Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

7.3 IDI no start after new injectors...

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 11:33 AM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Festus Hagen
It could be, but likely not, they would have to be pretty loose, with the injector end unhooked there is no back pressure, dry/clean them off and see if they are leaking.

-Enjoy
fh : )_~
Okie dokie! Funnily enough, I locked my keys in my car so before I can charge it, I had to call AAA to come get the keys out.

After that I'm going to charge the battery with my friend's Colorado and see if it starts then, if not, I'll check the injector side connection and if I see nothing there, I may or may not have a mechanic sort it out

Old 06-19-2016, 11:53 AM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
That might be harder then you think, 9 out of 10 mechanics today won't be able to find the Diagnostic port ... Thus unable to help!

FYI, They do not have a diagnostic port ...

A bonus would be if you had two cars and two sets of jumper cables, one for each battery. Though one with a good set of jumper cables should do just fine unless both your batteries are dead!

Triple A could jump it as well ... Just have it assembled to a run-able condition first.

-Enjoy

Old 06-19-2016, 12:10 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
That might be harder then you think, 9 out of 10 mechanics today won't be able to find the Diagnostic port ... Thus unable to help!

A bonus would be if you had two cars and two sets of jumper cables, one for each battery. Though one with a good set of jumper cables should do just fine unless both your batteries are dead!

Triple A could jump it as well ... Just have it assembled to a run-able condition first.

-Enjoy
Still just white smoke. With bad cables, how long should I give it to charge?

Old 06-19-2016, 12:32 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Like I said ... White smoke indicates super heated unburnt fuel.

I would really look into the glow plugs.

The poorer the cables the longer it will take, if you can get your hands on another set of cables, double them up. Hold the charging vehicles throttle just above idle.

These trucks take a lot of amps to start, that is why they have dual batteries.

-Enjoy

Old 06-19-2016, 12:45 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
Like I said ... White smoke indicates super heated unburnt fuel.

I would really look into the glow plugs.

The poorer the cables the longer it will take, if you can get your hands on another set of cables, double them up. Hold the charging vehicles throttle just above idle.

These trucks take a lot of amps to start, that is why they have dual batteries.

-Enjoy
Okie dokie, I ran by O'Reillys and they said they only had Autolite in stock. I ran as fast as I could lol. There is one by me that has the MotorCraft ones in stock so I'll go buy 8 of those. Also, anything I should know about glow plug install? If I can do injectors, can I do glow plugs?

Old 06-19-2016, 01:01 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru

-Enjoy
Also, just to verify, there is very little white smoke coming out the exhaust. Not like huge plumes of it...

Old 06-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
There wouldn't/shouldn't be much, the IP is at idle.

Smell it ... I'd bet it smells like fuel!

Wait until it starts ... You'll likely see a plume for a few seconds!

-Enjoy

Old 06-19-2016, 01:20 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bet its not turning over fast enough. If its a MT you can pull start it.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:31 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Originally Posted by bashby
I bet its not turning over fast enough. If its a MT you can pull start it.
I'm inclined to agree.

It's an automatic, IP has a VRV ...

-Enjoy

Old 06-19-2016, 01:49 PM
bashby
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It will take a while to charge it with jumper cables. I'd give it at least a half hour. The best thing to do is put a good battery charger on it but jumper cables should work. If you are getting white smoke and it still doesn't at least try to start don't keep trying, let it charge more. Hold the throttle wide open while cranking. Lots of people use ether and don't blow their engines up. I have never heard of anyone blowing one. If you disable the glow plugs or wait a minute after they quit cycling and give it a small shot of ether it should be fine.

Old 06-19-2016, 02:06 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
It will take a while to charge it with jumper cables. I'd give it at least a half hour. The best thing to do is put a good battery charger on it but jumper cables should work. If you are getting white smoke and it still doesn't at least try to start don't keep trying, let it charge more. Hold the throttle wide open while cranking. Lots of people use ether and don't blow their engines up. I have never heard of anyone blowing one. If you disable the glow plugs or wait a minute after they quit cycling and give it a small shot of ether it should be fine.
I bought some much better jumper cables (2GA) and am charging the other battery a bit.

