S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Displaying and Honoring our flag...do you know flag etiquette?

Old 06-25-2016, 12:43 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Displaying and Honoring our flag...do you know flag etiquette?

Since Independence Day is right around the corner, how many of us know the U.S. Flag Code?
How many flag codes are there first of all?
If attached to a wall, what side is the blue "Union" side located on?
What's the preferred way to destroy an old flag?
The U.S. Flag is the ____ oldest national flag? What country has the oldest?
If lined up with other national flags, what position when viewing is it in?
If displayed with subordinate flags, how is it positioned?
What's the process for positioning the flag when at half staff?
When is the Only time, it's appropriate to fly another flag over the American Flag?
We all know to remove our hats, if civilian, to acknowledge the flag during The Star Spangled Banner. What process is correct to do so?
In a procession, where should the flag be positioned relative to the marchers?
Since 1834, the American flag has flown continuously at a grave site in what country?
What President proclaimed flag day but did not get congressional designation until 1949?
What do you call a flag expert?
The flag should always be flown with the "Union" side up except when?
What is the protocol for flying the American Flag on Memorial Day?
If flying the flag 24 hrs a day, what requirement is necessary?
And of course, a flag should never touch the ground.

Old 06-25-2016, 08:08 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
I only have an idea on a few of them. Without googleling it.

Originally Posted by r2millers
Since Independence Day is right around the corner, how many of us know the U.S. Flag Code?
How many flag codes are there first of all?
Upper left
Burned, while showing proper solemn respect. The ceremony may vary.
The U.S. Flag is the ____ oldest national flag? What country has the oldest?
If lined up with other national flags, what position when viewing is it in?
If displayed with subordinate flags, how is it positioned?
Must be uppermost (and I think center or left side)
Should be hoisted full staff first, then lowered to half staff.
When is the Only time, it's appropriate to fly another flag over the American Flag?
On foreign soil????
We all know to remove our hats, if civilian, to acknowledge the flag during The Star Spangled Banner. What process is correct to do so?
Hold the hat over your heart
In a procession, where should the flag be positioned relative to the marchers?
Since 1834, the American flag has flown continuously at a grave site in what country?
What President proclaimed flag day but did not get congressional designation until 1949?
What do you call a flag expert?
The flag should always be flown with the "Union" side up except when?
To show a state of distress
What is the protocol for flying the American Flag on Memorial Day?
Must be lighted/illuminated

As I mentioned elsewhere, I am serving jury duty in a US court. Like most official buildings, the courthouse has 2 flag poles bracing the entrance. I found it interesting that both had US flags flying. No state flag. I found that surprising for some reason. Would seem reasonable to include a CA state flag, considering the courtroom is in CA, and almost all the visitors and employees would be CA residents. But, it is a US property.

Good thread, Bob.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:18 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Thanks Bill for those answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2millers View Post
How many flag codes are there first of all? Civilian and each service branch.
Upper left Yes, always to the left.
Burned, while showing proper solemn respect. The ceremony may vary. Yes.
The U.S. Flag is the __4th__ oldest national flag? Adopted in 1777 although several revisions, Denmark's flag is oldest national flag, adopted in 1219
If lined up with other national flags, what position is it in when viewing? Same height and viewed from far left
If displayed with subordinate flags, how is it positioned?. Yes, Centermost and highest.
Should be hoisted full staff first, then lowered to half staff. Yes, and it must be raised again to full mast before removing.
When is the Only time, it's appropriate to fly another flag over the American Flag? During church services, flying a church pennant at sea

Hold the hat over your heart. Yes, remove with your right hand and place over your heart. Military personnel and Veterans should stand at attention and salute the Flag.

Also only upside down as a distress signal and all must be lite if flown in th the "Union" side up except when?
To show a state of distress. Correct.
What is the protocol for flying the American Flag on Memorial Day? Yes Pops, half staff until noon, then raised up to full staff until removed.
Must be lighted/illuminated. Yes, always illuminated when dark.

Still a couple more here? Any takers?
In a procession, where should the flag be positioned relative to the marchers? To the right of the marchers.
Since 1834, the American flag has flown continuously at a grave site in what country? Yes, the American flag has flown near Paris France over Lafayette's grave.
What President proclaimed flag day but did not get congressional designation until 1949? Woodrow Wilson in 1916
What do you call a flag expert? Vexillologist.

2006 F250 XLT SCLB FX4 4x4 6.0L Auto,Magnaflow Turbo Back (w/CAT),Edge Insight CS,Blue Spring,RhinoLiner,Retrax Cover,Cab Lights Retro-fit,Overhead Console Retro-fit,Bilsteins,Harpooned,C-Betrs,Fumoto,'08 Diff Cover,Upfitters Retro-fit,Coolant Filter,Custom Man Steps,Keystone 2011 Cougar 278RKSWE,2012 Fusion SE
Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 09:36 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

Originally Posted by bpounds

As I mentioned elsewhere, I am serving jury duty in a US court. Like most official buildings, the courthouse has 2 flag poles bracing the entrance. I found it interesting that both had US flags flying. No state flag. I found that surprising for some reason. Would seem reasonable to include a CA state flag, considering the courtroom is in CA, and almost all the visitors and employees would be CA residents. But, it is a US property.

