1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Possible very dumb question...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2016, 05:28 PM
cpskully
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Possible very dumb question...

Hey all, long time lurker (thanks for all the tips) first time poster.

I have a very weird question that I cant seem to find any info on. It might be because its probably a huge resounding NO WAY. So here goes:

A guy near me is selling a great set of parts that is basically EVERYTHING I want for my truck (1961 f100 Stepside). It includes a brand new set of fat white walls with nice powdercoated rims, and a complete suspension including a dropped axle with front disc conversion, and a flipped/lowered rear axle. Its cheap too.

THE CATCH? its from a 55 Chevy Apache.

I guess my question is: how much fabrication would be involved to fit this on my f100? Am i crazy to even think of it??

Old 06-21-2016, 06:21 PM
gangstakr
Logistics Pro
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by cpskully
Hey all, long time lurker (thanks for all the tips) first time poster.

I have a very weird question that I cant seem to find any info on. It might be because its probably a huge resounding NO WAY. So here goes:

A guy near me is selling a great set of parts that is basically EVERYTHING I want for my truck (1961 f100 Stepside). It includes a brand new set of fat white walls with nice powdercoated rims, and a complete suspension including a dropped axle with front disc conversion, and a flipped/lowered rear axle. Its cheap too.

THE CATCH? its from a 55 Chevy Apache.

I guess my question is: how much fabrication would be involved to fit this on my f100? Am i crazy to even think of it??
Probably, why do you ask?

Old 06-21-2016, 06:24 PM
cpskully
New User
Well... I would like to buy it cheap and knock out a lot of my build purchasing in one very cheap batch. But if I cant use any of it other than the tires, its no longer a good deal.

Old 06-21-2016, 06:56 PM
g4g2g7
Mountain Pass
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Anything can be made to fit with enough time, effort, and additional money. You need to start with some initial basic research on your end...track width of the Chevy stuff vs Ford, distance between spring mounts on axles, is the Chevy rear a leaf spring set-up or had they gone to truck arms by then?, etc. This list is just a drop in the bucket of what you need to look into. You're probably looking for an easy yes/no answer for which the quick answer is No, it won't fit, but back to my earlier comments, some research (& actual measurements of the stuff you are looking to buy) will tell you whether or not you can MAKE it work with some extra fab work.

Old 06-21-2016, 08:15 PM
cpskully
New User
Originally Posted by g4g2g7
Anything can be made to fit with enough time, effort, and additional money. You need to start with some initial basic research on your end...track width of the Chevy stuff vs Ford, distance between spring mounts on axles, is the Chevy rear a leaf spring set-up or had they gone to truck arms by then?, etc. This list is just a drop in the bucket of what you need to look into. You're probably looking for an easy yes/no answer for which the quick answer is No, it won't fit, but back to my earlier comments, some research (& actual measurements of the stuff you are looking to buy) will tell you whether or not you can MAKE it work with some extra fab work.

Yeah.. ill have to take a lot of measurements and go check the setup out. everything LOOKS eerily similar to my axles/leafs/shocks in the pics, but we all know a few inches will cause a lot of headaches. Thank you!