6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

black smoke under full throttle

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 01:18 PM
mjoyce
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
black smoke under full throttle

So I started to NM from fort worth texas with my 33" camper blew my CAC pipe four times. Finally got there. In the morning it took longer than expected to start. When it did white smoke. That was replaced with black smoke under full throttle. I went from elevation of 700 to 8000 Ft. Should I care about black smoke? Meaning should I take it to Ford and get a rental car to get it looked at for our trip home.

96 degrees towing at 70mph with lots of climbing mountains.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:32 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I would question whether my FICM was failing. Has it ever gone lower.

Not sure if that would be cause of high temps thou.

Old 06-26-2016, 01:36 PM
mjoyce
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tideman
I would question whether my FICM was failing. Has it ever gone lower.
I got the insight a few weeks ago. Since then it's been rock solid. But I replaced the alternator a few months ago and the ficm probably was starved for voltage before then. I don't know.

Old 06-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-of-power.html

This is a good place to start. Read that and see if it's the same

Old 06-26-2016, 08:48 PM
mjoyce
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tideman
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...-of-power.html

This is a good place to start. Read that and see if it's the same
Sound like a similar issue for sure. I think I am going to roll the dice and tow the 10 hours back to fort worth. I'll get it checked out then. Thanks for the info. Leaning how the System works gives me piece of mind.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:53 PM
Tideman
Fleet Mechanic
Did you check the boot at the bottom of the CAC pipe for tears, or if you have the plastic CAC pipe for cracks.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:37 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
ECT is high, shouldn't see much over 220 for long, was your fan screening good? EOT very high 3 degrees from defuel. If you drop a gear on the hills, you will move water, more cooling, both coolant and oil. Your boost seems low fir a hill. But I get you think FICM, when warm it should be doing 48 volts easy. Those r high temps, what's the weight of trailer? I wouldn't expect that low boost and those temps, so......

Got a boot leak on there loosing boost, or you have sensor issues with MAF, MAP,, IAT2, or EBP. Consider cleaning all, check map and EBP and I be and run relearn? You should see 26-28 PSI those speeds, hill, temps. FWIW. Hope this helps.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:06 AM
mjoyce
Junior User
Originally Posted by mhoefer
ECT is high, shouldn't see much over 220 for long, was your fan screening good? EOT very high 3 degrees from defuel. If you drop a gear on the hills, you will move water, more cooling, both coolant and oil. Your boost seems low fir a hill. But I get you think FICM, when warm it should be doing 48 volts easy. Those r high temps, what's the weight of trailer? I wouldn't expect that low boost and those temps, so......

Got a boot leak on there loosing boost, or you have sensor issues with MAF, MAP,, IAT2, or EBP. Consider cleaning all, check map and EBP and I be and run relearn? You should see 26-28 PSI those speeds, hill, temps. FWIW. Hope this helps.
Trailer weighs 10k lbs. My boost level seem to drop when I replaced the idler pulleys and water pump with a bullet proof pump. I didn't touch any of the cac system. I replaced all cac boots with new a few months ago but boost was fine after they were replaced. When I started towing the cac started comin off. Three times at the turbo and once front and center by the thermostat housing. I tightened all of the cacs except the drivers side one. I will do that now and let you know if there is any change.

So higher rpm's lower engine temps? Had no idea. I thought the opposite would happen.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:12 AM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Get the RPM up and cooling will be better.
Clean the EBP sensor.
Get FICM repaired soon.

Increased RPM gets increased fan speed.

Old 06-28-2016, 09:51 AM
LCR
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Are you tuned or stock?

Old 06-28-2016, 12:05 PM
brandonrr
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Is the clutch fan roaring at those temps? Unless you're blasting music, it will be very obvious if the fan is working as it should.

Black smoke, high temps (probably high egt as well) and low boost all point to a boost leak. Do you have a plastic or metal driver's side CAC tube? If plastic, it's hard to detect when they start leaking at the accordion-looking part.

Btw, defuel starts around 253 oil temp, not 243.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:05 PM
mjoyce
Junior User
Originally Posted by LCR
Are you tuned or stock?
Bone stock except for dc power alternator, bullet proof water pump, riffraff cac boots.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:11 PM
mjoyce
Junior User
Originally Posted by brandonrr
Is the clutch fan roaring at those temps? Unless you're blasting music, it will be very obvious if the fan is working as it should.

Black smoke, high temps (probably high egt as well) and low boost all point to a boost leak. Do you have a plastic or metal driver's side CAC tube? If plastic, it's hard to detect when they start leaking at the accordion-looking part.

Btw, defuel starts around 253 oil temp, not 243.
Clutch fan turns on late like at 228 water temp when I am towing. It turns on earlier when I am just cruising around. All my cac pipes are aluminum. I am limited out here in the middle of nowhere. I have To drive 90 miles to get to a ford place which I am doing in the morning. I am running out of time to get it fixed before my trip back.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:21 PM
mjoyce
Junior User
Originally Posted by mjoyce
Trailer weighs 10k lbs. My boost level seem to drop when I replaced the idler pulleys and water pump with a bullet proof pump. I didn't touch any of the cac system. I replaced all cac boots with new a few months ago but boost was fine after they were replaced. When I started towing the cac started comin off. Three times at the turbo and once front and center by the thermostat housing. I tightened all of the cacs except the drivers side one. I will do that now and let you know if there is any change.

So higher rpm's lower engine temps? Had no idea. I thought the opposite would happen.
Reseated the cac boots all aroundnthing morning and inspected all of them. I can't see any issues at all. I wonder if egr is causing boost loss?

Old 06-28-2016, 01:25 PM
WatsonR
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Boost is map and ebp sensors.
Unplug it and see what happens.
Did you check the intake piping if it's plastic?

Quick Reply: black smoke under full throttle