1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern tool spin on filter, now with installs

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2016, 11:06 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts
I hooked it up using stock Steel line for now and rubber trans line hose. Return is fine but the feed is throw together and I don't like it. I'll be changing that over the next few weeks, I was just so happy to get her filled up and running last night I didn't care how really. I did put the rubber hose in wire loom so it protects it so I cared to a point lol. Then I forgot the fluid temp sender and couldn't figure out why the dang gauge wasn't working but it was 12:15 when I got done so.....I'll post pics when I get home today and take her for the maiden voyage

Old 07-19-2016, 04:23 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Well I rushed home and checked the fluid level, started the truck and let it idle again and rechecked level and hoses for leaks. Backed out the driveway which engaged a little harsh I think and went for a drive....I have speed bumps in my development so I go slow like 10mph but the truck shifts into second usually. HOLLY CRAP think shifts so hard more abrupt with a lunge forward! Stop and hit the main road and go at normal pace it shifts I to 2nd and it's not as bad as it was the first time drive a few miles and it's abrupt. Driving easy and normal speeds it's just abrupt in ever shift BUT if I full throttle her it's easy shifts? WTF would it be like that for? If it's hard /abrupt at slow speeds it should be the same way at full throttle not get stock squishy shifts!!!!! I'm so annoyed right now

Old 07-20-2016, 04:55 PM
SDSC4X4
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
At WOT the PCM cuts power instantaneously as the clutches engage to reduce the wear on the discs, make for a smoother shift and reduce strain on the driveshaft(s) and differential(s)/ I thought it did for all shifts, but maybe not.... If you spec'd high performance discs, then possibly they are just grabbing harder. So I have to wonder if they will "break in" a bit after some driving, but I don't think that should be necessary.

Sounds like the fluid you used is NOT a factor, as it is the required replacement.

Old 07-20-2016, 06:24 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
All I can say is four years ago when I first installed the transgo kit the shifts at all throttle positions were AMAZING even at WOT. Then I started having my issues and then the rebuild, now I have shift pressure issues at all positions.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:31 PM
SDSC4X4
More Turbo
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Shure would like to help more, but there is no way I'm a transmission guy! Hopefully Mark will weigh in....

Old 07-21-2016, 10:20 AM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Ok here's a small update, called Brian from BTS and gave him the story...got an answer on what to check. Then called trans builder I used and he said all my transgo part's are back and all he added was a Superior spring to my boost valve. Last night I dropped the pan and valve body and when I went to remove the boost valve spring the valve was stuck in the valve body! I tried to ease it out with no luck, called local trans shop and he said he would wait a few minutes for me to get there. He tried to get the valve out with no luck so I paid $50 for a empty valve body and a new boost valve. Went home drilled two relief holes and installed my transgo shift kit into the new valve body and took her for a ride. First impressions no more reverse engagement Jenks or bangs and forward is just as smooth but firm with no delay. Driving normal I have nice quick better than stock up shifts but I'm still having a weird WOT shift pressure I assume issue. From a dead stop WOT the shift is firm and fast but I have a squeak now with ever shift and the trans like hangs for a split second during the shift instead of just going through the shift BUT if I do a rolling WOT where the truck drops from 2nd into first and then I gold a WOT and it goes and shifts back into 2nd this sucker will snap your neck!!! It's lighting fast on the upshift and the pressure is perfect not Tire chirping but almost at that breaking point and it just hammers through a shift and the motor hardly slows down and it just rolls! That's how it was four years ago when I first did the kit so now I gotta figure out why it's not that way all the time like it use to be????

Old 09-02-2016, 05:53 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Old 09-02-2016, 05:55 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
Old 09-02-2016, 05:58 PM
SuperDutyScaler
Lead Driver
So I have about four hundred miles now since the install and I installed a new WIX 20micron filter so I cut the old one open. I stuck a magnet on the bottom of the filter and that's all it had stuck to the can, and I found one little spec on the filter media. So overall I'm very happy that I cleaned the lines good and the wash on the trans during the rebuild was done correctly