1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99-04: how did you install your double din radio?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 10:43 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
99-04: how did you install your double din radio?

i put 99-04 because i think those bezels are the same, 05-07 i think are different and actually easier (i've heard) to install a double din, because it's a larger factory radio opening.

anyways, do most of you just use the plastic install kits and the radio just attaches to the bezel? even single dins i believe are done this way.

to start, my double din is slightly larger than regular car audio brand units (apline, pioneer, kenwood, etc). mine is made by Joying, it's one of those Android head units. it's the plastic around the screen that made me have to trim A LOT off the bezel, more than most pics i've seen of regular double din installs. and it's still a very snug fit. the metra install pieces i got also had to be modified, i ended up not even using them, i used the side pieces from an old kit i had from a chevy HHR i had years ago.

anyways, i've seen 1 other installed this way i think, and that's where i got the idea. the little angled plastic part of the actual dash behind the bezel, directly to the right and left of the radio (pictured below), i drilled holes that lined up with the holes on the side of the radio, and used bolts and washers to screw THROUGH the dash, into the radio. i drilled a lot of extra holes that didn't line up, or lined up but then when i test fit the bezel back on, the head unit sat too far forward, etc. so i finally got the right holes drilled, and i used 2 bolts per side with a few washers and 1 lock washer per bolt. basically the unit CAN'T be pulled out (or ripped out by a thief) without first removing the bezel, then unscrewing these bolts, since it's secured to the actual dash.

like i said only seen 1 other guy do this that i know of, so i figured i'd post detailed information and a few pics because i know people always search how to install a double din in our trucks, so this may help people in the future.

this still isn't done, i'm going to do something that looks better to fill the side gaps and theres a TINY gap above the unit, but the flash on the camera makes it show more than it ever will in person. but i just put the bezel back on to test fit after i finally got the screws in place.

i could have recessed it back like the stock radio where the face of the radio is the same as the a/c controls below, but the **** on this radio is close to the edge so it made it hard to turn the ****, so i flush mounted it.

Name:  20160626_201812_zpslxzxasnp.jpg
Views: 3145
Size:  175.9 KB

Name:  20160626_201826_zpskxdn6iyh.jpg
Views: 1942
Size:  158.1 KB

Name:  20160624_204223_zpslkuhdrcs.jpg
Views: 1849
Size:  171.3 KB

originally was going to use 3 bolts per side but the large washers i used made the top 2 holes not work being that close.

Name:  20160625_233210_zpssw1xgsl5.jpg
Views: 1805
Size:  136.5 KB

final setup. i put 3 washers on the other side of the plastic as well, to fill the gap so the plastic didn't warp inwards as i tightened the bolts. didn't have to but it feels more solid this way.

the unit is 100% secure and not going anywhere. happy with how it turned out, took FOREVER, and once i finish the trim pieces around the outside it'll be perfect.

Name:  20160626_191228_zpstwupbroy.jpg
Views: 1894
Size:  352.4 KB

Old 06-27-2016, 01:47 AM
JSchuricht
Mountain Pass
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I can't see the pics from here but what you described is exactly how I attached mine with the addition of a plastic bit mounted to the rear of the head unit that slides on the rail in the dash. To fill the gaps, I used the trim piece from the install kit. The trim piece attaches to the head unit and I trimmed the removable part of the dash so it slides on and off without disturbing the head unit.

Here's an old pic of it installed.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:23 AM
ultrasks700
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ufvj217 What deck model is that and whats you're option? I've been shopping for one for a long time now and would like some feed back before I buy one. There's so damn many now

Old 06-27-2016, 12:50 PM
kcducttaper
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Going slightly off topic, but I'm still trying to get my stock radio out. I haven't bought the special radio removal tool and have got some really stiff wire instead (bike fender wire - slightly bigger than a stout coat hanger wire). I'll give it another go probably tonight to see if I can get the thing out. I almost wonder if I'll have to give it a go with some allen wrenches. They should be long and stout enough I would think.

Checking out this video, it should be a breeze, but my wires keep bending, or I get scarred that I might break the plastic as I'm bending them outwards. Perhaps I'm just not getting them in straight. I'll give it another shot tonight and see how it goes.

After it's out, I've got a single din JVC unit with some bells and whistles that's all wired up and ready to just pop right in to compliment my JBL GX862's.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:06 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Ultra, i will get a link for you and post it later. There are a few newer ones out, however mine has an update i need to install to upgrade to 5.0 or whatever it is (from 4.4). I may mess with that tonight and upgrade it. I think the newer ones have the same processors and stuff though so no real performance upgrades. It's a Joying unit if you want to look on their site in the meantime then when i get home later I'll be on my computer and post the exact one i got as well as some of their newer ones that you probably can go with. I may order a newer model and put this one in my excursion or scion and sell my pioneer double din. I like the androids that much. Sound quality is slightly less but you can download apps and EQs and EQ the frequencies. I have a 1/2 din external EQ though that I'm installing because I'm a bass head and while i can still fine tune through software, i like having old school ***** because certain songs are too harsh etc so i can quickly turn down said frequency.

