Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Huh.
Meant parents stupid autocorrect!

Old 07-07-2016, 10:26 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by cowmilker08

So its normal for it to be jerky at like 35 mph? I do need to change the oil and fuel filters. Hopefully the fuel filter isn't black, but I bet it probably is. With 175,000 miles, its probably about due for some fresh injectors.
I wouldn't neccasary say normal. But depending on the miles(didn't see how many your truck has), condition of the drivetrain(u joints, driveshaft out of balance?, differential bearing going out, etc) and what the truck was used for(hauling heavy, snowplowing, hot rod, etc) a shutter might be normal. My truck has 282,000 miles. I have plowed with it for the last 8 years, I tow regularly. I have a 82,000 mile old tranny, can't seem to keep u joints or a driveshaft balanced(front or rear) for longer then 2 1/2 to 3 years. I have a shutter that happens going from gas pedal to idle and then back to gas.

Moral of the story don't give up on her yet. Make sure drivetrain in good and fresh fluids everywhere before getting frustrated. I know that easier said then done. These are great trucks. They just need a little TLC before you see the good side, especially if the previous owner wasn't a regular maintenance person.

I love my early 99. Besides the cost of injectors

Old 07-08-2016, 08:03 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope your right, truck ran awful this morning. New problem. It acted like it was running out of fuel for a while then it just seemed low on power. I'm at about 1/4 tank, I'm gonna fill it up and see if that problem goes away. Might just be something wrong with the pick up.

I was really hoping to just drive this truck and not have a bunch of repairs to do. Truck has 175,000 miles. My 97 is 10x the truck that this one is so far.

Old 07-09-2016, 07:08 AM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

I hope your right, truck ran awful this morning. New problem. It acted like it was running out of fuel for a while then it just seemed low on power. I'm at about 1/4 tank, I'm gonna fill it up and see if that problem goes away. Might just be something wrong with the pick up.

I was really hoping to just drive this truck and not have a bunch of repairs to do. Truck has 175,000 miles. My 97 is 10x the truck that this one is so far.
The 1/4 tank running rough is probably the pick up foot fell off in the take. I actually am going through the same thing with my truck right now. I would start filling up before that until for get it fixed. Don't push it too much or your gonna burn up your fuel pump. Have you done fresh fluids and filters? Fuel, oil, air?

Old 07-09-2016, 09:13 PM
marshallstanford
Junior User
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
The running rough from time to time could be the need for a fresh oil change. I know my truck runs rough when it time to change the oil. My truck does the blue smoke as well, but I know that I need injectors. Just don't have the money right now. My truck kinda does the tranny things too. I really think you are describing normal characteristics of the 7.3 superdutys. In my opinion that is.
Welcome to the early 99 club! haha I love mine except for the smoke... Firefighter, you said you need injectors cause it is blue smoking... I am wondering if mine is smoking because of the injectors... Can the injectors make it smoke other than the external o rings?

Cowmilker,
My truck is also the same color and has the typical early 99 bad paint... I notice your clear coat looked faded but mine chips off. Quick tip is to buy tough up paint from ford and chip the clear coat away then touch up paint it and clear coat it with the clear coat that comes with the tough up marker along the edge. It has stopped mine from continuing to peel for almost a year! Good luck with your truck!

Old 07-09-2016, 10:22 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Is that something that needs addressed soon? Or if the turbo shaft play is good, then don't worry about it?

I suppose it could be, but my OBS powerstrokes don't make this particular noise.

So its normal for it to be jerky at like 35 mph? I do need to change the oil and fuel filters. Hopefully the fuel filter isn't black, but I bet it probably is. With 175,000 miles, its probably about due for some fresh injectors.
New injector o rings might help with the blue smoke in the morning, and run smoother in general. Synthetic oil really helps tired injectors work better. Any codes? If only rough at one speed I'd think drivetrain.

Old 07-09-2016, 10:41 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by marshallstanford
Welcome to the early 99 club! haha I love mine except for the smoke... Firefighter, you said you need injectors cause it is blue smoking... I am wondering if mine is smoking because of the injectors... Can the injectors make it smoke other than the external o rings?
I meant to say my truck smokes as well. I do need new injectors but I know that because I have run numbers with my A/E and the fact that I popped the valve covers and replaced the o rings to try and baby it along and it didn't help. I have a couple injectors that are not firing at all when cold. I didn't mean to mis lead anybody with how I worded it. The switch to synthetic was a good thing, it has helped the injectors some, just isn't the fix all.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:52 PM
MugenNeuspeed
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nice find, I got a white one

Old 07-11-2016, 11:56 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
The 1/4 tank running rough is probably the pick up foot fell off in the take. I actually am going through the same thing with my truck right now. I would start filling up before that until for get it fixed. Don't push it too much or your gonna burn up your fuel pump. Have you done fresh fluids and filters? Fuel, oil, air?
Do these trucks have a light and set a code if the fuel pressure is low? I filled it up, and it seems to run the same. I don't think its a pick up issue. Actually, it seems to be moisture related. The times that it has ran rough its been really, really humid.

Filters/oil will come after RRE. Is anyone else here going?

I think the picture is deceiving on the clear coat. It actually just has 2 small spots where the clear coat is peeling. I'll give the touch up kit a try. What's the best way to chip around the area to be touched-up?

Old 07-12-2016, 10:07 AM
Jaime74656
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Light no, codes perhaps, you should have a fuel test port on the fuel rail that you can use to test with IIRC 65 is the magic number at idle

Old 07-13-2016, 02:27 PM
akorcovelos
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is a water in fuel light. Have you changed the fuel filter yet?

Old 07-13-2016, 05:43 PM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 786 Likes on 575 Posts
Do these trucks have a light and set a code if the fuel pressure is low?
No fuel pressure gauge from the factory, but a very common mod. Useful for troubleshooting issues like you're having.

So no CEL, right? What do you have to read codes?

Old 07-18-2016, 09:48 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
I haven't worked on it yet at all. I've only driven it about 250 miles since I bought it. I just got home from RRE last night to find a puddle of ATF under the truck. I'm gonna look at it real hard to make sure where the leak is because the puddle was about a foot behind the inspection cover.

I have Torque Pro to read codes, just haven't done it yet.

No CEL yet.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:46 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
So how was RRE? I'm sure some of those guys could of answered your questions as well.

Old 07-19-2016, 07:49 AM
cowmilker08
Postmaster
I'm sure they could have but I drove my 97, and plus I was on vacation. The last thing I wanted to do was think about problems. RRE was a blast again this year! I met up with some guys I met last year and met plenty of new people too.

I think my ATF leak was coming from the dipstick tube where it goes into the trans. I've got pics and a video to upload later today.

Quick Reply: I bought an Early 99