If both poles are the same height, then the CA flag wouldn't be flown as it's considered a subordinate flag. Hence, you'd expect both flags to be US flags.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:53 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
I am not sure I understand this question:

"If lined up with other national flags, what position is it in when viewing?" No answer yet.

Would this be a multi-national event, hosted by the US? If so, I think the answer would be, centermost flag.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:28 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

"If lined up with other national flags, what position is it in when viewing?" No answer yet.

Would this be a multi-national event, hosted by the US? If so, I think the answer would be, centermost flag.
If the American flag is lined up with other national, non subordinate flags on American soil, the American flag should be located as the first or furthest flag to the left flag as seen from the "viewing" side.

Old 06-27-2016, 12:14 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 928 Likes on 676 Posts
I've learned a lot about flag and the 50 codes since getting back to scouting.

USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - United States Code

Edit, is it 10 codes? https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/4/chapter-1

Old 06-27-2016, 11:22 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Good thread, Bob.
Thanks for your Jury service; it's an honorable duty, but time consuming. Glad you're making the best of it.

Old 06-27-2016, 11:28 AM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

I had to look it up.

(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof:
Provided that nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations.

But if I visit Zambia as a VIP, won't the US flag be lower than their national flag? Or Same level to the right?

Old 06-27-2016, 12:23 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by wpnaes
Thanks for your Jury service; it's an honorable duty, but time consuming. Glad you're making the best of it.

Thanks. I enjoy it. Hate being away from work so much, cause it doesn't stop piling up. But I always enjoy the experience. If I had time, a grand jury stint would be cool. They go for 6 months.

I had to look it up.

(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America,...

This seems to be at odds with Bob's answer in post #6.

So, without any political comment at all, what is going on in Texas?

Old 06-27-2016, 02:54 PM
wpnaes
FTE Chapter Leader

Don't mess with Texas!

Old 06-27-2016, 03:08 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

I had to look it up.

(c) No other flag or pennant should be placed above or, if on the same level, to the right of the flag of the United States of America, except during church services conducted by naval chaplains at sea, when the church pennant may be flown above the flag during church services for the personnel of the Navy. No person shall display the flag of the United Nations or any other national or international flag equal, above, or in a position of superior prominence or honor to, or in place of, the flag of the United States at any place within the United States or any Territory or possession thereof:
Provided that nothing in this section shall make unlawful the continuance of the practice heretofore followed of displaying the flag of the United Nations in a position of superior prominence or honor, and other national flags in positions of equal prominence or honor, with that of the flag of the United States at the headquarters of the United Nations.

But if I visit Zambia as a VIP, won't the US flag be lower than their national flag? Or Same level to the right?
Yes, as you note, a church pennant only at sea during church services, the naval chaplains conducting.

Also, The American Flag as another country flag, should be flown in other countries at the same height.

Old 06-27-2016, 03:14 PM
r2millers
Postmaster

This seems to be at odds with Bob's answer in post #6.

So, without any political comment at all, what is going on in Texas?
I guess Trump does his own thing with them Texans.

To Sean's point, these are the commonly known flag code of ethics...one for each branch of the armed services and a civilian code.

I'm sure somewhere, you will find other codes developed but these are the commonly agreed upon codes.

5 more questions still hanging, see post #3.

Old 06-27-2016, 04:01 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by r2millers
I guess Trump does his own thing with them Texans.

Turns out Texas has their own flag code, which includes:
Sec. 3100.055. DISPLAY ON FLAGPOLE OR FLAGSTAFF WITH FLAG OF UNITED STATES. (a) If it is necessary for the state flag and the flag of the United States to be displayed on the same flagpole or flagstaff, the United States flag should be above the state flag.
(b) If the state flag and the flag of the United States are displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs at the same location:
(1) the flags should be displayed on flagpoles or flagstaffs of the same height;
(2) the flags should be of approximately equal size;
(3) the flag of the United States should be, from the perspective of an observer, to the left of the state flag;
(4) the flag of the United States should be hoisted before the state flag is hoisted; and
(5) the state flag should be lowered before the flag of the United States is lowered.
Source: GOVERNMENT CODE CHAPTER 3100. STATE FLAG

Texas has always had an independent streak.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:33 PM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
On Memorial Day, the flag is run to the pole top, then lowered and flown at half-staff from sunrise until noon, then raised to full staff.

An American flag has flown over Lafayette's grave, in Paris, for a long, long time.

Pop

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Displaying and Honoring our flag...do you know flag etiquette?