KC, i had the same issue. The clips on my stock radio wouldn't release so i pried the face off then used a tool like this with a flat blade to carefully cut the metal clips. Then proceeded to throw the radio in the garbage lol

Old 06-27-2016, 03:25 PM
kcducttaper
Tuned
Originally Posted by ufvj217
KC, i had the same issue. The clips on my stock radio wouldn't release so i pried the face off then used a tool like this with a flat blade to carefully cut the metal clips. Then proceeded to throw the radio in the garbage lol

Ouch. lol. So far, I'm still trying to do everything cleanly and 'properly'.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:20 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
I didn't damage anything cutting it out other than the stock radio which i didn't need. Had no other option, couldn't get the bezel off without the radio coming out first.

Old 06-27-2016, 05:55 PM
kcducttaper
Tuned
I was hoping to keep the stock radio in good shape though. No reason to destroy it if it still works good - might even be able to sell it for a couple bucks.

I just had another bout with the radio and it won again. I've heard of some people having to take the dash out to get in there.

Old 06-27-2016, 07:05 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I have fought with those radio clips using coat hanger wire and I finally bought the Ford radio tools from O-Reilly Auto Parts. It makes a big difference. The tools are much higher grade wire that is much more resistant to bending. And with the little ball ends it makes it easier to find the correct depth. One of the problems with the home made coat hanger tools is getting them in too far and completely missing what needs to be pried. Then while they are in the wrong place and prying against the side of the radio instead of the retainer clip they will bend.
Metra Electronics CK-FDRT - Radio Removal Tool | O'Reilly Auto Parts
It shows one in the picture but they are sold as a pair.

Old 06-27-2016, 08:10 PM
ufvj217
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by kcducttaper
I was hoping to keep the stock radio in good shape though. No reason to destroy it if it still works good - might even be able to sell it for a couple bucks.

I just had another bout with the radio and it won again. I've heard of some people having to take the dash out to get in there.
haha

yea when i tell you i had no option other than break the bezel, or the stock radio, i chose the radio. never was going to use it again anyhow. on my 04 there was 2 screws holding the bezel in (the rest is clips) but those 2 screws can't be removed until you remove the radio. i tried for days to get the radio out with the removal tools. only ford i've ever had an issue getting the stock radio out.

this is the radio i have. i absolutely love it.

https://www.amazon.com/Joying-JY-UQ1...ng+android+4.4

Old 06-28-2016, 08:56 AM
kcducttaper
Tuned
Well, I bought a pair of the radio removal tools from whatever the local auto parts place is and went at it again. The annoying thing is I can get the right side unlatched and can feel it click into place and everything just fine.

The left side just seems completely messed up somehow. It doesn't click in properly; I can't seem to find the springs in there; and it just doesn't feel like I'm getting anywhere on the left side - either top or bottom. I really don't want to maul up the stock radio, but it kinda seems stuck in there... Way to go Ford....way to go.

I've already got this single din radio locked, loaded, and all wired up ready to drop in. I don't need anything terribly fancy - just a good EQ, hookups to add a sub later on, and a few little bells and whistles.
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ta8i8dtqyxc/p_105KDR970B/JVC-KD-R970BTS.html

Old 06-28-2016, 08:59 AM
kcducttaper
Tuned
Why the heck is this forum changing my amazon link to BestBuy?!? I'm sick of BestBuy nonsense!!!

*Edit* I changed my link to Crutchfield.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:21 PM
Mike1
Logistics Pro
Received 318 Likes on 288 Posts
I don't know, I've got some POS Sony satellite ready radio, installed in mine, The PO, cut out the original harness and did a poor job of splicing on the current one. I hate it, I've been looking around a little bit for a stock radio and harness, My son keeps trying to talk me into one of them that has a TV built into it, I'm like why?? Who in their right mind tries to watch TV while they're driving??

Old 06-28-2016, 01:59 PM
Kaw-Liga
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ufvj217
this still isn't done, i'm going to do something that looks better to fill the side gaps and theres a TINY gap above the unit, but the flash on the camera makes it show more than it ever will in person. but i just put the bezel back on to test fit after i finally got the screws in place.
You might look at using some very thin weather stripping (rubber or foam) to fill in around the unit. That ought to press in fairly easily and it's pretty cheap to get.

-Kaw-Liga.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:08 PM
kcducttaper
Tuned
Originally Posted by Mike1
I don't know, I've got some POS Sony satellite ready radio, installed in mine, The PO, cut out the original harness and did a poor job of splicing on the current one. I hate it, I've been looking around a little bit for a stock radio and harness, My son keeps trying to talk me into one of them that has a TV built into it, I'm like why?? Who in their right mind tries to watch TV while they're driving??
I really don't care for the stocker unit. It doesn't sound very good to my ears. I'm not really a fan of Sony's either since they started doing the whole 'walfart special' audio products (X-plod series and such) for super cheap. When I started searching for a head unit, my criteria was to have at least a 5 band EQ and a good audio name. The JVC one I ultimately landed on is $110 and has 13 bands, if I remember correctly plus a few other fancy features. It should be a vast improvement over the stocker, but I didn't really want to go with a double-din. I figure they're a bigger target for thieves and I just don't really need anything with a screen in my dash.

Quick Reply: 99-04: how did you install your double din radio?