99 F350 V10 4WD CREW CAB

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2016, 03:47 PM
Santimanzano
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 F350 V10 4WD CREW CAB

Greetings.

I am new here, and I just purchased a used truck.

1999 F350, V10 4x4. It has some issues and I hope to address and fix them a bit at a time with some guidance from members here.

I paid $1,300 for the truck.

Upon purchase, the truck would not start at all. No crank even. Battery was dead, so I replaced it. Only got a click upon key turn. I pulled the starter from a parts truck I have, a 2001 F350 5.4.

I also pulled the starter to battery cable from my parts truck and replaced the cable on the V10.

Truck cranks over, wanted to start, finally did. Upon start up, very rough idle, wanting to die. Lots of white smoke from the tailpipe. Idle settled down, but still smoke, white in color from the pipe. Smoke smells more like gas and oil than anything. Shut off the truck. Recheck the engine oil, nice and clean, no milkshake. Siphon some gasoline out of the tank. Stuff is urine yellow and stinks to high heaven. Put some in a lawn mower and the lawn mower starts billowing white smoke from its exhaust as well.

Noticed that the brake pedal sinks almost to the floor. Had someone suggest that i check the brake booster, for brake fluid. They are suggesting that the master cylinder may be leaking fluid into the booster, and then the vacuum may be sucking fluid from the booster, into the engine, resulting in white smoke.

I will check this weekend for oil in the booster first to try and find the guilty party for the white smoke....as well as drop the fuel tank, clean it out of all the stale fuel, before I assume a blown head gasket is the cause.

I'd be interested in hearing experienced members suggestions on how I should approach this. I am hoping the stumbling, rough idle, white smoke, to all be a combination of bad gasoline (truck sat for well over 1 1/2 with the tank almost full of fuel), brake fluid leaking into the booster and sucked via vacuum, fuel injectors dirty from the old fuel, spark plugs fouled up from the bad fuel and brake fluid (if the brake fluid is in fact, leaking into the booster).

I am not a mechanic, but I am somewhat handy and can follow directions.

Thank you everyone.

Old 06-22-2016, 08:31 PM
fordmerc
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First thing I would do is get fresh fuel and a fuel filter in it and see what that does. Once you see the results, you can start fixing other things as needed.

Old 06-22-2016, 11:52 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Unless that old gas took out the head gasket in the lawnmower too I would tend to suspect the fuel.

Old 06-26-2016, 05:12 PM
Santimanzano
Junior User
Removed my fuel tank, cleaned it out, installed a new fuel pump, replaced the inline fuel filter. Fired up the truck.

Oil is sputtering out of the tailpipe, and the engine is struggling. Oil soaking the plugs certainly won't let them fire properly.

I placed the tailgate across from the tailpipe, to catch the exhaust and oil. You can see here what it's looking like.

So now I need to troubleshoot the oil in the exhaust.

What should I do next here? Thank you all.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:27 PM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Normally Ai'd suggest looking at the intake gaskets for a vacuum and oi leak into the intake port, but these engines have a dry valley, so that's out.

Sometimes valves seize in the guides on engines not run for an extended time period. If an intake guide is scored, that could let oil get into the combustion chamber.

Old 06-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Santimanzano
Junior User
Originally Posted by finn
Normally Ai'd suggest looking at the intake gaskets for a vacuum and oi leak into the intake port, but these engines have a dry valley, so that's out.

Sometimes valves seize in the guides on engines not run for an extended time period. If an intake guide is scored, that could let oil get into the combustion chamber.
I do know the truck sat since 9/2014 until I just bought it.

How would I go about checking valves for seizure?

Old 06-27-2016, 10:12 AM
finn
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
A compression, or better yet, a cylinder leakdown test is best.

Removing the valve covers and checking for valve lash while baring the engine over would be another way, but the leakdown test would also rule out, or confirm a power cylinder issue.

Old 06-28-2016, 02:00 PM
Santimanzano
Junior User
I had a mechanic come out this morning to look at my truck.

The test that he did (I'm not privy to the details) showed that with the engine running and the oil fill cap on the valve cover removed, air and oil residue was being blown up and out of the fill hole. His next statement to me was that the engine was done, and it would be cheaper to simply find a junkyard engine to replace it with than to repair the issue.

What would this "test" he performed mean or indicate?

When I suggested if replacing piston rings could not just be done by pulling the heads off, he stated that this motor has a double timing chain that is a nightmare to deal with.

what would be the recommendation of members here? If I had the funds, I'd do this right, by having someone pull the motor and such, but I need to do as much as I can myself as I don't have a lot of money to play with.

Help!!!!

Old 06-29-2016, 05:46 PM
Santimanzano
Junior User
Anyone???

Anyone??

Old 06-29-2016, 06:52 PM
Sam I Am
Posting Guru
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Santimanzano
I had a mechanic come out this morning to look at my truck.

The test that he did (I'm not privy to the details) showed that with the engine running and the oil fill cap on the valve cover removed, air and oil residue was being blown up and out of the fill hole. His next statement to me was that the engine was done, and it would be cheaper to simply find a junkyard engine to replace it with than to repair the issue.

What would this "test" he performed mean or indicate?

When I suggested if replacing piston rings could not just be done by pulling the heads off, he stated that this motor has a double timing chain that is a nightmare to deal with.

what would be the recommendation of members here? If I had the funds, I'd do this right, by having someone pull the motor and such, but I need to do as much as I can myself as I don't have a lot of money to play with.

Help!!!!
The "test" was merely observing massive blow-by coming out the oil filler. With that info and the picture of the shart out the tailpipe, I concur with his evaluation that the engine should be taken out and replaced or rebuilt due to internal damage.

Old 06-29-2016, 06:59 PM
Santimanzano
Junior User
Originally Posted by Sam I Am
The "test" was merely observing massive blow-by coming out the oil filler. With that info and the picture of the shart out the tailpipe, I concur with his evaluation that the engine should be taken out and replaced or rebuilt due to internal damage.
Thank you sir. Now to re-evaluate my options with this. What I thought would be a good deal, seems to be turning into a turd with dollar signs attached.