8 fuel line and the dang filter is 5/16 but i got the clamps TIGHT.. have a couple 3/8 inline filters coming I will change to in a week or so when i get time again.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:42 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
I've done dozens of trucks using all stock fittings except I replace the hose between steel line and pump with 5/16" 30R9 with WIX 33972 filter (it's clear).

None had air issues. The whole idea the quick-connect fittings are a problem is really overblown...

I don't understand what you did in the tank. Just remove that whole mixing chamber thing and extend the 3/8" tubing with a compression union. Simple and bulletproof. I prefer a 90* bend at the end of the tube vs leaving it a 1/4" off the bottom so I get no restriction and can rest directly on bottom of tank.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:46 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
That glass filter is a POS. They leak under vacuum.

Get a WIX 33972 (50mic strainer). I don't think any of the trucks I've installed these on have been replaced. If you don't put garbage in your tank - this filter will basically last forever.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:06 PM
carl2591
Fleet Mechanic
Cool

yeah they do.. POS for sure. I got the wix one you were talking about and better for sure.

now when i went to get fuel it seems like there is a restriction some where. I can only put a bit of fuel flowing and it start backing up to click off handle.

the replacement hose had a little more bend than the OEM one, which for some reason I could not get to refit. I move the tank around and it still comes up 1.5" short of metal fill tube seems like i need to empty and drop tank again and see what the hell is going on.

I know the vent hose was installed and hooked up along with the hose that goes from front to back of tank.

there seem to be a bit of a kink on the main hose at the frame area..

what a PITA..

was thinking with new harpoon mod, I was going to pull the large nozzle fuel handle be amazed with the speed and amount of fuel i could get in it , but the new hose is not right...

That glass filter is a POS. They leak under vacuum.

Get a WIX 33972 (50mic strainer). I don't think any of the trucks I've installed these on have been replaced. If you don't put garbage in your tank - this filter will basically last forever.

Old 07-23-2016, 01:39 PM
dn29626
Cargo Master
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
...replace the hose between steel line and pump with 5/16" 30R9 with WIX 33972 filter (it's clear)...
...remove that whole mixing chamber thing and extend the 3/8" tubing with a compression union...
My truck is very close to Jason's description, and has been for years.