It's possible that the batteries just all of a sudden don't have enough juice to crank it?

Old 06-19-2016, 02:07 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
I just went back and studied your images ... I see a few things that concern me, but before saying to much, We might not be seeing how it currently is, So if you would, snap three more images:
  • One of the Filter head and IP
  • One of each bank of injectors
You did get all the old copper injector seals out, and all the new ones back in?
I see one laying in the valley, looks new!

Get rid of that bolt in the return line used as a plug, use something smooth, even a bolt shank on a long bolt would be better then the threads of that short bolt. Unless I'm missing my guess that it is a shankless threaded bolt!

My bet is your are having multiple issues, all stacking against you.
Low batteries
Glow plugs
Air Intrusion

And must be solved in that order ... It will start with Air intrusion, It just takes good batteries fully charged and good glow plugs.

Remember, If you have air intrusion, every time you walk away and leave it set, the fuel drains back, then you have to pump it back up thus wearing the batteries down even more.

If you do leave it set all day (better yet all night), the first thing to do when you get back is pull the fuel filter and see if it's full, if not, fill it with CLEAN fuel by pouring in the small outer holes, not the big center hole ... You can use a diesel injector cleaner like Diesel Kleen instead of diesel, it will start and run just fine on them ... A bit noisy, but fine.

Ok, Gotta ask ... You did plug the IP back in?

Turn that frustration into a challenge, you'll smack it out of the park and feel so rewarded in the end!

-Enjoy

Old 06-19-2016, 02:12 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
I just went back and studied your images ... I see a few things that concern me, but before saying to much, We might not be seeing how it currently is, So if you would, snap three more images:
  • One of the Filter head and IP
  • One of each bank of injectors
You did get all the old copper injector seals out, and all the new ones back in?
I see one laying in the valley, looks new!

Get rid of that bolt in the return line used as a plug, use something smooth, even a bolt shank on a long bolt would be better then the threads of that short bolt. Unless I'm missing my guess that it is a shankless threaded bolt!

My bet is your are having multiple issues, all stacking against you.
Low batteries
Glow plugs
Air Intrusion

And must be solved in that order ... It will start with Air intrusion, It just takes good batteries fully charged and good glow plugs.

Remember, If you have air intrusion, every time you walk away and leave it set, the fuel drains back, then you have to pump it back up thus wearing the batteries down even more.

If you do leave it set all day (better yet all night), the first thing to do when you get back is pull the fuel filter and see if it's full, if not fill it with CLEAN fuel by pouring in the small outer holes, not the big center hole ... You can use a diesel injector cleaner like Diesel Kleen instead of diesel, it will start and run just fine on them ... A bit noisy, but fine.

Ok, Gotta ask ... You did plug the IP back in?

Turn that frustration into a challenge, you'll smack it out of the park and feel so rewarded in the end!

-Enjoy

I did remember to plug the IP back in! I was surprised I remembered lol.

And what is the different between shankless and non shankless, I have no idea haha.

Here are the pictures you requested! Name:  photo284.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  1.07 MBName:  photo952.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  1.34 MBName:  photo594.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  1.21 MB

Old 06-19-2016, 02:21 PM
DieselCamper
Posting Guru
She started!!!! For about 5 seconds and then died again...there's something spraying from the IP so I guess something isn't tightened all the way down there, but it's good she started!

Old 06-19-2016, 02:23 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Lots of people use ether and don't blow their engines up. I have never heard of anyone blowing one. If you disable the glow plugs or wait a minute after they quit cycling and give it a small shot of ether it should be fine.
You have now, I personally have seen it and it's results many times!
It only takes once to change your view!

-Enjoy

Quick Reply: 7.3 IDI no start after new injectors...