Polished 7.3 Valve Covers - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Polished 7.3 Valve Covers

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2016, 12:16 AM
Senior User

0500757Arf is starting off with a positive reputation.
Polished 7.3 Valve Covers

So I decided to remove the paint from my 7.3's valve covers and polish them up but don't know how to go about keeping them from rusting....I've heard that you can't clear coat steel as rust will always find a way to penetrate and reek havoc. Any suggestions or ideas? I really like the polished valve cover look especially with all the bare aluminum and what not I have on the motor and really don't want to paint them. Thanks!

Old 06-20-2016, 12:22 AM
Methanoholic

Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.
They have clear engine paint now that holds up pretty good I understand, Checkout out eastwood.

O-yea, Pretty!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~
Old 06-20-2016, 12:43 AM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
They have clear engine paint now that holds up pretty good I understand, Checkout out eastwood.

O-yea, Pretty!

-Enjoy
I've seen that and planned on using just that but apparently everyone online seams to think that it's useless because the rust's guaranteed to find it's way in? I didn't catch how old the treads were where I saw all that but yeah. The engine clear coat seams like the logical thing to use as the valve covers do get a bit warm but another thing I was wondering if I used it how would I even apply it because the surface is polished and shinny and not rough so how well would it actually stick is another thing I'm wondering.
Old 06-20-2016, 12:48 AM
Senior User

rossterman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just send them to be chromed
Old 06-20-2016, 12:53 AM
Senior User

Really trying to do everything myself on this one.
Old 06-20-2016, 01:17 AM
Methanoholic

Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.Festus Hagen has a great reputation on FTE.
As long as it is sealed, rust (moister) can't get in ... One chip or dry spot and boom, rust creeps in.

Personally, I would call Eastwood and ask, every time I have called them they have treated me right, even at the cost of a sale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossterman View Post
Just send them to be chromed
Today's chrome is electrolytic nickel plating which is cheap crap and expensive ... Unless you spend the real big bux for autocatalytic nickel plating with hard chrome.

-Enjoy
Old 06-20-2016, 11:41 PM
Senior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
As long as it is sealed, rust (moister) can't get in ... One chip or dry spot and boom, rust creeps in.

Personally, I would call Eastwood and ask, every time I have called them they have treated me right, even at the cost of a sale!

Today's chrome is electrolytic nickel plating which is cheap crap and expensive ... Unless you spend the real big bux for autocatalytic nickel plating with hard chrome.

-Enjoy
Yeah I figured I would get a rattle can of high heat clear coat and use one can on each cover to ensure I have full and good coverage. Ill have to give em a call and see what they think on the subject! Another thing that scares me about the chrome is the heat the valve covers will see. Sure they won't get crazy hot but they'll get hotter then a chrome dipped bumper or trim piece and I don't know how well it would hold up to the heat.
Old 06-21-2016, 09:13 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
ONE can is MORE than enough to do BOTH valve covers.

When it comes to paint, MORE is NOT better
Old 06-21-2016, 09:40 AM
Posting Guru

f100today is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.f100today is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0500757Arf View Post
Yeah I figured I would get a rattle can of high heat clear coat and use one can on each cover to ensure I have full and good coverage. Ill have to give em a call and see what they think on the subject! Another thing that scares me about the chrome is the heat the valve covers will see. Sure they won't get crazy hot but they'll get hotter then a chrome dipped bumper or trim piece and I don't know how well it would hold up to the heat.
They have been putting chrome parts on engines for years with no issues so that really is no concern. One can per cover is way too much and a guarantee it will peel off, especially with no primer. You might consider clear powder coating or better yet get them ceramic coated like headers. They will pretty much look like chrome and last forever in your application.
Old 06-21-2016, 10:42 AM
Methanoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_Brad View Post
ONE can is MORE than enough to do BOTH valve covers.

When it comes to paint, MORE is NOT better
Agreed ... The thicker the paint the easier it chips.

-Enjoy
Old 06-22-2016, 02:38 AM
Senior User

Did not know that bit about paint so thanks for saving me on that one guys haha I called and they told me I'd be better off just getting them chromed but for time being gonna see how well high heat ceramic clear works. Debating on using an adhesion promoter to help with application as it's such a smooth surface I'm painting being polished and what not. What you guys think about using the adhesion promoter? Way I figure worst come worst they fail and I take em off and go a different route. If it came to that I'm only a few hours of work and a couple dollars wasted ya know? Rather experiment for a few hours and dollars then pay someone big bucks to do it a proven way.
Old 06-22-2016, 03:01 AM
Methanoholic

I'd be concerned adhesion promoters (chemical etching) would cause a dulling effect ... But that is just a guess, never tried it.

On the other hand, it'll help it stick!

-Enjoy
Old 06-22-2016, 10:34 AM
Post Fiend

Diesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud ofDiesel_Brad has much to be proud of
Just be prepared for a different look once the clear goes on
Old 06-22-2016, 11:14 AM
Senior User

I think I'll just polish up a test piece and test the two different methods first.
Old 06-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Methanoholic

Test panels are always a good thing!

-Enjoy