6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

03 superduty mishimoto radiator tranny line problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2016, 12:08 AM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by vehiclesbreak4me
I am in the process of installing a suposedly mishimoto radiator in my late build 2004 f 250. My transmission lines do fit but I am also concerned about the small holes at bottom of my fittings going into radiator. No where on my radiator is a serial number or mishimoto name. I Would post pictures but that is beyond my ability.
Photos are very easy here is the how to link >>> https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...he-forums.html

You want to click on the little icon and then you can browse your device (computer)
for the image you want to post of if you have it already posted somewhere you
can just put the URL in the other space and upload it.

My thoughts on this.

Sounds like one more reason I will not be using anything from them.
First the issue with the T-stats and now this.

Mark K might be the one that can say just how much the size of the
hold will effect the cooling or not. Lets see what he says if we can
get him to stop in.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 06-24-2016, 10:11 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,575 Likes on 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by tfunk88
I'm positive you need to remove that adapter from your old radiator. That's your missing piece and it will screw right into the Mishimoto radiator.
I think that's the solution. In the photo of your old radiator there is a metal adapter. I think your new radiator needs that adapter, then the OEM lines crew into that.

Old 06-24-2016, 11:28 AM
87crewdually
Lead Driver
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I think that's the solution. In the photo of your old radiator there is a metal adapter. I think your new radiator needs that adapter, then the OEM lines crew into that.
In a normal OEM situation but it's been determined that the old radiator is possibly an aftermarket replacement that utilized different adapters than OEM so the adapters don't fit the Mishimoto radiator. (see previous posts with pics)

His current problem and the concern is the tiny port hole Mishimoto is using now compared to the OEM and the one in the video.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:47 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Bigblackbuild
but those tiny 7/32 transmission fluid holes entering the mishimoto radiator just doesn't seem right to me. imagine how I would feel if I burned up my tranny because of them
And that's a real possibility. That is WAY too small! It is going to be very restrictive and severely limit your transmission cooling.

Old 06-24-2016, 09:44 PM
vehiclesbreak4me
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mr Sean and it is always great to hear from Mark K about our transmissions

Old 06-25-2016, 02:45 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
So now the question is, do all Mishimoto radiators have 7/16 holes in them or just his e-bay model?

Old 06-25-2016, 03:24 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

A 7/16 hole would work just fine. He said 7/32. There is a HUGE difference between those two diameters.

Old 06-25-2016, 06:12 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
That was my mistake Mark. Thank you.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Bigger Hammer
Freshman User
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Can't comment on the adapter for an O3 as I have an O5, but I can tell you that the transmission cooler "orifice" does seem to be the standard size for the Mishi radiators. I ran one for 6 or 8 months before finally getting Mishi to accept it back as a return because it was was causing my engine to run hot, but the trans never got hot.
To my knowledge it was first documented here:
eBay aluminum radiator help - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
I saw the same thing with mine, but didn't get any pics. Some comments in this thread:
Cooling troubleshooting & radiator comparison - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Sorry if I've violated some rule on cross-forum posting, I looked and didn't see anything.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:17 AM
Bigblackbuild
Freshman User
I've been in contact with mishimoto about my problem.....the 7/32 hole for the tranny fluid. They have confirmed that this is a machining error. Do not install it in its current condition or you'll have trouble. I'm not very excited about there suggested fix though. They asked me if I could drill it out to the correct size. While it is possible this isn't for the faint hearted. If I attempt this I will do a full write up with proper tools and procedures.

Old 06-26-2016, 09:43 AM
TooManyToys.
Hotshot

Received 2,074 Likes on 1,404 Posts
Mark would be the person to comment on transmission temperature, but my uninformed opinion is these transmissions seem to run cooler then many other designs until they do some serious towing. So a compromised cooling ability of the radiator may not show up for many.

Radiator design though has a lot of variations and aftermarket companies often compromise design towards production ignoring some of the wider operating parameters, and they often don't look towards all of the design parameters that can effect conditions. Coming from a career where both OE and aftermarket products were manufactured, it's was interesting to see all the aspects that engineers from manufacturers like Ford go through, whereas the aftermarket side doesn't consider those factors.

In a thread about the Mitso T/S I mentioned I would not be purchasing that item. I thought the company didn't do it's due diligence in researching the housing variations that plagued some installations, and if they did, the T/S would only be sold as a package with a housing it was compatible with.

From this forum and the others, I don't think they did their due diligence here either. Engine cooling isn't as considered as it should be, but the transmission itself is better positioned to handle the compromised design under common driving. The OE design is better thought out for both the engine and transmission full range.

Edit:

After reading Bigblackbuilds post, a manufacturing error like this does nothing to sway my opinion.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:06 AM
Bigblackbuild
Freshman User
After everything I've been through with aftermarket vs OEM during my build I've learned a thing or two. Even though go fast aftermarket goodies are very appealing OEM is the absolute right answer. Fit and finish you can't go wrong. The major exception is of course studs over tty bolt so I'm not bashing any aftermarket goodies. You just have to be smart about it and do your research.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:20 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by Bigblackbuild
They asked me if I could drill it out to the correct size.
How will you keep machining chips from getting into the cooler? One chip left in the cooler can work it's way into the trans and possibly cause a trans failure.

Originally Posted by TooManyToys.
Mark would be the person to comment on transmission temperature, but my uninformed opinion is these transmissions seem to run cooler then many other designs until they do some serious towing. So a compromised cooling ability of the radiator may not show up for many.
I agree with that. For probably 90% of the vehicle's life that restriction wouldn't cause a problem. But when you need a lot of cooling, that radiator won't have it.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:10 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
How will you keep machining chips from getting into the cooler? One chip left in the cooler can work it's way into the trans and possibly cause a trans failure.

I agree with that. For probably 90% of the vehicle's life that restriction wouldn't cause a problem. But when you need a lot of cooling, that radiator won't have it.
Mark I agree with you about the chips. Even with air flowing from the tank
I think you still have a risk of something curling back in and not getting blown
out of the tank. If it were me and I just paid that much money for something that
should of been right in the first place I think it would go back into the box and they
would be sending me a shipping label and RAM # to go with it.

Sean <BR>

6.0L Tech Folder

Old 06-26-2016, 07:45 PM
seijirou
Cargo Master
Received 391 Likes on 240 Posts
Oh hell no on drilling those out. If Mishi is actually suggesting this they are trying to take the cheap way out and asking you to accept all the risk. Not only would I not do that, I wouldn't accept a new one from them either out of fear they'd try to do the same thing and ship you a drilled radiator.

Quick Reply: 03 superduty mishimoto radiator tranny line problem