1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locker. Where to begin?

Old 06-23-2016, 10:21 AM
FoxRodder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes the OX is $$$$$ I agree. I'm sweating it right this moment but on the verge of ordering. I'm on the fence about to fall on the air shifter

I was initially in love with the cable idea for simplicity sake, but got kind of away from that for fear that it may get stretch in it when least expected as well as wondering about any binding/disengaging issues that could arise. I'm probably being over dramatic about it, but from what I see about the air system, its just no question that its either on or off with no worries about adjustment issues. The electric would be attractive except that it still uses the same cable system which to me kinda defeats the purpose.

The issue with the air system is then that its another 140$ upgrade cost for the integrated air cover that's different from the cable style because the piston is built in, but then more cost added on for the air supply to think about. They have a low end cheapie compressor kit for 100$ that uses like the smallest size viair 9% duty cycle compressor with no tank. I'm sure it would do the job but it serves no other purpose like tires, tools, horns etc. The better high duty cycle viair/ARB kits on the market seem to be 250-350$ starting out...more money

I initially thought the E-Locker was the way to go but apparently they are not highly reliable. Next I was close to deciding on a TrueTrac for the front diff as well as the rear. I ended up seeing lots of people of random vehicles have issues with the housings busting. That was kind of scaring me and then my buddy mentioned the OX which got me real interested. The OX is supposedly made of forged steel cut from bar stock of the same grade as many gear sets rather than cast like the Eatons. I think that right there is the key. Also the 4 pinion design is supposed to be strong. I'm still sold on a TrueTrac for the rear axle on a street driven truck though as nothing else compares and it comes very highly recommended by my good buddy. In fact I have a TrueTrac sitting in my closet already for the 8.8 in my daily driver Rustang that I've been too lazy to get installed.

I'm close to convincing myself to pull the trigger on the ox and you guys aint helping

Old 06-23-2016, 02:47 PM
kcducttaper
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Lol. Rustang. I like it.

As expensive as the OX is, it really does seem like the best way to go and I don't want to have to be doing this job over again for sure.

I'm kinda the same way with air vs electrics though I don't really see any big issues with it not disengaging. If I had air, I'd just do the air version, but I can't hardly justify a "proper" air system when I could just run a small 12v compressor from Home De-pot in the rare case that I might need one for tires. Maybe sometime in the future...

As far as the electric cable things goes for the OX lockers, I found this video on the youtubes that shows the electric cable setup. It seems to have a pretty stout cable with a gob of tolerance, so I hardly think the cable stretching would be much of a problem. Personally, I'd be more worried about water and junk getting in it and rusting it out than anything.

Old 06-24-2016, 07:03 AM
FoxRodder
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good points. One of the thoughts I have on tire pumping: I've been stowing a cigarette lighter type compressor for about 20 years. I've used them many times for myself or for random people. Those things take forever to inflate a regular 32 psi 26" tire. Looking to add 35" 80 psi LT tires and thinking I'd have to burn one of those up to get to maybe 40-50 psi on one tire. Even my tiny 4x8 utility trailer calls for 60 psi. I've always wanted some REAL air horns as well although I can hardly justify the cost on that aspect.

Having a hard time making a decision

Old 06-24-2016, 08:33 AM
IDI Diesel
More Turbo
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Iv installed 2 air horn systems, can be done for $500 based on kit specs and compressor quality