1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 12:17 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Need advice

Hi guys,

I am new to the bullnose section but not to FTE so I am coming here for advice.... I purchased a 86 F150 Lariat with EFI 5.0 and C6. Rats or whatever had made a home in the airbox and on top of the intake. The whole top of the intake is covered in straw as well as inside the airbox. They also must have been hungry cause they ate all kinds of wires, mainly the wires to the injectors and the harness but also to some other things that I am not sure what they are yet. The fuel rail looks in horrible shape, as far as I can tell the high pressure fuel pump is not working and I can not hear either one of the low pressure pumps in the tanks. I have not gotten that far in diagnosing what and why they dont work yet. I have not had much luck in finding schematics yet but still searching but what I am wondering is with the state the truck is in right now and since it does have a C6 would I be better off just going with a carb, mechanical fuel pump, and duraspark ignition than trying to salvage what I have now. Most of my experience is pre- efi so all this is a little new to me so please any advice will be helpful and also where to start looking for the fuel system to work.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:42 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
I have the schematics, and a lot more, on my web site here:But, I would be inclined to convert it to a carb if the wiring is that bad. However, I'd find a donor truck before I made the decision. You might find a donor EFI truck or you might find a donor carb'd truck. But, whichever way you go you are highly likely to need wiring harnesses from another truck.

Old 06-25-2016, 12:52 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
Donor trucks are hard to find and space in my yard is even more difficult......3 boats and now a truck. My wife came home and text me saying that we don't have a backyard anymore. I think that was code to hurry up and move some ****. I am going to go to a couple of u pull it places and see what I can find. I will post some pictures soon but parts of the EGR system are rusted which is also making me lean towards a carb. Where I am they do not check for smog so I can bypass all of that I just dont want an exhaust leak.
Also thanks for the links I appreciate that.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:57 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I pulled 51.5 lbs of Emissions off my '86 351, because it would have been "cost prohibitive" to purchase components and re-do wiring. My trusted Ford dealership, (one of the first in NE) told me "pull all that crap which didn't work well after the fifth year and buy an Eddy 4-v and intake, and you will be good to go, and it will probably run better anyway"

51 lbs of non-working crap.....

Old 06-25-2016, 05:14 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
I just came back from the junkyard and after looking at 4 different bullnoses none of them had what I needed which makes me lean even more towards "old school" but how will I wire up the coil and distributor? Is there a post on here somewhere? I have done a search and alot of what I had read was the difficulties with the aod tranny but I wont have that problem other than maybe the kickdown linkage or do I have the tv cable?

Old 06-25-2016, 07:32 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
If you get a wiring harness from a DS-II truck it will be plug and play. Here's a link to other links on DS-II swaps: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...ml#post7434583

Old 06-25-2016, 07:36 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,678 Likes on 1,356 Posts
What are you going to do with the fuel system? It has electric pumps and too much pressure for a carb.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:54 PM
reamer
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
simple pressure regulator,...and a return line if needed should work fine

Old 06-25-2016, 08:29 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by Franklin2
What are you going to do with the fuel system? It has electric pumps and too much pressure for a carb.
Fuel system isn't working right now at all. If I decide to do this I'll just run fuel line back and use either mechanical or an electric fuel pump with regulator

Old 06-27-2016, 05:33 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
Ok so I pulled out the radiator because it had some really funky stuff on the inside of the cap and in the neck. Also took off the upper intake as it seemed easier to get to the fuel rail. After getting it off I can visually see the damage the rodents did as well as how bad the egr system is. The valve that is located in the back on the pass side has come apart and just hanging there. Today I got a vacuum and cleaned the majority of the straw off the lower intake and I am able to see that it won't be that much of a job to take the lower intake off. I did locate from this site another fuel rail with injectors as well as a wiring harness.
I need to try and figure out my fuel system to see if it actually works or not. I have looked at my fuse box and checked them all and they are good and have also looked under the hood but haven't noticed any relays. Am I missing something or are the only fuses the ones under the dash? I need to go purchase a test light and meter so I can get to work with this but can someone give me a starting point please? Also I was looking at the dual tank reservoir but I did not see any electrical hook up? I did some reading and if I understand correctly it all works by pressure when switching the tanks? Haven't been able to wrap my head around that yet but I just only got underneath it today to see what I have to work with.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:13 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by maverick600
...I am able to see that it won't be that much of a job to take the lower intake off.
Oh, boy oh boy oh boy....

Oh, boy...

That's what I thought when I chased an antifreeze leak between the lower intake manifold & head/block on my brother's 351W Bronco (essentially very similar to your 1986 EFI 302).... ugh... take a 1-or-2-weekend-max project and extend it to ~6 months because of broken bolts holding the lower mani on.

Oh, boy oh boy oh boy... all those pictures and that story are all on Facebook, how am I gonna get 'em here (but Gary knows of that project).

Old 06-27-2016, 06:29 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
I need to try and figure out my fuel system to see if it actually works or not.
Start at Page 103 here:

Electric Fuel Pump Control - ???Gary's Garagemahal

It involves a fusible link and a relay and an inertia switch at minimum....

Also I was looking at the dual tank reservoir
What is a "dual tank reservoir?" Are you talking maybe about the tank selector valve?

...if I understand correctly it all works by pressure when switching the tanks?
No... the fuel tank selector valve is an electrically-operated electromagnet that switches the feed + return lines between two tanks (defaults is the rear tank). Where are you seeing/interpreting pressure?

Or maybe I'm confused....

Old 06-27-2016, 06:43 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Chris - Our trucks have electrically-operated valves, but the later systems were controlled by pressure from the in-tank pumps, which were controlled by the tank switch. Look at Page 104 using your link, and you'll see the switch just controls the in-tank pumps and determines which fuel level sender gets connected to the gauge.

You'll remember Ray - the young guy from here that built the flat bed out of wood and then moved back east. His truck had the pump-controlled system and it was the pits - at one point it was pulling from one tank and returning to the other. He finally removed one of the tanks and the valve - problem solved.

Old 06-27-2016, 06:50 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
This is where I was reading the information from, you will notice the title says 86 but after reading Gary's post I am wondering if I am reading the wrong information for my year?

Dual Tank Selector

Old 06-27-2016, 06:55 PM
maverick600
Laughing Gas
[QUOTE=ctubutis;16386239]Start at Page 103 here:

Electric Fuel Pump Control - ???Gary's Garagemahal

It involves a fusible link and a relay and an inertia switch at minimum.

I have seen this schematic but my problem is I have not found anything that tells me the location of some of these components but thank you for the link!! I am just not sure where the cut off relay or the inertia switch are located.

Quick Reply: Need advice